Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Does bumper burning work? Find out.

Views : 4261

Replies : 33

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 24th, 2007, 12:42   #1
ShadeTek
Premier Member

Default Does bumper burning work? Find out.

OK, I read a few weeks ago that one way to rejuvinate your grey saggy bumpers was to take a heat gun to them and gently warm them up until they come back to life! Well, with nothing to lose I thought I'd try it on a small patch on my bumper. I couldn't find my hot air gun so I decided to fit the hot air nozzle to my butane gas soldering bolt. Well it certainly darkens the bumper and keeps the original texture if you don't overdo it. With a bit more practice and less wind outside it should work pretty good. Here's what it looks like.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bumper.JPG (68.7 KB, 220 views)

V70 SE NAV 1.6 D2 2015MY POWERSHIFT, D4162T, 93000miles, RED.
/VOL FCR/PEPER OBD2/Acron 9135 OBD2/L.E.D Flasher/VDASH/ANCEL BA301/Topdon Top Scan
ShadeTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24th, 2007, 13:27   #2
the hoff
440IFIED

ill give it a go fed up of using old motor oil oh and nice to see you had astra gte ive had 7 of em inc convertible
the hoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24th, 2007, 15:05   #3
Mike Smith
Master Member

looks promising, look forward to a new picture when it's all done, I might then do mine, I'm using liquid black shoe polish at the mo on mine! lasts quite a long time to

For Every Problem - There is a Solution, Hopefully!
Gallery
Mike Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24th, 2007, 17:26   #4
ShadeTek
Premier Member

Talking 10 Years Younger

I've just spent 20 minutes on the bumpers after finding my heat gun stuffed in a box at the back of the loft. (I think the missus discovered Nitromorse just before the gun vanished), I've posted some more pics below. I have to say it is a MAJOR improvement, although any chibs or gouges that were there before will remain. I used a Black & Decker heatgun holding it about 1-2 inches away from the surface keeping it moving in a circular motion for the best results. DO NOT let the gun or anything for that matter touch the bumper when it hot as you will smear the plastic and always keep the gun moving. Only time will tell if this lasts and you never know I may have accelerated its demise. Anyhow, it beats slabbering oil based products on it which only last a couple of weeks. It does look 10 years younger with its "chemical peel".

V70 SE NAV 1.6 D2 2015MY POWERSHIFT, D4162T, 93000miles, RED.
/VOL FCR/PEPER OBD2/Acron 9135 OBD2/L.E.D Flasher/VDASH/ANCEL BA301/Topdon Top Scan
ShadeTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24th, 2007, 17:33   #5
bob13

I like the look of that i think i will give it a go. Thanks Shadetek for posting pics, looks a lot better after heat. Cheers Bob.....
bob13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24th, 2007, 18:09   #6
Jod T5
Phoenix from the ashes

great stuff brian, as you know i use the liquid kiwi effect which is great but does peel a little, it will be interesting to see how long it works....
cheers
jod
Old Feb 24th, 2007, 18:14   #7
PNuT
MaDMaN

engine oil & parrafin mix IIRC will make that black stuff look black.... dont touch it tho
PNuT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24th, 2007, 18:57   #8
Mike Smith
Master Member

Nice one Tec, looks like it might be the solution!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNuT View Post
engine oil & parrafin mix IIRC will make that black stuff look black.... dont touch it tho
Is this anti vandal paint ???

For Every Problem - There is a Solution, Hopefully!
Gallery
Mike Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24th, 2007, 19:08   #9
Georgey dee
Premier Member

Talking

That's spot on!!!!!! I'm giving mine a go now, Cheers!
Old Feb 24th, 2007, 20:46   #10
dooderooni

Default hehe

Glad someone has tried this because it was me that linked to the post on the detailing forums where this technique was listed.

I'm planning on finally heat-gunning mine tomorrow, weather permitting, as well as fitting my new exhaust bracket to cure the rattle on my rear pipe () and upgrading my old 850 windscreen washer jets to some V70 spray types.

The Big Red Girl
dooderooni is offline   Reply With Quote