Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Post lockdown problem

Views : 1743

Replies : 27

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 6th, 2020, 21:19   #21
clandyuk
940 LPT Est/V70XC AWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
As both wires that supply the injectors are commoned (greens to greens, greys to greys) they all fire at the same time - this is called Full Group or "batch-fire" injection and is common to most Volvo models from 1986 to ~1998. There are some exceptions .
This is what i had difficulty in understanding - they all fire at the same time! My thinking was that they should fire only on the intake stroke. Now you've drummed it into my head, of course, I now realise its basically the same as a carburettor in that the fuel is delivered to the inlet valve and is then inhaled when the valve opens. So delivery "en masse" is the only way and the "wait time" is measured in milliseconds.
I can now sleep easy. Thanks for your forbearance.

Andy
clandyuk is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to clandyuk For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 6th, 2020, 21:28   #22
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by clandyuk View Post
This is what i had difficulty in understanding - they all fire at the same time! My thinking was that they should fire only on the intake stroke. Now you've drummed it into my head, of course, I now realise its basically the same as a carburettor in that the fuel is delivered to the inlet valve and is then inhaled when the valve opens. So delivery "en masse" is the only way and the "wait time" is measured in milliseconds.
I can now sleep easy. Thanks for your forbearance.

Andy
Almost but not quite, the injection time is a few mS with a longer dwell time at low rpm and a longer injection time at higher rpm. This goes hand in hand with higher fuel pressure controlled by manifold vacuum to give increased fueling at high load/engine speed.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6th, 2020, 22:01   #23
clandyuk
940 LPT Est/V70XC AWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
Almost but not quite
Aww, give me a break. Mine was the layman's description, not the engineer's!
All's well that ends well.

Cheers
Andy
Old Jul 7th, 2020, 08:55   #24
Rversteeg
Master Member

Default Ballast resistors

By joining #1/#2 injector plugs they now both run on the same fire cracker. Not sure what this will do on the long run.
Rversteeg is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Rversteeg For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 7th, 2020, 10:05   #25
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rversteeg View Post
By joining #1/#2 injector plugs they now both run on the same fire cracker. Not sure what this will do on the long run.
Good point Rob, i forgot about that! I was concentrating on the fueling and forgetting the electronics.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Old Jul 7th, 2020, 22:43   #26
clandyuk
940 LPT Est/V70XC AWD

Quote:
V Good point. Think I'll run a wire from #1 back to the firecracker outside the loom and revert #2 back to be normal operation, to be on the safe side.
Thanks for pointing this out.
Old Jul 11th, 2020, 22:48   #27
clandyuk
940 LPT Est/V70XC AWD

Quote:
You have narrowed your problem down to the individual 12V feed wire of injector number 1....snip
As it was a nice day, I decided to do a "proper job" and follow your detailed reply rather than my hit 'n miss bypass approach!
Just as well I did. I checked the continuity from #1 injector back to C132 (back of connector) and to my surprise all was well - no break.
After silently apologising to Mr Mouse - and, NO, you're not getting your nut stash back, I then was worried that the problem was in the unobtainable Ballast resistor.
Prised the connector apart to be presented with

I removed the Ballast resistor to the bench and cleaned the connectors and also checked the resistance from the Blue wire terminal to the four others (Green wires) and all came back with the same resistance. Phew, nothing to worry about here.
I then cleaned as best I could the plug side and reconnected everything.
Checked #1 injector green wire with ignition on and Houston, we have POWER.
Engine started and we're back to all 4 cylinders.
So many thanks again for your detailed analysis of how to pinpoint the actual problem. Lesson learned - be methodical and don't assume!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Fuel injection connector C132 opt.jpg (18.5 KB, 20 views)
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to clandyuk For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 12th, 2020, 00:08   #28
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by clandyuk View Post
As it was a nice day, I decided to do a "proper job" and follow your detailed reply rather than my hit 'n miss bypass approach!
Just as well I did. I checked the continuity from #1 injector back to C132 (back of connector) and to my surprise all was well - no break.
After silently apologising to Mr Mouse - and, NO, you're not getting your nut stash back, I then was worried that the problem was in the unobtainable Ballast resistor.
Prised the connector apart to be presented with

I removed the Ballast resistor to the bench and cleaned the connectors and also checked the resistance from the Blue wire terminal to the four others (Green wires) and all came back with the same resistance. Phew, nothing to worry about here.
I then cleaned as best I could the plug side and reconnected everything.
Checked #1 injector green wire with ignition on and Houston, we have POWER.
Engine started and we're back to all 4 cylinders.
So many thanks again for your detailed analysis of how to pinpoint the actual problem. Lesson learned - be methodical and don't assume!
Usually something simple and almost always, the evidence is there from the start! Well done on tracing and fixing it! When you get five minutes, invest in a tube of silicone grease, pull that plug apart and squirt some in and reconnect the plug - it will keep water out and protect the pins in the plug from corroding again.

The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post: