Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General Forum for the P3-platform S80 and 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

£650 for a Year 2 service

Views : 4513

Replies : 50

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 15th, 2017, 19:45   #41
S80 2.9 manual

Default Mine cost £397.98

I had the same service done by a dealer recently (V70 D4 manual). The cost was £397.98 including brake fluid change. I asked about the coolant change and the guy at the desk said that it was no longer required. Interestingly the brake fluid change was priced at £50 (inc VAT) meaning that the basic service was £347.98. Comparing my bill with the one published shows that the total labour for my service was £115 compared with over £175 (ignoring the Coolant and brake fluid) - I fail to see how they can justify charging £105.58 for the service and then add on another £70.50 for replacing parts as part of the service. Parts are all the same price, except that I didn't get charged for lube and oil on my service was £67.60 (+VAT).

I strongly suggest never returning to that garage again and finding one whose prices are more reasonable, even if it means a drive of some distance. It's probably worth it.
S80 2.9 manual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13th, 2017, 12:20   #42
taz777
VOC Member

Just to finish off this thread - there's been a kind of resolution reached.

Volvo Customer Relations has agreed to fund the basic cost of my next service (but not any additional items like brake pads, etc).

After several weeks of asking, I eventually got them to clarify the brake fluid and coolant change intervals. Volvo does recommend that the brake fluid be changed every 2 years.

HOWEVER, the coolant is not recommended to be changed every 2 years - this is a contradiction to what the dealer told me.

The coolant should be checked at every service and adjusted as necessary.

The dealer blamed Volvo documentation and maintained that Volvo stated that the coolant be changed every 2 years.

So I have one story from the dealer and another from Volvo Customer Relations.

I won't name the dealer and I certainly won't be using them ever again.

Just be aware that if any dealer tries it on and says that Volvo recommends a coolant change every 2 years that they are just trying to get more money out of you.
Old Oct 14th, 2017, 08:22   #43
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by taz777 View Post
Just to finish off this thread - there's been a kind of resolution reached.

Volvo Customer Relations has agreed to fund the basic cost of my next service (but not any additional items like brake pads, etc).

After several weeks of asking, I eventually got them to clarify the brake fluid and coolant change intervals. Volvo does recommend that the brake fluid be changed every 2 years.

HOWEVER, the coolant is not recommended to be changed every 2 years - this is a contradiction to what the dealer told me.

The coolant should be checked at every service and adjusted as necessary.

The dealer blamed Volvo documentation and maintained that Volvo stated that the coolant be changed every 2 years.

So I have one story from the dealer and another from Volvo Customer Relations.

I won't name the dealer and I certainly won't be using them ever again.

Just be aware that if any dealer tries it on and says that Volvo recommends a coolant change every 2 years that they are just trying to get more money out of you.
I have been saying this on here for many years !

Firstly going right back to the 1970's volvo coolant lasts indefinitely as long as the system remains sealed .. I have proved this over the last 40 years in my own cars .. I also have a 1988 343 with it's original coolant still bright and clean ...

There was a time around 2010 when the factory coolant took a step down , cost cutting no doubt , it would go brown between a year and 3 years later .. Volvo said it is normal and not detrimental . ( It would cost them a fortune to change it in the warranty period ) Very odd as the dye changing colour is an indicator of corrosion in the system . However this did not affect the freezing point ( -37C ) of the coolant . Can it be a coincidence that radiators stared leaking prematurely at the bottom corners at the same time ?
In these cases it is wise to change the coolant If it is not clean and a bright blue/green colour ..

The coolant bought from the volvo parts dept has always been the highest quality ... and the best value .

Saying that , they changed the formula about 5 years ago , it is now more green and no longer the thick liquid it once was , it is more like water .. and the price continues to climb regularly !

Time will tell whether it lasts forever , but so far so good ....
Old Dec 27th, 2017, 20:01   #44
krzemien

My two-pence here, not exactly related to the subject but along the same lines.

During my last annual service at one of the official VOLVO dealers (162k or year 9, however car only made 97k miles to date) I was
approached TWICE - prior to agreeing service price AND during the service itself - about changing the aux belt and tensioner.

-

To my best knowledge - backed up by necessary evidence AND knowledge shared on this forum (thanks Clan) - this is to be performed either every 54k miles or 10 years, whichever comes sooner.

