Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

TPMS multiple warnings.

Views : 458

Replies : 8

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 30th, 2019, 08:40   #1
MOzS90

Default TPMS multiple warnings.

2017 S90 R-Design

Anyone else suffered from this?

Had a TPMS status warning a couple of days ago on the way to work. Rear offside showing amber.

Have an airline at work so inflated all the tyres to the “eco” pressure on the sticker in the doorsill for the wheel size I have.

Reset the TPMS and let it do its thing.

All is fine until yesterday morning and on the way to work (60mph dual carriageway) has a TPMS warning again. This time all 4 tyres showing the amber warning. Nothing felt untoward so I got to work, checked the pressures (fine) and reset the system. Drive home was fine.

Got in car this morning and at almost exactly the same point on the journey I get the TPMS warning again for all four wheels???

I haven’t had time to check but I bet the pressures are fine.

Have I done anything wrong? The tyres were inflated originally when they were cold but I only had a short drive from airline to car park which may have not reset the system properly. I reset the system yesterday just before my drive home meaning it had a good five mins of driving to go “green”.

Could my TPMS system be at fault? Software? Or am I doing the whole inflation and resetting wrong?

Anyone else had this?? Any advice???
Old Jan 30th, 2019, 09:23   #2
cliffharris
cliffInLincoln

Default How I resolved TPMS errors

I had the same issue with my XC60 with the TPMS into each wheel valve (my new XC60 doesn't have that system, it works via a different method); but I found it was the very cold frosty mornings that set of the TPMS trigger.

So whilst you checked out or reset at work, when the tyres were 'warm' of course when the temperature drops, for example a freezing or frosty morning, the pressures in the tyres have dropped and hence the warning.

I resolved by setting the pressures on a cold and frosty morning and never had the warning again. I did in fairness adjust tyre pressures and reset when the warmer weather of spring came.
cliffharris is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to cliffharris For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 30th, 2019, 09:35   #3
Driver Dave

TPMS can take a while to sort itself out. I have to drive about 6 miles to get mine to confim it's done. I think it is related to distance no time because it is reliant on the ABS sensors to count the wheel revolutions.
Old Jan 30th, 2019, 10:00   #4
nu11eaf
Premier Member

I have had this once, after having rear tyres changed and all 4 pressures checked and adjusted and calibrating TPMS, the next day the TPMS warning came on and all 4 showed amber, I checked them and all were still spot on so recalibrated TPMS again and it has been ok ever since, like above post it takes mine about 6 miles or so to calibrate with mixed road driving.
XC90 Inscription D5 Power pulse, 2017 MY, Savile grey, Blond Nappa, Leather dash/door tops, Walnut inlays, Dark tinted windows, Air suspension, Bliss/Cross traffic alert, Xenium/7 seat comfort/Family/Winter packs, 4 zone climate, Heated rear seats.
nu11eaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30th, 2019, 10:01   #5
nu11eaf
Premier Member

Deleted duplicated post.
(Why is there not a delete option on here without having to type something in) or is there.
XC90 Inscription D5 Power pulse, 2017 MY, Savile grey, Blond Nappa, Leather dash/door tops, Walnut inlays, Dark tinted windows, Air suspension, Bliss/Cross traffic alert, Xenium/7 seat comfort/Family/Winter packs, 4 zone climate, Heated rear seats.

Last edited by nu11eaf; Jan 30th, 2019 at 10:04.
nu11eaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30th, 2019, 10:16   #6
MOzS90

Thanks all. I was 90% sure it was to do with temps and weather. I’ll check them first thing tomorrow morning before driving to work and reset them.
Old Jan 30th, 2019, 10:45   #7
Fursty Ferret

My (older) V60 did this last year. The calibration is better, I think, if you can get a mixture of low and moderate speed driving and some tight turns before hitting a motorway.
Fursty Ferret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30th, 2019, 15:00   #8
Quacker
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driver Dave View Post
TPMS can take a while to sort itself out. I have to drive about 6 miles to get mine to confim it's done. I think it is related to distance no time because it is reliant on the ABS sensors to count the wheel revolutions.
Both tpms systems have their quirks on all brands of cars now and again. It is becoming a standard feature on all cars, so I expect an increasing number of issues cropping up in forums over the next year or two

Last edited by Quacker; Jan 30th, 2019 at 15:05.
Quacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30th, 2019, 15:36   #9
Wizzpop
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quacker View Post
Both tpms systems have their quirks on all brands of cars now and again. It is becoming a standard feature on all cars, so I expect an increasing number of issues cropping up in forums over the next year or two
Since November 2012 all new models of cars sold in the EU had to have a TPMS fitted. This was broadened out in November 2014 to include every new passenger vehicle being required to have a TPMS before being sold.

In the UK on 1 January 2015, legislation came into force stating that for these vehicles, an inoperative or faulty TPMS sensor would result in an MOT failure.

Some manufacturers use a sensor in the tyre that sends a signal to a monitor in the car. I think Volvo discarded that method a couple of years ago in favour of a system by monitoring individual wheel rotational speeds and other signals available through the wheel speed sensors of ABS/ESC systems