Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Speed limiter feature in XC60 T8 2024

Views : 1182

Replies : 15

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 13th, 2024, 15:36   #1
chriswithxc60

Default Speed limiter feature in XC60 T8 2024

It appears that Volvo removed the user defined speed limiter setting in the cruise control in their more recent software. This was an essential feature as I usually set it to ~20 mph when driving around London.

I used to press some buttons and had a "LIM" appear on the display and I could then manually set the speed and avoid going over the speed limit. Now I have only the automated speed limit, which is frequently wrong. I have no way to make the "LIM" appear.

I don't mind Volvo adding all these features that I don't care about, but now they've removed something that was the most useful.
chriswithxc60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13th, 2024, 22:00   #2
OldEngineer

This is infuriating.

I went to Volvo today and a salesman said it was definitely on the 2023 model. He obviously had no clue that the software is updated to remove it.

Just how do you get reliable information?

He also said the motorised blind has been deleted. So I asked how it is kept in place to cover the load. He fiddled for a moment until I asked to shut the tailgate. The blind motored into place! (the boot floor is downgraded to a piece of string rather than twin hydraulic struts)
Old Apr 14th, 2024, 01:06   #3
sandys
XC60 T8 Ultimate Dark

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriswithxc60 View Post
It appears that Volvo removed the user defined speed limiter setting in the cruise control in their more recent software. This was an essential feature as I usually set it to ~20 mph when driving around London.

I used to press some buttons and had a "LIM" appear on the display and I could then manually set the speed and avoid going over the speed limit. Now I have only the automated speed limit, which is frequently wrong. I have no way to make the "LIM" appear.

I don't mind Volvo adding all these features that I don't care about, but now they've removed something that was the most useful.
Don't you just set the speed in the cruise control and that's that, it keeps you at 20 or what ever speed you set, that's what I do, it never goes over when in B mode?

Last edited by sandys; Apr 14th, 2024 at 01:09.
sandys is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sandys For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 14th, 2024, 09:38   #4
chriswithxc60

I don't want cruise control in heavy traffic. I just want to drive the car and for it to prevent me from exceeding a speed that I set.

My Mercedes from 2006 had this feature and now my £65k Volvo from 2024 doesn't.

I love everything else about the car. I have it on a 9 month lease, with the intention of ordering a new one during that time but if they don't bring back this functionality I won't be buying one.
Old Apr 14th, 2024, 11:29   #5
sandys
XC60 T8 Ultimate Dark

That functionality should be in the car, Intelligent Speed Assistance became EU law in '22, is it just called something different to what you are expecting in the menu? No doubt the old limiter did not meet EU specs so had to change.

Last edited by sandys; Apr 14th, 2024 at 11:32.
sandys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14th, 2024, 17:13   #6
MG14

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriswithxc60 View Post
I don't want cruise control in heavy traffic. I just want to drive the car and for it to prevent me from exceeding a speed that I set.
I don’t understand that at all. Let the cruise control do all the work. Adaptive cruise makes life so much easier as you just et it and let it drive. The only thing you need to do is blip the throttle (or button) to set it off from stationary.
I can’t see many reasons for using a speed limiter.
Old Apr 14th, 2024, 17:34   #7
chriswithxc60

Quote:
Originally Posted by MG14 View Post
I don’t understand that at all. Let the cruise control do all the work. Adaptive cruise makes life so much easier as you just et it and let it drive. The only thing you need to do is blip the throttle (or button) to set it off from stationary.
I can’t see many reasons for using a speed limiter.
Number one reason: I feel safer and more comfortable using my brain and eyes for driving around urban areas than relying on the cruise control. I realize other people will have different views on this.

The combination of the human brain and vision system is generally better than the car sensors and computer. That's why we don't have self driving cars.

Volvo has simply made the car less safe with this change to an automated-only limiter. 50% of the time in London the automatic limiter switches to 30mph when the limit is 20mph. As a result I have to focus a lot more on the speed instead of my surroundings. Even outside of town I've seen the automatic speed limit recognition system read a 40mph sign on the side of a dual carriageway and suddenly brake the car, it's awful.
Old Apr 15th, 2024, 14:43   #8
neilgorin

A manual speed limiter is essential. Cruise is a liability in traffic.

Many many Volvos do not have the system on cruise that maintains a distance to traffic in front - mine doesn't and neither have any of the 4 courtesy cars I've been in this year (XC40, XC60, S60), none of which were the lowly spec of my own car.

The speed limiter with road sign recognition is as good as useless - on my daily 20 mile each way commute it has one section of the A1 as a 30mph limit and another as a 60mph limit, when both are 70mph. It also has a busy but fast single carriageway 60 limit as a 70 and a 20 as a 30. This is just on one journey. It corrects itself if it sees a sign but not always. And then the car over reads significantly anyway, as does almost everything on the road.
The Following User Says Thank You to neilgorin For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 17th, 2024, 15:03   #9
Wizzpop
Master Member

I was at my dealers today and was told that the 2024 models now ping at you if your speed is over the perceived speed limit, and cannot be turned off. Another EU directive! Stupid when my Volvo sees a 20 limit sign just off the main road (40 limit) and tells me I am over the limit. There are so many "safety" features these days which are detrimental to safe driving. So many drivers these days don't seem observe the road conditions.
Old Apr 17th, 2024, 16:43   #10
techwatcher
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizzpop View Post
I was at my dealers today and was told that the 2024 models now ping at you if your speed is over the perceived speed limit, and cannot be turned off.
I understand that the system cannot be turned off permanently and will default to being 'on' but that it can be disabled for your current journey.