Both have been swapped in my car around year 3 / 54k service, with tensioner further changed few months later (just my luck!) FOC due to the recall back in 2012.

-

I was a bit busy that day but spared 10 minutes of my working time discussing the details and eventually firmly declining kind offer (was quoted £160 extra) despite being aware of rather critical nature of these components (=potential catastrophic engine failure) and remembering about the prospecting trip to the airport two days later early in the morning.

However, I decided to clarify this situation once for all and subsequently enquired with VOLVO Customer Services seeking definitive clarifications on that point.

To my utmost surprise and before I got any response back from VOLVO, dealer gave me a call 20 minutes later still trying to talk me into this and sharing screenshots from VIDA. Quick glance on these confirmed my stance however (so not sure why dealer saw this situation differently but I digress).

Having declined once more I was told that this work has been performed nevertheless (sis!) - 'we did not want you to break down over Christmas'.

Please note that condition of both of these components has not been discussed anytime during any of these calls - had there been a genuine concern there I might have acted differently.

Results are:

1. I have had both of these components changed FOC
2. I don't have this fact registered anywhere in VIDA or on the invoice
3. VOLVO Customer Services confirmed the intervals one day later - and in writing - in line with the above: either every 54k miles or 10 years, whichever comes sooner
4. I did learn that dealers do not seem to have access to full vehicle history / services in VIDA despite these being registered centrally in Sweden - that was actually quite surprising. This only reinforces the requirement to keep all the paperwork / service history at home.
(5. I have a feeling that both of these were actually swapped without my knowledge prior to the first call but this is a mere speculation on my side)

Please draw your own conclusions.

I think it's worth making a sticky subject with these intervals for all belts clearly explained in the post for the benefit of all of us. I am more than happy to supply quotes from VOLVO Customer Services.

Last edited by krzemien; Dec 27th, 2017 at 20:06.
krzemien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27th, 2017, 20:35   #45
GrahamBrown1
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by krzemien View Post
My two-pence here, not exactly related to the subject but along the same lines.

During my last annual service at one of the official VOLVO dealers (162k or year 9, however car only made 97k miles to date) I was
approached TWICE - prior to agreeing service price AND during the service itself - about changing the aux belt and tensioner.

-

To my best knowledge - backed up by necessary evidence AND knowledge shared on this forum (thanks Clan) - this is to be performed either every 54k miles or 10 years, whichever comes sooner.

Both have been swapped in my car around year 3 / 54k service, with tensioner further changed few months later (just my luck!) FOC due to the recall back in 2012.

-

I was a bit busy that day but spared 10 minutes of my working time discussing the details and eventually firmly declining kind offer (was quoted £160 extra) despite being aware of rather critical nature of these components (=potential catastrophic engine failure) and remembering about the prospecting trip to the airport two days later early in the morning.

However, I decided to clarify this situation once for all and subsequently enquired with VOLVO Customer Services seeking definitive clarifications on that point.

To my utmost surprise and before I got any response back from VOLVO, dealer gave me a call 20 minutes later still trying to talk me into this and sharing screenshots from VIDA. Quick glance on these confirmed my stance however (so not sure why dealer saw this situation differently but I digress).

Having declined once more I was told that this work has been performed nevertheless (sis!) - 'we did not want you to break down over Christmas'.

Please note that condition of both of these components has not been discussed anytime during any of these calls - had there been a genuine concern there I might have acted differently.

Results are:

1. I have had both of these components changed FOC
2. I don't have this fact registered anywhere in VIDA or on the invoice
3. VOLVO Customer Services confirmed the intervals one day later - and in writing - in line with the above: either every 54k miles or 10 years, whichever comes sooner
4. I did learn that dealers do not seem to have access to full vehicle history / services in VIDA despite these being registered centrally in Sweden - that was actually quite surprising. This only reinforces the requirement to keep all the paperwork / service history at home.
(5. I have a feeling that both of these were actually swapped without my knowledge prior to the first call but this is a mere speculation on my side)

Please draw your own conclusions.

I think it's worth making a sticky subject with these intervals for all belts clearly explained in the post for the benefit of all of us. I am more than happy to supply quotes from VOLVO Customer Services.

