Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General Forum for the P3-platform S80 and 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

£650 for a Year 2 service

Views : 4510

Replies : 50

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 8th, 2017, 12:02   #21
taz777
VOC Member

Thanks for the advice everyone. I'm going to have to put this down to just being naive and trusting dealerships too much.

Next year I'll ring around a bit.
Old Sep 8th, 2017, 12:45   #22
Simon Jones
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tt82 View Post
Taz, It's also worth mentioning that most dealerships offer a discount for VOC members. Next time ring around a few and get a few prices first.
In the case of Snows Volvo, they said they would do 10% off service cost. I think I got closer to 20% off a new battery.
Simon Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8th, 2017, 14:03   #23
tt82
Forum Support Team

You've also got to consider the fact that they collect and deliver your car back to you, which will be an additional cost, though they may price it in to the service costs, as opposed to separate figure. Every time I have a service I drop it off for them and pick it up at the end of the day.

tt82 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tt82 For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 8th, 2017, 21:07   #24
Simon Jones
Premier Member

Mine's booked in for 18th and I've opted for a courtesy car, so will be interested to see what I get.
Simon Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8th, 2017, 22:14   #25
bobby2000
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by taz777 View Post
My car's in for a Year 2 service and I've just been left stunned by the cost. The Volvo servicer price indicator shows a cost of £374 for a Year 2 service.

My local Volvo dealer quoted me £440, but there's nothing over and above the standard maintenance that they carry out.

Reluctantly I accepted as it was convenient because they collect and deliver the car back to me.

They've just now phoned me and said that I should also get the brake fluid and coolant replaced at a cost of £202 as Volvo recommends this every two years, bringing the total cost of the service close to £650!!!

Have I been bent over a barrel? This is an official Volvo dealership. Volvo's own recommended schedule for coolant and brake fluid replacement is two years, so why is this another £200?
I'm glad I have just paid £599 for 5 years servicing with my new XC60.
Don't mean to rub salt into the wound.
Old Sep 10th, 2017, 11:20   #26
bobsy852

Quote:
Originally Posted by taz777 View Post
This is done at every service:

Change engine oil
Change oil filter
Change cabin air filter
Software update
Read-out fault codes
Top up washer fluid
External car wash
Check seat belts
Check battery
Check wiper blades
Check tyre pressure
Check tyre condition
Check coolant system and anti freeze degree
Check for engine oil leaks
Check for transmission oil leaks
Check steering & front suspension
Check driveshaft joints & gaiters
Check propshaft joints
Check condition of brake/fuel lines & hoses
Check brake pads & discs
Check handbrake cables & linkages
Check brake hydraulic system
Check and top up engine compartment fluids
Reset service reminder indication
In addition, the following actions are performed at specified service intervals:

Change spark plugs
Change air filter
Change auxiliary drive belt & apply decal
Change fuel filter
Change timing belt & apply decal
Check rear endsprings
Check sealant kit
Wow! I've only ever taken one car to a main dealer for a service and since then I'd never do it again!
My BMW came with FSH so I wanted to keep that going but after an overpriced service with loads of incorrectly identified "faults" with the car I refused to never go back and started maintaining cars myself!
So Volvo aren't the only ones!

To me it seems that once cars are out of their service schedules included from new, the dealerships take the p**s and prey on people who aren't clued up on things. It's bordering on criminal if you ask me.

I'd be willing to bet half the things on the list above don't get changed! I've just serviced my V70 last weekend, all new filters (except fuel), oil and a check over everything at about 1/4 of a cost of a dealership!
When I came to change the cabin filter I was shocked by the condition of it for a car with supposed FSH. I'd be surprised if it had been changed in the last 5-6yrs or so!

I still regard a car maintained by me as having FSH. I keep every receipt and keep a running excel sheet of when I buy parts and when I fit them, mileage etc. I also keep a record of MOT's on there what advisories come up (if any) along with anything else that may arise.

Anyone with any knowledge about cars should see that's as good as any stamp in a book which doesn't prove anything. If they don't, I'd rather sell to someone who appreciates it more anyway.
bobsy852 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10th, 2017, 21:42   #27
daveherns

Was this Doves by any chance?

I'll be facing this situation in a few months and wondering if I'll take it anywhere VAT registered under block exemption rules. Does the sat nav lose traffic info if you don't have a Volvo dealer do the work? I was told you get a year of Volvo recovery/breakdown cover but they told me a load of old BS.
daveherns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10th, 2017, 21:44   #28
daveherns

PS. If you pay up front for a service plan, you get the bare minimum done to your car as they've had your money up front and spent it on plants for the showroom!
daveherns is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to daveherns For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 10th, 2017, 22:12   #29
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveherns View Post
PS. If you pay up front for a service plan, you get the bare minimum done to your car as they've had your money up front and spent it on plants for the showroom!
you get the same as anyone else , do you really think they would tell their technicians to not do the job properly? They have to put their signature individually on the service check sheet ..If that was so the truth would soon get out and they would be ruined ..... a service plan is a bargain if bought with a new car .
Old Sep 11th, 2017, 10:21   #30
Semnoz

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobsy852 View Post
Wow! I've only ever taken one car to a main dealer for a service and since then I'd never do it again!
My BMW came with FSH so I wanted to keep that going but after an overpriced service with loads of incorrectly identified "faults" with the car I refused to never go back and started maintaining cars myself!
So Volvo aren't the only ones!

To me it seems that once cars are out of their service schedules included from new, the dealerships take the p**s and prey on people who aren't clued up on things. It's bordering on criminal if you ask me.

I'd be willing to bet half the things on the list above don't get changed! I've just serviced my V70 last weekend, all new filters (except fuel), oil and a check over everything at about 1/4 of a cost of a dealership!
When I came to change the cabin filter I was shocked by the condition of it for a car with supposed FSH. I'd be surprised if it had been changed in the last 5-6yrs or so!

I still regard a car maintained by me as having FSH. I keep every receipt and keep a running excel sheet of when I buy parts and when I fit them, mileage etc. I also keep a record of MOT's on there what advisories come up (if any) along with anything else that may arise.

Anyone with any knowledge about cars should see that's as good as any stamp in a book which doesn't prove anything. If they don't, I'd rather sell to someone who appreciates it more anyway.
I'm in a slight dilemma myself on this. I trust my local Volvo indie and happy to use them. But from that list of service items, I've already done many myself as I routinely check/replace things, so I'd be paying £400 but asking them not to do half work. 'Check Seatbelts' ? Does that make sure the 'child-pack' adapted rear seat-belt electronic tensioners are functioning correctly ? I doubt it very much. I suppose a software update might be worth paying for, assuming there is one available ?
My problem is that I've been ripped off by the likes of Evans Halshaw who have lied about replacing items such as the cabin filter, and then tried to charge me for a full service 2 years in a row, as they claim not have known what type of service they did the year before. Maybe I just need a nice garage experience to get my faith back in the trade....which won't happen if I keep doing everything myself