Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Diesel Engines

Notices

Diesel Engines A forum dedicated to diesel engines fitted to Volvo cars. See the first post in this forum for a list of the diesel engines.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

0W30 or 5W30

Views : 54802

Replies : 194

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 25th, 2016, 13:18   #51
JimG
Premier Member

No, it doesn't burn any oil.

I've always used the Castrol Edge but I think I'll move to the Shell 5W30.

Thanks.

www.alignmycar.co.uk
www.rearfacing.co.uk
JimG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JimG For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 25th, 2016, 13:34   #52
colinbos
2008 XC90 D5 SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilman View Post
Hi

Without the A5/B5, it's not suitable and could block the DPF.

Does your car burn a lot of oil? Mileage and oil grade are not really related, you only need to use a thicker oil if there is sufficient wear to lead to higher oil consumption. 100k is not a lot for a modern engine (my D5 is on 156k with no oil consumption).

Cheers

Tim

Tim,

As discussed on the phone minutes ago -Ive bought the wrong oil from you. Ive decided to err on the side of caution and return my oil (at my own cost) and I have already ordered Helix Ultra A5/B5 5W-30 from your site with next day delivery.

Thanks again for great information on here and our chat earlier.

Last edited by colinbos; Jul 25th, 2016 at 13:38.
colinbos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25th, 2016, 13:51   #53
oilman
Trader

Hi

Glad to have helped out. Sorry it's a pain to swap the oils over, but it is the safe option.

Cheers

Tim
phone: 01209 202944

oilman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to oilman For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 26th, 2016, 09:14   #54
skyship007
Premier Member

Cool

Quote:
Hi

Different DPFs have different requirements. Yes, most need an ACEA C spec oil, but Volvos and some others don't, so generally an A5/B5 oil wouldn't mention DPFs.

Cheers

Tim
Use the oil finder page of the actual oil company as a cross check on which oil to use. If you want to do long oil change intervals it's best to move up to an 0 or 5w40 once a turbo diesel is fully run in (About 100K km).

If you are chasing best fuel economy figures then stick to an 0w30, BUT I would add half a can of Liqui Moly Ceratec as that will beef up the anti wear additives and is approved for DPF's. Both Acea C and E cats have restricted additive levels, so using Ceratec does make sense, although it's of more use in an older engine.

Shell Ultra seems to be the cheapest full synthetic at present, although that situation could change.

Everyone should DYOR (Do Your Own Research)
skyship007 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to skyship007 For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 26th, 2016, 10:58   #55
oilman
Trader

If a car requires an A5/B5 oil for the DPF, you can't just put in another spec as that can lead to a blocked DPF. I've dealt with a fair few D5 engines with DPFs and even when they have used a low ash oil rather than A5/B5 (the one that comes to mind is someone who used the Motul Eco Clean C2 rather than their Eco-nergy 0w-30), the DPF warning light kept coming on.

I don't advise the use of oil additives. Even ones that seem harmless can effect the oil chemistry and make the oil less effective. One company that I know of was developing a new additive technology, so they tried it with their own oils and the oil became less effective, so they had to come up with a different basestock to use with the new additive package.

There is no reason to change the oil grade at a certain mileage point. I often see that you should use a thicker oil when a car has covered a lot of miles (often 100k is mentioned), but it doesn't make sense. The only real reason to go to a thicker oil is when the engine is badly worn, leading to oil consumption issues.

Cheers

Tim

The Following User Says Thank You to oilman For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 26th, 2016, 14:10   #56
colinbos
2008 XC90 D5 SE

Great overnight delivery of Oil from Opie. Arrived in less than 24hrs.

Thanks a lot.
colinbos is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to colinbos For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 26th, 2016, 16:11   #57
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
If a car requires an A5/B5 oil for the DPF, you can't just put in another spec as that can lead to a blocked DPF. I've dealt with a fair few D5 engines with DPFs and even when they have used a low ash oil rather than A5/B5 (the one that comes to mind is someone who used the Motul Eco Clean C2 rather than their Eco-nergy 0w-30), the DPF warning light kept coming on.

I don't advise the use of oil additives. Even ones that seem harmless can effect the oil chemistry and make the oil less effective. One company that I know of was developing a new additive technology, so they tried it with their own oils and the oil became less effective, so they had to come up with a different basestock to use with the new additive package.