If I’m honest I think the dealer was maybe just looking out for you, as you know many of these fail and wreck engines and if the dealer has had engines wrecked because of these items failing then you can see why hey want to change them. It also covers them as if did fail and wreck the engine in 6 months time the customer is bound to say I’ve just had it serviced!!

It is a good money maker for them and I take your point but at the end of the day a belt and tensioner is cheaper than an engine and a lot less hassle for everyone concerned

Current- 05 XC90 D5 Exec, 12 XC70 D4 AWD Se Lux, 14 S80 D3 Se Lux
GrahamBrown1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28th, 2017, 08:19   #46
Simon Jones
Premier Member

My concern would be that you appear to have nothing in writing to confirm both those items have been replaced, so in the unlikely event that they fail & wreck the engine, there may be some difficulty in proving liability.
2001 V70 D5 - sold
2000 V70 Classic 2.4 - sold
Simon Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29th, 2017, 09:45   #47
green van man
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrahamBrown1 View Post
If I’m honest I think the dealer was maybe just looking out for you, as you know many of these fail and wreck engines and if the dealer has had engines wrecked because of these items failing then you can see why hey want to change them. It also covers them as if did fail and wreck the engine in 6 months time the customer is bound to say I’ve just had it serviced!!

It is a good money maker for them and I take your point but at the end of the day a belt and tensioner is cheaper than an engine and a lot less hassle for everyone concerned
My dealer works the other way.
I asked for the aux belt and tensioner to be changed at 5 year service, car had 45,000 on it. Dealer was telling me it's not yet necessary and you could leave it till next year if you wanted as you've not done the milage.
I thanked them for their concern and explained I believed in preventative maintenance. They happily carried out the work.
Last service they mentioned the brake fluid, there being no record of it having been changed and it showed amber on their test. They had no record as I had changed it myself. I spent £20 on a fluid tester and immediately tested all the cars. All were green on brake fluid, however the clutch fluid on the landrover immediately turned it red and was changed in short order.
£15 for a gallon of dot 4 does both cars with some left for top up if needed. £46 for a sealey vacuume bleeder and £12 for a set of offset spanners so that the bleed nipples can be opened without removing the wheels does both cars in less than an hour.

Paul.
green van man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30th, 2017, 15:39   #48
V70Zig
Master Member

Default A rare + for the main dealer ?

I had my service (minor) and MOT a few weeks ago £224.80 including VAT....Just received my Volvo Assistance card so ........ It's a plus for my dealer.
Thank you very much TMS Hinckley.........Oh and had Polestar Optimization at a discounted price through My Volvo....happy chappie

Passed away - 1999 V70 2.5tdi Auto 340632 miles, RIP.
V70Zig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5th, 2018, 13:37   #49
krzemien

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrahamBrown1 View Post
If I’m honest I think the dealer was maybe just looking out for you
There's that, possibly, but I prefer this is arranged somewhat differently. Like here:

Quote:
Originally Posted by green van man View Post
My dealer works the other way.
I asked for the aux belt and tensioner to be changed at 5 year service, car had 45,000 on it. Dealer was telling me it's not yet necessary and you could leave it till next year if you wanted as you've not done the milage.
I thanked them for their concern and explained I believed in preventative maintenance. They happily carried out the work.
Especially as I declined when I was quoted for the job few weeks earlier.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon Jones View Post
My concern would be that you appear to have nothing in writing to confirm both those items have been replaced
I do have an e-mail trail to prove it if needed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by V70Zig View Post
I had my service (minor) and MOT a few weeks ago £224.80 including VAT....Just received my Volvo Assistance card
And there's a surprise: I'm still awaiting mine (!) as details were entered into VOLVO systems only 3 days ago...
Old Mar 18th, 2018, 23:18   #50
StuAgain

Very interesting thread.
I purchased a 5 year Service Plan (£500) with my 2016 V70 D3 and it had its first service a year ago and I got a Visual Health Check Inspection Report and an Invoice for £0.00 for carrying out 1st year service. Now it has had its "nd annual visit to the Dealer and all I got back was a copy of the Visual Health Check and a request that should I be sent a Volvo questionnaire on my servicing experience, would I mark it Outstanding.

This response is most unlikely bearing in mind the above thread and that I have no knowledge that the consumables were supplied. A visit is in order.
StuAgain is offline   Reply With Quote