Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Are XC60 owners happy?

Views : 136497

Replies : 495

Users Viewing This Thread :  

View Poll Results: Are you happy with your XC60?
Overall happy, no significant issues 441 64.66%
Overall happy, but minor issues 188 27.57%
Unhappy, significant issues 35 5.13%
Very unhappy, never again 18 2.64%
Voters: 682. You may not vote on this poll

Old Aug 19th, 2015, 08:24   #331
Fellwalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by uniqueue View Post
Whilst I agree that the electronic handbrake isnt the most intuitive bit of kit, you dont need to remember how to let it off - just drive away. So long as you have your seat belt on, it will release itself - even easier!!
Granted, if you are moving your car back into the garage or the like you may not have your belt on, but otherwise it works fine
Sadly I have to reverse out of the garage, out of the parking at the golf club, parking at the supermarket..., in fact virtually everywhere I seem to park. At least 2/3 of my starts are in reverse, which is why it is frustrating. Yes, going forward it just releases, which is wonderful.
Old Aug 19th, 2015, 08:52   #332
uniqueue

It releases reversing as well!!
uniqueue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19th, 2015, 09:20   #333
XCeed

...lesson I have learned since acquiring my XC60...she is a lovely lady but like a lady she has more than a few irritating points! You just have to accept them - as most of us eventually do - or...well...?!
XCeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19th, 2015, 10:40   #334
BoJoUK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fellwalker View Post
Worse, that was on a day when my dashcam was on the blink. It corrupts the SD card whenever the car is switched on and then off fairly quickly - such as putting it away in the garage after having washed it. Hopefully the new firmware update installed last week will fix that at least.
I have a very similar spec XC60. I was having a similar problem with the Blackvue DashCam failing and corrupting the SD card. I got a Power Magic Pro and set it to switch off after 48 hours or when battery voltage drops below 12V. That way it keeps the DashCam active whilst parked and both powers up and down without corruption to the card. I have never updated the firmware on my Blackvue, so would be interested to hear how it changes its operation.

Like others have mentioned, I very rarely have to manually release the electronic handbrake. Just when manovering it. All other occasions it comes off automatically in either direction. It only took a very short while to get used to it and I wouldn't want to revert to a manual lever now.

Last edited by BoJoUK; Aug 19th, 2015 at 11:30.
BoJoUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19th, 2015, 19:45   #335
Bantambuddy
VOC Member

I honestly do not see a problem with the handbrake as to me it seems very ergonomic in use as when you move forward to touch it just move a little more and on it pops look for the red parking brake signal on the dash and away you go. I think I have only had to release it manually a couple of times as you just touch the brake pedal if it will not release and off it comes when you move. I'll get my coat
XC60 SE Lux Nav Manual D5 AWD Black Sapphire; Polestar; Family Pack; Driver Support Pack; Winter Pack with Active Bending Headlights; Front and Rear Parking Sensors; Privacy Glass; Diamondbrite;20" Wheels
Bantambuddy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bantambuddy For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 19th, 2015, 22:46   #336
St James

I didn't realise it was automatic release on the handbrake.....lol

I've been pushing and pulling it every time!

I also didn't realise the keyless entry meant you could just push the button on the handle to lock the car.....I haven't got to that part of the manual yet......

You may all now mock me.

I deserve it.

2010 (10) Skoda Octavia vRS CR170 DSG
St James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20th, 2015, 10:13   #337
Considered1
Premier Member

it does jolt a bit when you just drive away, I prefer to let it off gently as its so easy in the geartronic as your foot is already on the brake, just ease off brake and lever as you start to pull away.
Considered1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20th, 2015, 13:23   #338
Mike H

Default Electronic Brake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Considered1 View Post
it does jolt a bit when you just drive away, I prefer to let it off gently as its so easy in the geartronic as your foot is already on the brake, just ease off brake and lever as you start to pull away.
Mine doesn't jerk at all with my Geartronic. Just drives away smoothly.

Mike H is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mike H For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 20th, 2015, 14:34   #339
Fellwalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by uniqueue View Post
It releases reversing as well!!
Please explain this to my car. When I try to reverse out of my garage, it just lifts up on the suspension. It will NOT release the brake.
If I have been out and about, and merely stopped and put the handbrake on, then yes, it releases in reverse. However, if I have stopped and gone away from the car, then come back and try to reverse, it will not do so without me releasing the brake.

Yesterday, I got through the whole day without pressing when I should have pulled or vice versa. Maybe I am finally getting used to the electric handbrake.
Old Aug 20th, 2015, 14:35   #340
Fellwalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike H View Post
Mine doesn't jerk at all with my Geartronic. Just drives away smoothly.

Same here
The Following User Says Thank You to Fellwalker For This Useful Post: