Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Return to Invoice GAP insurance

Views : 1858

Replies : 19

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 17th, 2014, 20:03   #1
duzzar

Default Return to Invoice GAP insurance

Hi there, my dealer is trying to sell me something called Return to Invoice GAP insurance which is supposed to cover the difference between motor insurance settlement and the amount originally paid for the vehicle, or the amount outstanding on finance whichever is greater, in the event of a total loss claim. Anyone has had it before? Is it needed? Thanks
duzzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17th, 2014, 20:11   #2
Considered1
Premier Member

GAP insurance has been around for a number of years and yes aimed at settling your finance in full if the Insurance company come up with a different figure to your outstanding loan amount to clear the car, assuming it had been declared a total loss of course.

You can just pay the difference (if you dont insure it) but in my (personal) opinion I'd always make sure the Insurance company pay out enough to settle, or replace the car like for like if they cant. Focuses the mind to make sure you get a great deal in the first place and maybe put down a sensible deposit rather than bare min.

Cars will depreciate at different rates depending on many factors
Considered1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17th, 2014, 20:15   #3
wimorrison
Grumpy Old Sod

Haggle with the dealer he may throw it in with the deal - mine did
Old Feb 17th, 2014, 20:21   #4
tem
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wimorrison View Post
Haggle with the dealer he may throw it in with the deal - mine did
Off the cuff, £350 was mentioned on a £12,500 loan.
No pressure to take it.

tem.
Old Feb 17th, 2014, 21:04   #5
Arianne
Premier Member

Better deals can be had on the internet money comparison websites.
Old Feb 17th, 2014, 21:05   #6
Flux
Premier Member

Check with your insurance company first. Mine (Tesco) will pay the full price of replacement in the first year if it is written off. Therefore no need for GAP for 1st 12 months but might be worth buying after 12 months from a GAP insurer (assuming they will offer this on cars that are one year old).

My dealer is offering me GAP, wheel insurance and some touch up for scratches (yet to see full details) for circa £800 (half price!). Is it worth it?

Last edited by Flux; Feb 17th, 2014 at 21:09.
Flux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17th, 2014, 21:09   #7
wimorrison
Grumpy Old Sod

Quote:
Originally Posted by tem View Post
Off the cuff, £350 was mentioned on a £12,500 loan.
No pressure to take it.

tem.
Ouch, as Arianne says that is dear, at least seems that to me.

GAP is to cover more than the loan, it is to make up the difference if the car is written off between the insurance payout and the cost of a new car for however long the GAP is running.

I agreed 3 years for new car if written off, and next 2 years to same spec car of same age giving 5 years in total - all thrown in by dealer and I super the wasn't paying much for it
Old Feb 17th, 2014, 21:14   #8
Considered1
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flux View Post
Check with your insurance company first. Mine (Tesco) will pay the full price of replacement in the first year if it is written off. Therefore no need for GAP for 1st 12 months but might be worth buying after 12 months from a GAP insurer (assuming they will offer this on cars that are one year old).

My dealer is offering me GAP, wheel insurance and some touch up for scratches (yet to see full details) for circa £800 (half price!). Is it worth it?
Whats wheel Insurance ..? @ £1600 (ok I know you are getting it cheaper?)
you could pay for a new set
Its these add ons that make the dealers a fortune, they all seem like a good idea at the time... check the small print before you buy..
Considered1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17th, 2014, 21:20   #9
AngloScot
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flux View Post

I would say no. I have never had these insurances on any of my previous cars and never needed them (maybe lucky ?). One Volvo dealer I went to seemed to be more interested in selling me these insurances than the actual car ! Maybe if you invested the Quoted £800 that may cover any future scratches etc.
AngloScot is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to AngloScot For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 17th, 2014, 21:27   #10
Flux
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Considered1 View Post
Whats wheel Insurance ..? @ £1600 (ok I know you are getting it cheaper?)
you could pay for a new set
Its these add ons that make the dealers a fortune, they all seem like a good idea at the time... check the small print before you buy..
Not sure of the finer details. Covered cut tyres that need to be replaced and touch up of alloys if scuffed. Also covers GAP, scratch repair and an autoglym paint protection finish (forgot that one it my other post). They are keen to push all of this but think I'll take the risk on this one..
Flux is offline   Reply With Quote