Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Track control arm polybushes

Views : 1768

Replies : 29

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 11th, 2019, 21:28   #1
360beast
Go redblock or go home

Default Track control arm polybushes

Hi all

I'm getting a little confused about which bushes are which.

I have the spaceship polybushes to fit but I want to fit the polybushes that go the other end of the track control arm at the same time as I have the arms off.

Are the super pro bushes SPF2012K the correct ones https://www.ipdusa.com/products/7918...ushing-700-900

Or are these the ones for the rear of the arm

https://www.ipdusa.com/products/7825...t-poly-700-900

Thanks in advance
360beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11th, 2019, 23:08   #2
classicswede
Trader Volvo in my veins

The TCA bushes link two arms together so to be clear

Going into the front arm that does into the crossmember

https://www.classicswede.co.uk/Super..._17823204.aspx

and then going backwards the bush in teh same position as the 360 tie bar bushes

https://www.classicswede.co.uk/Super..._17823202.aspx
classicswede is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to classicswede For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 11th, 2019, 23:29   #3
TonyS9
Premier Member

the inner suspension arm bush is fun to change, my bush puller couldn't get enough force, so I had to beat it inside out. Literally fold the inner metal up through hole.

To be honest I would just go for standard bushes for replacements, I couldn't justify the poly ones for the inner. Even the spaceship ones cause car parking skip I think.
TonyS9 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TonyS9 For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 12th, 2019, 00:30   #4
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

If it ain't broke, don't fix it Luke!

I've seen many reports on here that agree exactly with what Tony said about polybushes. If you've got the spaceship polybushes, i'd say fit those and see how you get on driving on them - if you really want to tighten the front up more then perhaps consider the control arm to chassis bushes but unless yours are seriously worn, they won't make a lot of difference, even renewing with standard rubber and i suspect you may transfer an unacceptable level of vibration with stiffer poly bushes in them.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 12th, 2019, 09:19   #5
360beast
Go redblock or go home

I was going to use the arms off the car I'm breaking and fit the bushes to that so I didn't have to take my car off the road to fit it.

I have a hydraulic press at work that makes changing bushes very easy!

However if you you don't have a press then a good way of doing them is to heat burn all of the rubber out, then heat up the sleeve in a line so it has a cherry red line up the middle. Then use something the same size as the sleeve if you can and if not then a punch and a hammer and you will be able to hit the whole sleeve out. I did it to the rear axle bushes and chassis bushes at work yesterday on a 1957 Bentley S1.

My spaceship bushes and potentially rear ones are shot so when I reverse with a bit of lock the whole car jumps around!

Other than car park skip are there any other negatives? I can live with that as I used to drive a slammed mk2 golf so a harsh ride is nothing new to me as long as it handles well.

Last edited by 360beast; Jan 12th, 2019 at 11:22.
360beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12th, 2019, 10:34   #6
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

"Car park skip" can also be caused by incorrect wheel alignment - even slightly out and it'll jump about like Zebedee on a pogo-stick! Considering how tight the 7/9xx cars turn and the incredibly tight Ackermann angles involved in the steering, it's no real surprise.

Get your spaceship bushes done then check/adjust the wheel alignment to get rid of as much car park skip as possible, whether that includes doing the rear bushes on the control arms is up to you. Even with standard spaceship bushes and correct wheel alignment, turn a bit too tight on an uneven surface and i get a bit of skip on mine.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote