Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Are XC60 owners happy?

Views : 136424

Replies : 495

Users Viewing This Thread :  

View Poll Results: Are you happy with your XC60?
Overall happy, no significant issues 441 64.66%
Overall happy, but minor issues 188 27.57%
Unhappy, significant issues 35 5.13%
Very unhappy, never again 18 2.64%
Voters: 682. You may not vote on this poll

Old Mar 14th, 2017, 07:46   #401
Biano44

I really wasn't enjoying my MY10 XC60 D5 until late Saturday afternoon.

Changing the broken thermostat that I didn't know it had for the first 3 months of ownership due to no temp gauge in the clocks, has completely changed the car, so I'm now looking forward to the next couple of weeks to see how I get on with it.
Warm air in the cabin
Much smoother drive
Quicker
Much better MPG
But best of all, the gearbox works as it should instead slipping the clutches every time I push the throttle.
Biano44 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Biano44 For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 8th, 2017, 10:52   #402
Dr Lindsay Neil

I have had an XC 60 for 6 months now. Before that I had a V70 Est. for 17 years and was reluctant to part with it because it was such a good car in every way.
The XC 60 is a fussy brute which is difficult to park, (the V70 est was easy and very well designed for fitting into small parking spaces), it is over-complicated and inconvenient to use.
The issue of a new car without an owners manual is a piece of ridiculously misplaced paternalism as if everyone has unlimited time to wade through the silly little computer (which cant be done unless you stop) and which your passenger can't assist you with either.
The compass doesn't work, there is very little room to put stuff in the front compartment and the online manual I was sent has the wrong pages against the subject in the index. I find the turbo cuts in dangerously when I want a gradual speed increase and without a spare tyre (which I had to buy), I feel that Volvo have fallen off their well deserved pedestal of the most reliable, well designed motor.
My first Volvo was in 1979, I have had 8 before this one and I am now trying to work out how to get rid of this one and buy a second-hand V70 with some miles left. (they will do 250,000 with little trouble). My last one did.

Last edited by Dr Lindsay Neil; Apr 8th, 2017 at 10:54.
Dr Lindsay Neil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8th, 2017, 14:19   #403
RoyMacDonald
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Lindsay Neil View Post
I have had an XC 60 for 6 months now. Before that I had a V70 Est. for 17 years and was reluctant to part with it because it was such a good car in every way.
The XC 60 is a fussy brute which is difficult to park, (the V70 est was easy and very well designed for fitting into small parking spaces), it is over-complicated and inconvenient to use.
The issue of a new car without an owners manual is a piece of ridiculously misplaced paternalism as if everyone has unlimited time to wade through the silly little computer (which cant be done unless you stop) and which your passenger can't assist you with either.
The compass doesn't work, there is very little room to put stuff in the front compartment and the online manual I was sent has the wrong pages against the subject in the index. I find the turbo cuts in dangerously when I want a gradual speed increase and without a spare tyre (which I had to buy), I feel that Volvo have fallen off their well deserved pedestal of the most reliable, well designed motor.
My first Volvo was in 1979, I have had 8 before this one and I am now trying to work out how to get rid of this one and buy a second-hand V70 with some miles left. (they will do 250,000 with little trouble). My last one did.
Lindsey I think that 17 years spent parking the same car will inevitably make parking any new car seem difficult. 17 years is a long time. Modern cars are more complicated I'm afraid. Unless you buy another 17 year old car it will be more fussy. If you buy a V70 of a more modern vintage than the one you had it will be more complicated I'm afraid. V70's will last a lot longer than 250,000 miles so I wouldn't be afraid to stick with your old V70. I take it that it was the original version of the V70? The mark 2 V70 is a very fine car and one of the most comfortable cars Volvo ever made. A mark 3 V70 will be similar to your XC60 in complexity.

Have you taken a look at the new V90? I am very impressed myself. If you like that you can probably come to an arrangement with your dealer for a minimum cost to swap.

Cars are like shoes, takes a while to find out if they really fit you. I've been there myself with a VW Golf, Mercedes E-Class, and Range Rover V8, so I sympathise.

All the best.

Roy
Old May 5th, 2017, 16:37   #404
chudbond007

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardXC60 View Post
I'll second that and add 1 year to the driving time!

If it weren't for the D4 EGR issue I would regard my XC60 as pretty much perfect actually - even forgiving its thirst for diesel!
I too had the EGR fault which left me stranded 50 miles from home on Christmas Eve! Volvo Assistance were excellent and got me home within a couple of hours. My car took ages to repair with it being over the Christmas hols but as I had been given a BMW 320 M Sport as a free rental I wasn't complaining!
Old May 5th, 2017, 22:30   #405
GrahamHR

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyMacDonald View Post
Lindsey I think that 17 years spent parking the same car will inevitably make parking any new car seem difficult. 17 years is a long time. Modern cars are more complicated I'm afraid. Unless you buy another 17 year old car it will be more fussy. If you buy a V70 of a more modern vintage than the one you had it will be more complicated I'm afraid. V70's will last a lot longer than 250,000 miles so I wouldn't be afraid to stick with your old V70. I take it that it was the original version of the V70? The mark 2 V70 is a very fine car and one of the most comfortable cars Volvo ever made. A mark 3 V70 will be similar to your XC60 in complexity.

All the best.

Roy
If the XC60 is anything like my V60 Polestar, I can well imagine it's a nightmare to park. A turning circle akin to that of a canal boat, there are many car parking spaces in supermarket car parks I can't put it into without multiple, embarrassing manoeuvres.

I had an 850 Estate (1994) 2.5 20V. Followed by 1999 V70 ( same shape) with the same engine. Both "pure" Volvos. Reliable, well built.

Next, a V70 "new shape" with Ford influence. Dire design characteristics as far as interior trim was concerned and engine electronics , small wheels and tyres, far too small for the weight/ performance. The fastest of the lot though when it was running right.

Then a 2004 D5; fast, economical, well built but woefully unreliable.I gave up on Volvo for a while after that one; breakdowns due to water ingress into the wiring/ electronic issues, with the dealer even asking me if I'd submerged the car in a lake !
GrahamHR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2017, 17:30   #406
volvoeu11

Unhappy Seats from xc70 to xc60 design

just changed over from a xc70 2011 to a xc60 r design premium d5 nice car but the seats are good but not like the xc70 not sure if i like them at present but only had the xc60 10 days so need to give it a bit longer ,any one had the same impression ? when i brought the car just fell for it but are the base of seat shorter or am i just getting fussy still not sure if i like them ??intrested in your thoughts
volvoeu11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2017, 17:57   #407
Fellwalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by volvoeu11 View Post
just changed over from a xc70 2011 to a xc60 r design premium d5 nice car but the seats are good but not like the xc70 not sure if i like them at present but only had the xc60 10 days so need to give it a bit longer ,any one had the same impression ? when i brought the car just fell for it but are the base of seat shorter or am i just getting fussy still not sure if i like them ??intrested in your thoughts
The XC60 is my first Volvo and I find the seats comfortable. I have had test drives over the years and NOT bought Volvos because I found their seats uncomfortable! I have long legs and agree with you that the seats feel short - on very long journeys I find I have to move the seat front down so it doesn't dig into my thigh, but for shorter journeys that is not as comfortable. I have the electrically adjustable seats.
The Following User Says Thank You to Fellwalker For This Useful Post:
Old May 28th, 2017, 21:33   #408
RoyMacDonald
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by volvoeu11 View Post
Drove 500 miles, 10 hours non stop in mine in perfect comfort and had no back trouble and able to walk normally. Thinking of converting a Volvo seat into a living room chair, so comfortable. Try tinkering with the adjustments.

Roy
Old May 28th, 2017, 21:43   #409
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyMacDonald View Post
Drove 500 miles, 10 hours non stop in mine in perfect comfort and had no back trouble and able to walk normally. Thinking of converting a Volvo seat into a living room chair, so comfortable. Try tinkering with the adjustments.

Roy
There is a cinema in Sweden full of S80 seats :-)
Old May 31st, 2017, 07:44   #410
efinglada

I had a V70 D5 for 15 years and changed to a XC60 D3 5 months ago. Big mistake!
They assured me that it would run better than the V70, but it does not in any way
I don´t like the engine response at all
The cruise control does not work going downhill and Volvo says it is normal!
I miss the V70
efinglada is offline   Reply With Quote