Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Howay Guys. Urgent re gear lever bushes.

Views : 1354

Replies : 26

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 20th, 2019, 14:20   #1
Ian21401
Premier Member

Default Howay Guys. Urgent re gear lever bushes.

From gear lever bushes thread.
I’ve managed to remove the pin and the nylon bushes but no sign of any O ring.
The new O ring is a gentle interference fit over the collar of a new bush.
Anyone able to state definitively where the O ring is supposed to fit.
If you know the answer text or call 07775 518 147.

Thanks, Ian.

Last edited by Ian21401; Aug 20th, 2019 at 14:23.
Ian21401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20th, 2019, 15:30   #2
baggy798
🤍💙💗

Passenger side according to the diagrams.

Mine was missing an o-ring too. Can't say I felt any difference in tightness or shifting by adding one. Might try putting the o-ring on the other side and see how it shifts.

Old Aug 20th, 2019, 16:58   #3
griston64
Premier Member

I wonder if the original O ring disintegrates over 20+ years as no one seems to have one !

Also I wonder if replacing 31,32 and 38 would make more difference to the sloppiness ?
griston64 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to griston64 For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 20th, 2019, 17:19   #4
Ian21401
Premier Member

That’s what I presumed, O ring disintegrated etc.
Bushes etc now replaced. This is the first step in attempt to deal with a frequent reluctance to go into 1st or 2nd when stationary with the engine running. Slips in very easily if the car is rolling, even very slowly.
Will find out later when back on the road. When I was collecting the parts from my dealer the parts guy stated that he had known people almost snap the gear lever whilst trying to select 1st. New bushes etc. cured it.
If that doesn’t cure it I’ll consider the other bushes or possibly bleeding the clutch hydraulics.
Next job today is the long overdue fuel filter whilst car is still on ramps.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Ian21401 For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 20th, 2019, 19:20   #5
loki_the_glt
Torquemeister

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian21401 View Post
That’s what I presumed, O ring disintegrated etc.
Bushes etc now replaced. This is the first step in attempt to deal with a frequent reluctance to go into 1st or 2nd when stationary with the engine running. Slips in very easily if the car is rolling, even very slowly.
Will find out later when back on the road. When I was collecting the parts from my dealer the parts guy stated that he had known people almost snap the gear lever whilst trying to select 1st. New bushes etc. cured it.
If that doesn’t cure it I’ll consider the other bushes or possibly bleeding the clutch hydraulics.
Next job today is the long overdue fuel filter whilst car is still on ramps.
I wonder if that's been the underlying cause of the Valdez's occasional reluctance to give me first or second gear?!

loki_the_glt is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to loki_the_glt For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 20th, 2019, 22:48   #6
Ian21401
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by loki_the_glt View Post
I wonder if that's been the underlying cause of the Valdez's occasional reluctance to give me first or second gear?!
Quite possibly. My problem started as a very minor irregular irritation but over several months it became much worse and more often. I will report once I get it back on the road.
The Following User Says Thank You to Ian21401 For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 21st, 2019, 23:26   #7
Ian21401
Premier Member

Test drive this evening to the tip then the chippy. Gear selection from standstill with engine running still a problem. Very embarrassing when in a traffic queue with vehicles behind and I definitely don’t want to end the habit of a lifetime and start riding the clutch.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ian21401 For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 22nd, 2019, 09:41   #8
griston64
Premier Member

Have you drained and replaced the gearbox oil ? That may help. Make sure you get the correct stuff from the dealer even though the M46/47 might not be as fussy as the M90

I think the bushes that you replaced only help to alleviate the side to side play in the gear stick

I'm wondering whether replacing the nylon bush no 15 in the diagram would also help ?
griston64 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to griston64 For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 22nd, 2019, 10:15   #9
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Been following this thread and also the other one about gearlevers, got a couple of suggestions that may help with the ultimate diagnosis of the selection problems that seem to be fairly common judging by the comments in general!

First of all, check there are no mats, carpets etc that could interfere with fully depressing the clutch pedal. The original carpets are fine but any more than that and you need to remove them, even if only for the duration of testing just to be sure.

If coming to a stop or trying to select a lower gear to go round a junction or similar, depress the clutch, move to 3rd then swiftly into 2nd and then 1st if wanted. Don't let the clutch up while doing this and make each change as quick as possible.
Likewise if idling see if selecting 3rd then 2nd and finally 1st with the clutch fully depressed makes life easier.

If so, try bleeding the clutch hydraulics. If this still doesn't improve matters then it's either a selection problem within the box or the clutch is dragging.
This would almost certainly be due to a weak/worn pressure plate/cover which can be verified by switching the engine OFF, depressing the clutch and selecting all gears.

If any difficulty is encountered then it's a selection problem in the box although you may have to go 4th, 3rd, 2nd, 1st the first time just to align the synchro hubs. Also is reverse difficult to engage from idle? If so, this also points to a dragging clutch.

A final point about gearbox oil - when was it last changed? Sometimes fresh oil is enough to overcome any clutch drag if it's not too severe. However it can make selection of all gears copmaratively stiffer from cold but this usually disappears fairly quickly.

Something to remember is that most of you haven't owned the cars from new and have no idea how the previous owner treated the clutch - they could have rested their foot on it while driving, commonly called "riding the clutch". This causes extra wear on both the release (thrust) bearing and also the pressure plate, weakening it.

Good luck with reaching your conclusions and i'll keep following this.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 22nd, 2019, 11:04   #10
mocambique-amazone
Master Member

M46?
M47?
M90?

Which kind of gearbox????

Won't be a AW70-71 or ZF 22 :-)

Would be good to know, good luck, Kay
mocambique-amazone is offline   Reply With Quote