Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Volvo id

Views : 1167

Replies : 14

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 16th, 2020, 18:18   #1
Wispyone

Default Volvo id

Good evening

So I picked up my new to me 2017 V90 yesterday and its very well equipped with every extra I could want. ....... Except 1, Volvo on call. Definitely not a deal breaker as I love the car.
Question is, looking at the Volvo quick guide it mentions Volvo id and from the download centre the Volvo id all is downloaded to the vehicle.
What the hell does it do?? Everything I read days it's a benefit to have but logging into the Volvo website with my Volvo id does nothing. It says I can delete it or change the password and that's about it.

Also struggling to connect the vehicle, my mobile is connected by bluetooth but I could only download the apps by connecting to the house wifi, as it said there was no connection
Is there a SIM holder somewhere? Again book says in boot but can't find it.

Cheers

Richard
Wispyone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16th, 2020, 18:45   #2
nu11eaf
Premier Member

As you have already found out Volvo i.d is a waste of time and in nearly 4 years with this car I can't see any use for it and never needed it.
I can not see any point of the app.

Connecting your phone data to your car:
Easiest way I find is to activate mobile hotspot on your phone and in Sensus settings/communications/wifi, un-tick wifi and select your phone from the available networks/phones,

This is the sim holder in my XC90, it may be in a different position in your V90 (near the seat backs)
20170704_135547~2.jpg
XC90 Inscription D5 Power pulse, 2017 MY, Savile grey, Blond Nappa, Leather dash/door tops, Walnut inlays, Dark tinted windows, Air suspension, Bliss/Cross traffic alert, Xenium/7 seat comfort/Family/Winter packs, 4 zone climate, Heated rear seats.

Last edited by nu11eaf; Mar 16th, 2020 at 19:15.
nu11eaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16th, 2020, 18:47   #3
shoppy

I believe when you pair your phone you have the option under settings of using it for internet. Volvo ID no idea. I only use it by my app to start the car.
The Following User Says Thank You to shoppy For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 16th, 2020, 19:43   #4
Wizzpop
Master Member

You need your VolvoID to link Volvo On Call app to your car. Can't recall how it's set up, but this article should help.
https://www.volvocars.com/uk/support...a801510b2bf7dc
Old Mar 16th, 2020, 21:08   #5
Wispyone

Quote:
Originally Posted by nu11eaf View Post
As you have already found out Volvo i.d is a waste of time and in nearly 4 years with this car I can't see any use for it and never needed it.
I can not see any point of the app.

Connecting your phone data to your car:
Easiest way I find is to activate mobile hotspot on your phone and in Sensus settings/communications/wifi, un-tick wifi and select your phone from the available networks/phones,

This is the sim holder in my XC90, it may be in a different position in your V90 (near the seat backs)
Attachment 125930
Thank you for the info, I will look again in daylight to see if I have a SIM holder. Do you have Volvo on call fitted to your car??
And if not is it worth fitting a SIM rather than using phone?
Old Mar 16th, 2020, 21:09   #6
Wispyone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizzpop View Post
You need your VolvoID to link Volvo On Call app to your car. Can't recall how it's set up, but this article should help.
https://www.volvocars.com/uk/support...a801510b2bf7dc
Cheers Wizzpop, but I don't have Volvo on call fitted
Old Mar 16th, 2020, 21:25   #7
MCV60
Master Member

I may be wrong, but my 2017 V90 doesn’t have the ‘on call’, therefore doesn’t have the data sim / holder.

I tether my phone to the Sensus and as explained the Volvo ID and app is pointless as you don’t get the remote accessibility as others.
Old Mar 16th, 2020, 21:54   #8
dchbrown

Mine does have on call and I've yet to work out what the Volvo ID in car app is for!
Old Mar 17th, 2020, 17:16   #9
Wispyone

Just had a good look and can't find a SIM card holder in the boot, i have also looked at tethering my phone as a mobile hotspot but it seems that to do that I have to turn off wifi on my mobile. What a pain in the ass having to turn it on/off depending on whether or not I am in doors or in the car!I

Oh well let's see how it goes
Old Mar 17th, 2020, 19:28   #10
Lexman8
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wispyone View Post
JI have also looked at tethering my phone as a mobile hotspot but it seems that to do that I have to turn off wifi on my mobile.
Use Bluetooth tethering instead of wi-fi. I use my Android phone (Pixel 2) and iPhone 11 to successfully tether this way. The car and phone will auto-connect every time you start the car without you having to do anything and leaves wifi undisturbed. It's not sufficient just to have your phone linked for normal voice connections. You need to specifically enable Bluetooth data sharing in the car and on your phone for it to work.

Bluetooth tethering is plenty fast enough for Spotify, Traffic, etc.

Last edited by Lexman8; Mar 17th, 2020 at 19:35.
Lexman8 is offline   Reply With Quote