Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Euro 6 Diesel and AdBlue

Views : 31639

Replies : 24

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 5th, 2015, 11:31   #11
volvo145
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 960kg View Post
AdBlue comes from the Dealer only!

You must have made a mistake on that one as you can buy it at the pumps.
volvo145 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to volvo145 For This Useful Post:
Old May 5th, 2015, 11:48   #12
Rossi-fan
Premier Member

You can also buy it over the counter at most petrol station now, it comes in 1, 5 or 10 litre containers. Its around 60 to 70p per litre.
Rossi-fan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Rossi-fan For This Useful Post:
Old May 5th, 2015, 12:45   #13
960kg
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by volvo145 View Post
You must have made a mistake on that one as you can buy it at the pumps.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossi-fan View Post
You can also buy it over the counter at most petrol station now, it comes in 1, 5 or 10 litre containers. Its around 60 to 70p per litre.

WOW!.......i can be wrong after all.....Lol

I don`t have AdBlue with my C320 diesel so don`t know the in`s and out`s ...sorry

Mercedes C320CDI Sport Estate 3 litre V6 7 Gear Auto
Remap 290bhp 628Nm torque @ 1600revs 45.1mpg
960kg is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 960kg For This Useful Post:
Old May 5th, 2015, 12:58   #14
Rossi-fan
Premier Member

Quote:

I don`t have AdBlue with my C320 diesel so don`t know the in`s and out`s ...sorry
Apology Accepted.
Rossi-fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2015, 13:39   #15
volvo145
Premier Member

Quote:

Just don't put it into the fuel tank by mistake as happened to us in the artic.
We did manage to get 5 mtrs before we stopped.
volvo145 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2015, 13:54   #16
pgm
Master Member

Quote:
Volvo it seems are far behind with this technology as Mercedes have used it in their diesel cars and vans since about 2011 / 2012.

The AdBlue filler cap is usually next to the fuel filler cap.

The AdBlue tank is topped up each time your vehicle is serviced at an Approved Mercedes-Benz Retailer.

One litre of AdBlue is sufficient for approximately 625 miles of driving and the size of the AdBlue tank has been designed so that you should not have to refill AdBlue between services.

AdBlue consumption may be higher depending on the type of driving, mileage and road conditions.

How much it cost i don`t know!

One useful thing a light on the dash comes on at the 3 litre level mark in the AdBlue tank as the engine won`t start if empty!!

I wouldn't say any manufacturer is "behind" in the technology they all have to comply with regulations. Some have just chosen a different method than others and started using DEF sooner. There is no regulation that says they must use DEF just the emisions must be below a certain amount.

Paul
Old May 9th, 2015, 23:45   #17
Marty Dolomite
Premier Member

Quote:
So you can't use the Adblue that you buy at petrol stations or other shops?

Adblue is a DIY fill up, the car will have a small tank you just simply pour Adlue in, no special tools, no pump just remove lid from the bottle up so it glugs out.
Marty Dolomite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2015, 01:15   #18
DaveNP
Non VOC Member

I think the 'Adblue is topped up by the dealer in the service' is a pretty good sales gimmick. On trucks we have an Adblue tank next to the diesel tank and an Adblue pump next to the diesel pump in the yard. I did do a test for our company when we first had Adblue trucks in, as no one knew how much they would use and at the time we were going to the dealers to get the Adblue. While our trucks are double or triple shifted and filled with diesel every time they are used, the adblue tank is probably sufficient for a fortnight or more without a top up, convert that to a car and you can see that it only needs filling up about as often as a service. If the dealer includes this in the service they can add a bit of mystique and therefore add to the service cost and even charge a premium rate for the Adblue while they're at it (...it's a special chemical which our technicians have been specially trained to deal with sir....), and given that too many people driving new cars don't have any interest in how the car works they can get away with it.

David
V70 2.5 10v Torslanda Manual 98 Sreg
DaveNP is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DaveNP For This Useful Post:
Old May 10th, 2015, 14:56   #19
kenny
Master Member

http://www.amazon.co.uk/AdBlue-AD910.../dp/B004XZB6ZQ
kenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2015, 20:48   #20
green van man
Premier Member

Think some of the v and s40s use it and the tank is under the car designed to be refilled as part of the service. It can of course be filled by the owner if they are prepared to crawl under the car to do so, how many owners of newer volvos will and how many just leave it to the dealer at service time, even if you did fill it yourself you would still get charged. A bit like the screen wash addative I get charged for every service, they have to empty fluid out of the washer bottle to make room for it but they do every service.

Paul.
green van man is offline   Reply With Quote