Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General > XC90 '02–'15 Sales
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

XC90 Turbo chip upgrade 185-210bhp

Views : 1347

Replies : 7

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 28th, 2013, 16:18   #1
n1ckxc90
A bloody Volvo at my age

Default XC90 Turbo chip upgrade 185-210bhp

This is my C.R. Technology plug and play turbo chip. It's in excellent condition and only been fitted for 5 months. I am now using car for work and have managed to get a remap done for "towing improvements" paid for b the firm.

Great and easy upgrade. Made difference to towing and daily drive. Full instructions given to fitment.

£65ono + P&P
Old Jun 11th, 2013, 12:48   #2
Citysi1974

What are these upgrades like on economy?
Citysi1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17th, 2013, 00:02   #3
n1ckxc90
A bloody Volvo at my age

apologies, been away with work and only just seen this. I noted an increase of around 5-9mpg depending on around town or on a run, increase throttle response is good too.
Old Jun 17th, 2013, 07:18   #4
Shadeyman
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citysi1974 View Post
What are these upgrades like on economy?
Common Rail pluggins are quite good.

I've had 2 from http://www.dieselexpress.co.uk for only £90. Performance is adjustable to suit everyones driving style. MPG was the same but I like to use the extra power so didn't expect to see any gains.
Shadeyman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Shadeyman For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 17th, 2013, 09:15   #5
n1ckxc90
A bloody Volvo at my age

I'd agree with Shadeyman and the boxes can be mapped to a number of different driving styles, I wanted mine as an all rounder and so didn't go with the maximum power increase and settled with a combination of a medium increase with the benefits of low end grunt and some good fuel savings.

Under advice from the tuning firm I bought my box from I found adding a high flow air filter (K&N) and using premium fuel made a difference - especially to the MPG and when towing.
Old Jun 17th, 2013, 09:21   #6
Shadeyman
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by n1ckxc90 View Post
Under advice from the tuning firm I bought my box from I found adding a high flow air filter (K&N) and using premium fuel made a difference - especially to the MPG and when towing.
I've been looking at buying a high flow filter(this one: http://www.knfilters.co.uk/search/pr...x?prod=33-2972). Did you notice any increase in induction noise ?

Also have to be very careful with re-oiling these filters as the oil can cause problems with the MAF Sensor.

Last edited by Shadeyman; Jun 17th, 2013 at 09:24.
Shadeyman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Shadeyman For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 17th, 2013, 12:02   #7
Curly59

Quote:
Originally Posted by n1ckxc90 View Post
This is my C.R. Technology plug and play turbo chip. It's in excellent condition and only been fitted for 5 months. I am now using car for work and have managed to get a remap done for "towing improvements" paid for b the firm.

Great and easy upgrade. Made difference to towing and daily drive. Full instructions given to fitment.

£65ono + P&P
Would you say that a full remap is better than the plug in now that you've had both? Which remap have you had, Polestar?
Old Jun 17th, 2013, 15:49   #8
n1ckxc90
A bloody Volvo at my age

TBH they are about the same, on start up you hear the revs change with the tuning box, not with the remap - if I was paying for it, I'd have stayed with the box so that I can change it and have it remapped to another car. I had a local firm do my remap, customised to the car - not polestar - but made for lower down grunt, towing and upto 70mph. It is running 215BHP - ish and the difference is about the same as the box. It cost £220 inc VAT which is £300 cheaper than a polestar. Like all remaps it stays on the car so the cost cannot be recouped.