Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > LPG, CNG & LNG - General Info and Issues
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

LPG, CNG & LNG - General Info and Issues Share experiences and problems

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

2003 V70 Bi fuel

Views : 6295

Replies : 14

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 4th, 2011, 21:37   #1
therealroy
The Real Roy

Exclamation 2003 V70 Bi fuel

Hi my father in law has a v70 bi fuel factory fitted lpg, and he's had nothing but problems with the gas injection system, every 50000 the emission light comes on (happened twice) the he takes it to volvo who put a new gas injection system on, costs about 800 quid a time, he's had a lot of volvo's on lpg with no problems however, they've alway been aftermarket fitted systems. thanks
therealroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6th, 2011, 12:14   #2
classicswede
Trader Volvo in my veins

If the engine light is the only problem I'd be made up with that on a factory fit.

Stalling, rough running and misfires are the usual problems.

A shame that he has spent so much money with volvo on it as I could have upgraded the front end system for less than that.

Are you even sure the LPG is teh cause of teh engine light?
classicswede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7th, 2011, 12:47   #3
humphrey999

Unfortunatley Classicswede, I think you are a bit far away from me but out of interest what would a ballpark figure be to upgrade the front end of an S60 factory bifuel?
humphrey999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7th, 2011, 16:13   #4
Bigcheese1

[QUOTE=classicswede;810966]A shame that he has spent so much money with volvo on it as I could have upgraded the front end system for less than that.
QUOTE]

As the owner of a factory fit bifuel that's exactly the conclusion I've come to.

I'm happy in the knowledge that I've got a Volvo tank installation, but if I was presented with a ridiculous quote for work on the front end I would look at getting a non-Volvo system fitted.

Presumably a modern system would be more efficient than the original Volvo equipment and I'm certain It would be more reliable and cheaper to maintain.
Bigcheese1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7th, 2011, 19:52   #5
therealroy
The Real Roy

thanks for that, yes it had a mis fire at certain revs on the 5th cylinder, volvo did various tests, saying it could have been a faulty coil or something on ignition system,after a series of test came up with the lpg system faulty , engine was running rough on lpg, ok on petrol , father in law , spoke to volvo head office and they said the lpg system lasts about that time 50.000 miles he's had 2, got 122000 on clock. he complained to them most cars he's had on lpg no problem .but they said it's usual for them to last that long.. crap or what
therealroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7th, 2011, 21:08   #6
classicswede
Trader Volvo in my veins

Quote:
Originally Posted by humphrey999 View Post
Unfortunatley Classicswede, I think you are a bit far away from me but out of interest what would a ballpark figure be to upgrade the front end of an S60 factory bifuel?

To change the front end to more advanced modern injection system you would be looking at around £750. That would give you parts actualy covered by warranty for 2 years and should replacments be needed they are much more relistacly priced.
Old Jan 7th, 2011, 21:11   #7
classicswede
Trader Volvo in my veins

[QUOTE=Bigcheese1;812072]
Quote:
Originally Posted by classicswede View Post
A shame that he has spent so much money with volvo on it as I could have upgraded the front end system for less than that.
QUOTE]

Presumably a modern system would be more efficient than the original Volvo equipment and I'm certain It would be more reliable and cheaper to maintain.
Perfectly correct. Modrn systems are capable to much more acurate fueling and corretly set provide very good MPG compared to the early systems such as the factory fit one. Parts are not overpriced like the volvo ones and also tend to live longer
The Following User Says Thank You to classicswede For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 7th, 2011, 21:13   #8
classicswede
Trader Volvo in my veins

Quote:
Originally Posted by therealroy View Post
thanks for that, yes it had a mis fire at certain revs on the 5th cylinder, volvo did various tests, saying it could have been a faulty coil or something on ignition system,after a series of test came up with the lpg system faulty , engine was running rough on lpg, ok on petrol , father in law , spoke to volvo head office and they said the lpg system lasts about that time 50.000 miles he's had 2, got 122000 on clock. he complained to them most cars he's had on lpg no problem .but they said it's usual for them to last that long.. crap or what
I have know some to last very well and others only a short time. The most common problems are with the distributor. The system is a bit of a let down and gives LPG is bit of a bad name. Volvo are not the only ones to have suffered from using the same system.
Old Jan 7th, 2011, 21:14   #9
humphrey999

Well, I bought my S60 about 26 months ago and have taken it from 32k to 87k in that time. The system seems to have self resolved various minor misfiresand hiccups over that time but recently it has started cutting out regularly and from the replies I've had to my posts the symptoms seem to match the dreaded distributor issue. Rather than spend any money getting it cleaned or replaced I think I fancy having the whole front system replaced.

One question, how 'modern' is the volvo necam system? Is it a sequential system and are there any gains to be had to performance or mpg if I replaced it with a more expensive/modern system?

thanks!
humphrey999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8th, 2011, 19:58   #10
classicswede
Trader Volvo in my veins

The Necam is not sequential but it is injection as such. The Necam is one of the very early multi point system that was non sequential.

The Necam system is one of the very early multipoint systems that fires the gas directly to the manifold but all cylinders are fed at the same time rather than in order. This technodgy was short lived before proper injection system were introduced. For some reason Necam stuck with this type of system for a very long time after everyone else had mooved on.

A modern type system that is feed from the petrol injector systems is a much better bet and delivers the gas where and when needed.

This link (part written by me) gives a good simple guide to the differnt types of LPG systems.

http://www.rwdvolvos.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=103

Last edited by classicswede; Jan 8th, 2011 at 20:00.
The Following User Says Thank You to classicswede For This Useful Post: