Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Diesel Engines

Notices

Diesel Engines A forum dedicated to diesel engines fitted to Volvo cars. See the first post in this forum for a list of the diesel engines.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

D5 engines 163bhp unreliable ????

Views : 11459

Replies : 77

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 18th, 2017, 22:06   #51
David1345

Thinking off purchasing a D5 s60/80 could someone point me in right direction please 😅😅
David1345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19th, 2017, 16:48   #52
Simmy
Premier Member

Autotrader
Simmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28th, 2017, 15:50   #53
Christerart
VOC Member

Just got back from a 10 day trip to Sweden.

1,900 miles - dash info display read 55.5 mpg when parked.

Uneventful trip apart from both upper rear parking/position? lights failed as soon as we drove off the ferry at Harwich.
Old Oct 28th, 2017, 18:49   #54
Bonefishblues
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christerart View Post
Just got back from a 10 day trip to Sweden.

1,900 miles - dash info display read 55.5 mpg when parked.

Uneventful trip apart from both upper rear parking/position? lights failed as soon as we drove off the ferry at Harwich.
Scrap it if it let you down like that, obviously.
Bonefishblues is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bonefishblues For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 29th, 2017, 00:29   #55
skyship007
Premier Member

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by debcab06 View Post
Looking at the forum topics it would appear that the later 5 cylinder diesel engine in 163bhp form is no where near as reliable as the old 140bhp unit fitted prior to year 2000.

DISCUSS ::
I don't think any of the diesels that Volvo have fitted to their cars are inherintly unreliable. Alas the owners fail to comprehend that it's a good idea to ignore the approved Volvo lubrication related service once a car is out of warranty and change the oil at least twice as often as the Volvo max recommended interval.

The type of DPF system fitted to most post 2004 diesel Volvo's was designed before bio diesel was added to all EU fuel and although bio diesel keeps the fuel system clean and has good lubricity, it accumulates in the oil because its flaspoint is about 80c, rather than around 50c for normal diesel. The engine oil does not really get much hotter than 80c, hence the fact that I've seen many UOA results from DPF afflicted engines that show over 10% diesel fuel in the oil by the end of the rather long max recommended oil change interval (OCI).

2% is the max limit for normal long term wear rates, 5% is the limit for no significant wear during a single incident, so 10% is real bad.
Most folks can smell diesel in the oil from a hot dipstick when it gets to 5%.

It's easy to avoid the bad effects of DPF syndrome by just changing the oil twice as often as the max recommended limit (No need to change the oil filter until the max limit) AND using a slightly thicker major brand full synthetic, like my favourite 2 engine oil, Shell Helix 0 or 5w40 and the more expensive.Liqui Moly Synthoil 0 or 5w40.

Everyone should DYOR (Do Your Own Research)
skyship007 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to skyship007 For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 9th, 2017, 20:44   #56
Tomoose

Quote:
Originally Posted by MG68 View Post
My 2003 V70 D5 163bhp geartronic is still on its original engine and is onto 627k miles. Just had its MOT also.

OK the gearbox was replaced, but that was at 400k miles.

Local Volvo Indy couldn't believe how well it drove.

So, no I wouldn't say they were unreliable...
WOWSERS! How did this post go unacknowleged? That's quite some feat!

I'd love to hear more about your car - do you have a thread on it anywhere?

Tom
Tomoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21st, 2017, 21:32   #57
Christerart
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonefishblues View Post
Scrap it if it let you down like that, obviously.

I thought about it but decided it was just protesting being back on the crappy British roads again and I couldn't dispute that..
Old Nov 21st, 2017, 22:54   #58
Tomoose

I’d say there was some pretty solid arguementa to suggest the D5 Euro3 is one of the best all round diesel engines ever made. The blend of performance, reliability, economy and refinement is arguably unparalleled.
2004/54 V70 D5 SE in Ash Gold,
2006 V70 D5 185 Ruby Red.
Tomoose is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tomoose For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 23rd, 2017, 12:33   #59
Bondequipe

Diving into the fray here with my first post . . .

I did a fair bit of research (other than on this forum!) before buying a V70 and what seemed clear was that the Audi derived engine was gruff but solid, economical and reliable. Care had to be taken on cambelt and injector belt replacement times but otherwise good. The first D5s had injector and other problems but by 2003/4 these were sorted and the 163hp engine was excellent if complex. Long cambelt intervals and economical. The 185hp engines seemed to have less good reviews and the Geartronic boxes had more failures than equivalent other autos. Searching ebay or Gumtree for spares or repair cars gives a fair idea of what the Achilles heels on cars are.

Net result I deliberately looked for and bought a 2000 TDI that had had a quite OCD owner! I like the agricultural nature of the car as a counterpoint to my wife's modern Jaguar diesel and it's quick and economical enough for what I want.
Bondequipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23rd, 2017, 12:36   #60
Bonefishblues
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bondequipe View Post
Diving into the fray here with my first post . . .

I did a fair bit of research (other than on this forum!) before buying a V70 and what seemed clear was that the Audi derived engine was gruff but solid, economical and reliable. Care had to be taken on cambelt and injector belt replacement times but otherwise good. The first D5s had injector and other problems but by 2003/4 these were sorted and the 163hp engine was excellent if complex. Long cambelt intervals and economical. The 185hp engines seemed to have less good reviews and the Geartronic boxes had more failures than equivalent other autos. Searching ebay or Gumtree for spares or repair cars gives a fair idea of what the Achilles heels on cars are.

Net result I deliberately looked for and bought a 2000 TDI that had had a quite OCD owner! I like the agricultural nature of the car as a counterpoint to my wife's modern Jaguar diesel and it's quick and economical enough for what I want.
Very wise. Every day my D5 gets closer to being scrapped. By about a day
Bonefishblues is offline   Reply With Quote