There is no reason to change the oil grade at a certain mileage point. I often see that you should use a thicker oil when a car has covered a lot of miles (often 100k is mentioned), but it doesn't make sense. The only real reason to go to a thicker oil is when the engine is badly worn, leading to oil consumption issues.

Cheers

Tim
All very wise advice , also volvo forbid any fuel or oil additives and if there are any problems in the warranty period, samples will be taken ... could turn out to be a very expensive mistake . leave it to the oil companies they know best ... lots of oil "experts" on here who think they know better :-)

Thicker oil over 100,000 miles ? why? There will be no measurable wear ie everything still in tolerance , unless something has been neglected .... Volvo engines go better and better with age , especially when over 100,000 miles ..
Old Jul 26th, 2016, 19:16   #58
younger06
Volvo Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
All very wise advice , also volvo forbid any fuel or oil additives and if there are any problems in the warranty period, samples will be taken ... could turn out to be a very expensive mistake . leave it to the oil companies they know best ... lots of oil "experts" on here who think they know better :-)

Thicker oil over 100,000 miles ? why? There will be no measurable wear ie everything still in tolerance , unless something has been neglected .... Volvo engines go better and better with age , especially when over 100,000 miles ..
God I hope you're right about that, my D5 will be used until nearly 600,000kms.........that's the plan anyhow!!!!
Old Jul 26th, 2016, 19:54   #59
skyship007
Premier Member

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post

Most engines get neglected, which is why the oil companies developed HM oils like GTX 15w40, Valvoline Maxlife 10w40 and best of all Mobil 1 10w60 EL.
The main blocks do last well, but the turbo bearings benefit most from both top of the range oils like Ultra or M1 that are a tad on the thick side.
SAE ratings cover a range of viscosities and HM oils (Extended Life in Mobil terms) are nearly all at the top of their range, although M1 10w60 is an exception, as it's almost into the 50 range.

GTX is a bit of a cheap option but like Maxlife it should help cut oil consumption and leaks. M1 10w60 is kind of a last stand oil for when the main bearings start to fail.

PS: There is no need to use a major brand oil additive like Ceratec until over 100K, the amount of wear reduction is debatable but they will reduce the damage done if you run out of coolant, oil or suffer a HG failure or serious overheat.

Everyone should DYOR (Do Your Own Research)

Last edited by skyship007; Jul 26th, 2016 at 19:59.
skyship007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27th, 2016, 10:33   #60
oilman
Trader

High mileage oils are just a marketing thing, selling thick oil to the people that think at 100k their engine needs a thicker oil for more money than the standard version, pretty much the same idea as 'Diesel' oils. The Mobil Extended Life was developed as an oil for motorsport applications, as a replacement for the 15w-50 (10w-60 has become a more popular grade than 15w-50).

There isn't really such a thing as a high mileage oil. Often it's just a thick oil, some others say they contain seal swelling agents to help worn seals (all decent oils should have that anyway) and when you ask some of the companies what the difference is between their normal 15w-40 and 15w-40HM is, they can't tell you.

Higher viscosity oils do not mean better protection. You're right about the block being fine and it's the bearings that need help, but a thicker oil doesn't necessarily help that. A synthetic will have a better film strength than a mineral oil of the same grade, but most HM oils are mineral based. Using a thicker oil also puts more strain on the oil pump and components.

Back to the D5 DPF thing again, I don't think there are any A5/B5 HM oils, so they will not be suitable for a DPF equipped D5.

Yes, a lot of cars are not well looked after and you can never be sure how it's been treated by previous owners, but there are plenty that are fine and they do not need high mileage oils or thicker oils than standard.

I do not deal with Ligui Moly, so I am not sure about what their additives claim to do or how they work, but a lot of additives basically thicken the oil, reducing protection and putting more strain on the components. I just don't see the need or benefit of an additive and my car is on 156k and using the Shell Helix Ultra 5w-40. I get no leaks, no consumption and as it's a better oil than the standard 10w-40/15w-40 the dealership had been putting in before I got it, it will be protecting the bearings more than over the last 14 years.

Cheers

Tim

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to oilman For This Useful Post: