Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Bad running after new head gasket - cause?

Views : 28268

Replies : 386

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 18th, 2013, 12:10   #41
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Does it come with a free egg fried rice?

I have no idea if i'm correct on this but most of the models he lists as being compatible are newer and as such will have the OBD-II (OBD2) socket as it was made standard by some group of politicians (the EU i think!) in the late 90s i believe.
If yours is the "not quite" OBD2 then i'd hazard a guess that it probably won't work.

Also, have you seen this bit in his listing :

The item will be shipped out within 1 working days after payment was received. The package will be sent by Singapore post airmail. Normally the estimated delivery time is 15-25 working days. If you don't receive the item after the 30 days, please contact us first!!! we will do our best to solve the delivery problem for you.

It will take 3-5 weeks to get to you so if you're happy to wait........

Alternatively, have you tried Amazon :

Volvo OBD readers on Amazon

Not sure if you'll find what you need but might be something there?

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18th, 2013, 16:18   #42
Piet22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
Does it come with a free egg fried rice?

I have no idea if i'm correct on this but most of the models he lists as being compatible are newer and as such will have the OBD-II (OBD2) socket as it was made standard by some group of politicians (the EU i think!) in the late 90s i believe.
OBDII became mandatory in the USA in 1996 for all new cars.

The 940 ECU did not support OBDII and this is one of the reasons export of the 940 to the USA was terminated in 1996. Only a LED-code reader can be used with a 940.

Apparently Volvo did want to continue selling 960's in the USA because in 1996 a new ECU was introduced in the 960 (Motronic 4.4) that offered a relatively basic and not completely standard set of OBDII commands for error-diagnosis and live data read-out. Some commands can be read-out be generic OBD-readers, but since some commands do not confirm to the OBDII-standard it is better to use specific readers such as Vol-FCR or its German counterpart Brickdiag.

Piet

Piet
Piet22 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Piet22 For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 18th, 2013, 18:55   #43
rogerthechorister
Rogerthechorister

Default Vol-FCR

The VOL-FCR is what the first seller above said would ONLY read OBD2 compliant codes and it costs about £120 and requires a computer running Windows XP.
rogerthechorister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18th, 2013, 19:25   #44
davebslater(uk)
redbollock guru

richard , borrow my code reader i built....
Old Sep 18th, 2013, 19:52   #45
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerthechorister View Post
The VOL-FCR is what the first seller above said would ONLY read OBD2 compliant codes and it costs about £120 and requires a computer running Windows XP.
A computer with XP shouldn't be hard to find for little or no money, your local freegle may yield one.
As for the reader, if the seller is of the opinion it won't work then it's a fair bet it won't - at least he's honest about it!

Seems you have an offer of a code reader though - has to be worth a go!

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Old Sep 18th, 2013, 21:17   #46
Piet22

I use Vol-FCR with Windows 7 without problems.

An first alternative is to purchase a chinese DICE interface with VIDA. They can be found on Ebay from 60 Euros.

A second alternative if you have a smart phone is to use an OBD app (e.g. Torque on Android) and purchase a OBD-bluetooth interface on Ebay for 25 Euros.

Piet
Piet22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18th, 2013, 21:30   #47
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piet22 View Post
A second alternative if you have a smart phone is to use an OBD app (e.g. Torque on Android) and purchase a OBD-bluetooth interface on Ebay for 25 Euros.

Piet
Is this the sort of Bluetooth OBD Reader you mean Piet?

Old Sep 18th, 2013, 22:45   #48
rogerthechorister
Rogerthechorister

Default What car?

Can you be specific, please, Piet, what car you use these things on? '96 940s running LH2.4 are not OBD compliant (AFAIK). Compliance arrived with 960s running Motronic 4.something.
rogerthechorister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19th, 2013, 12:31   #49
cookie
Lord B on T5D5.org

Search out dooby, as I know he has VOL-FCR and it reads the 4.3 Motronic 850's with the non OBD compliant port under ashtray in cabin

IIRC it reads anything volvo that has the port that looks like an obd plug inside car. so the later 900 cars and 400's can be read with it, I don't think VIDA will, if you want to try if VIDA works on yours I'm happy to have a go, I'm in cliffe woods, but was lead to believe that from way back when I had the RWD Volvo's it was readable by the VOL FCR

edit

http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=179214

think that answers that, VIDA/DICE or VADIS/VCT only work with anything ME7 or newer

Last edited by cookie; Sep 19th, 2013 at 12:40. Reason: did a bit of research
cookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19th, 2013, 12:39   #50
cookie
Lord B on T5D5.org

Also, you can run XP as a virtual machine on a windows 8 machine, as I (and many others) do for VIDA and is an easier cheaper option than getting an old XP laptop that it then turns out doesn't have enough memory
cookie is offline   Reply With Quote