Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General

Notices

200 Series General Forum for the Volvo 240 and 260 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Washer Pumps (Again)

Views : 1897

Replies : 22

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 27th, 2017, 18:10   #11
BrianH
VOC Member

OK i will look at that, but the jets on the headlight do seem to do their job.

The washer motors just pull up. They are on a taper, on the washer bottle, so they interfer and lock in place

Not much room, awkard, mine have been hanging off for years. I never found them to be repairable, clean yes. Put a hose pipe in the bottle and flush out now and again especially if you mix types of washer fluid. I find Shell best.

Double jets are worth changing to.

The non-returnable must be right, they do fail.

BrianH
BrianH is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to BrianH For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 27th, 2017, 18:41   #12
Stephen Edwin
Premier Member

Thanks. And my mind tackling problems is beginning to work a little bit again. Butter wouldn't melt....it's gone AWOL.

My washer fluid from Halfords has a very nice fruit smell. I use it neat and it protects to minus silly degrees. Not the pre-diluted abomination of an apology for washer fluid.

Double jets sound interesting.

Last edited by Stephen Edwin; Sep 27th, 2017 at 18:45.
Stephen Edwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27th, 2017, 23:45   #13
Angie
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH View Post
Talking about drowning pedestrians

I seem to have two exits jets on my headlight washers, one goes vertical sweeping across to the pedestrians.

Does puzzle me, must use some epoxy to sort this one day!

BrianH
I think the end of the pipe is supposed to be blocked off with some sort of stopper which eventually disappears, allowing water to spray out the wrong way.

I fitted spray jets to the screenwashers, someone on here suggested them a few years ago and they do seem to work well, spread the water right across the screen. It's annoying though that the wipers start before any water reaches the jets, seems a recipe for a scratched windscreen.

Last edited by Angie; Sep 27th, 2017 at 23:48.
Angie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Angie For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 28th, 2017, 11:58   #14
Derek UK
VOC Member

You can put a one way valve in the line close up to the screen. This isn't infallible but works ok if you use the washers now and then rather than once in 3 months. Valve is the same as fitted at the rear for rear wipers to cure the same problem.
Derek UK is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Derek UK For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 28th, 2017, 14:37   #15
Stephen Edwin
Premier Member

Angie. My very new healamp washer jets have the swivelling nozzle "on the end" and a hole on the flat face toward the radiator. Does that help?

Does anyone know the wiring for the rear screen washer pump please? Which lead is earth. And is the pump switched in the power line or in the earth line? Come on people. If you know the answer that will save me poking around with a multitudinous meter ALL day when I get to the job!
Old Sep 28th, 2017, 16:41   #16
Angie
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Edwin View Post
Angie. My very new healamp washer jets have the swivelling nozzle "on the end" and a hole on the flat face toward the radiator. Does that help?

Does anyone know the wiring for the rear screen washer pump please? Which lead is earth. And is the pump switched in the power line or in the earth line? Come on people. If you know the answer that will save me poking around with a multitudinous meter ALL day when I get to the job!
A few years ago I discovered somewhere on this site some very clear wiring diagrams, much more useful than the Haynes ones. I don't know if a search might locate them, but worth a try. The page covering rear wash/wipe shows a blue/red wire from the relay to the pump, and a wire labelled NCA, whatever that means, to the earth connection, which is apparently at the front of the right front fender. This is for a 1992 model. Hope that might help a bit.

I didn't realise headlight wiper jets are still obtainable, it would be good to have them working properly.

Last edited by Angie; Sep 28th, 2017 at 16:43.
The Following User Says Thank You to Angie For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 28th, 2017, 16:46   #17
Angie
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek UK View Post
You can put a one way valve in the line close up to the screen. This isn't infallible but works ok if you use the washers now and then rather than once in 3 months. Valve is the same as fitted at the rear for rear wipers to cure the same problem.
Thanks for that. Is that in addition to the 'T'-shaped one which splits to left and right? Could it be just that one that needs to be replaced perhaps, or is that not a one-way type?
Old Sep 28th, 2017, 19:39   #18
Stephen Edwin
Premier Member

Angie. The headlamp wiper jets are available from Brookhouse https://classicvolvoparts.co.uk/part...ent_and_Wipers for £5.94 each plus VAT & p&p.

From FRF Volvo Swansea I paid for the jets £4.85 each after discount and including VAT. Plus p&p of a modest amount. So FRF are cheaper which is not unusual. And they are very helpful indeed. I had to wait for them to receive delivery from Sweden but then again what's the rush.
01792 790066 or 01792 784272 - Quoting discount code: C3.

I hope that helps.

It's good if a few of the things on the car work init? My list of needed jobs is quite modest at the moment.
The Following User Says Thank You to Stephen Edwin For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 29th, 2017, 13:20   #19
BrianH
VOC Member

Thinking about my wash-bottle/pump location. Taper is on the pump plate, two protrusions from the plastic wash-bottle push through then push down to secure. Still fiddly.

One's broken off so mine is cockied!! I have a spare, and one day I will install it.

BrianH
BrianH is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to BrianH For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 2nd, 2017, 17:00   #20
Stephen Edwin
Premier Member

I found the connectors are removed by squeezing the top of the connector, that releases a latch and the connector can be wriggled up and off the pump.

I was stumped for an easy way to test because nobody was available to push a button for me. So. I swapped the pump connectors around. Then the rear wash button operated the screen wash so that button is OK. And the screen wash control did not buzz anything. I say it's the pump.

FRF Volvo advise me the pump is no longer available. I've ordered one from Parts for Volvos. It will fit in position so that must be better than the alternatives.

It comes with flat blade connectors. So I am cogitating how to connect neatly. I have an idea how to neatly avoid actually cutting the Volvo connector off.

One idea is that the wires come to the pump through a quite wide sleeve. I could pull that sleeve back and solder wires for the new connectors, covering the joints with shrink wrap tube. Hide the soldered connections inside the wide sleeve. And tuck the Volvo connector inconspicuously aside.

EDIT: I have just seen this http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Wiper-Pump....c100290.m3507 on eBay from Germany. It looks as if it has the Volvo connection. It is £10 more approx delivered than the Parts for Volvos item. But I would have probably paid that if I'd seen it in time.

And. I've just found on Parts for Volvos that "Stock orders can be cancelled prior to despatch without penalty". So I'm trying a cancellation and then to buy from the German seller on eBay. To get the Volvo style electrical connections.

Last edited by Stephen Edwin; Oct 2nd, 2017 at 19:49.
The Following User Says Thank You to Stephen Edwin For This Useful Post: