Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

200 Series General Forum for the Volvo 240 and 260 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Engine Swap Woes

Views : 1128

Replies : 16

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 3rd, 2006, 14:37   #11
ALLOA
Master Member

Clifford, Incidentally if you are concerned about your current engine I have the one that I removed from the Torslanda. Its 'only' done 147,000 and ran 'sweet as a nut' I only removed it as I had the option of the complete low mileage 240 GLT as a donor (body work was trashed)

Regards

S
ALLOA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2006, 17:23   #12
Clifford Pope
Not an expert but ...

Interesting observations - some thinking necessary before doing anything.
Actually I have no reason for concern at present, and I'd like to see just how many miles I can get out of the present engine.

I realised the EGR complication, but assumed that a standard exhaust manifold without the EGR tap-off would be a straight fit. If not, it would be quite easy just to blank off the pipe fitting.
I understood all the inlet manifolds were interchangeable, although the water-heating holes in the block have plugs in the case of an injection engine. Certainly the gaskets are all the same, some simply having redundant water openings.

My understanding is that a car is tested on the emission standards applying to the age of the engine (if older), not the car it is fitted in. This is subject to production of proof of age, which I have, having thoughtfully photocopied the reg doc of the B230K, which shows its engine number. So it would be easy to verify that it was 1986. Is this correct? I'd be interested in anyone's experiences of using this concession, if indeed true.

The present engine is a B200F, which I'd assumed even with injection is a lot slower than the B230K, so a possible performance gain was also at the back of my mind.
Clifford Pope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2006, 17:26   #13
Clifford Pope
Not an expert but ...

PS
I've heard of people simply ripping out the Pulsair/EGR /vacuum control system from the B230K engine and plugging all the take-offs. It's certainly the recommended Volvo action with the Pulsair if experiencing backfiring problems.
Old May 4th, 2006, 16:36   #14
ALLOA
Master Member

Clifford, can't really help you much with this. My gut feeling however would be that changing to a 2.3 carb engine would improve power but you would probably see a drastic drop in economy.

Cheers

S
ALLOA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2006, 19:08   #15
chris m

I'm no expert on ignition, but are you're shure, the ignition system from the B200F (Torslanda) is suited for the B230E (GLT) engine?

If you still have problems (and the LH2.4 injection from the B200F lying around), here is my suggestion: fit the LH injection BACK, all you need is probably to helicoil the tempsensor and use an ECU from a B230F or, better, B230FB.
I'm running in my '90 GL a B230E with the LH2.4 and a FB ECU over a year without any problems (and any cat) and I'm very very pleased with that combination!!!

Cheers, Chris
chris m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2006, 05:39   #16
Clifford Pope
Not an expert but ...

Yes, those were some of my thoughts.
I don't see why the ignition system wouldn't work, if it had the appropriate Crank Position Sensor and distributor from the B200 - how would it "know"?

I'd wondered though about the ECU and the AMM. The AMM would simply encounter a slightly greater air flow, from the increaded swept volume, so would that just be picked up by the ECU and the appropriate adjustments made?

In effect, what happens if you rebore an injection engine to a 10% greater capacity - does everything simply compensate, like on a carburettor engine?
Old May 5th, 2006, 08:17   #17
Andrew (UK)
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clifford Pope
In effect, what happens if you rebore an injection engine to a 10% greater capacity - does everything simply compensate, like on a carburettor engine?
You will only get compensation up to a certain point. You are pushing the system beyond its maximum designed limits so you may get into trouble. You will have to watch out for leaning out of the mixture at full throttle.
Mind you a lot depends upon how clever the injection system is. The more clever it is then the more upset it is likely to be when you change something.
Andrew (UK) is offline   Reply With Quote