Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

D4 VEA 'check engine' light / EGR fault thread

Views : 600952

Replies : 2692

Users Viewing This Thread : Chrisv60

Old Apr 1st, 2020, 20:07   #2391
GMcL
0's and 1's

It would be interesting to see what the failure rate was like in somewhere like Germany where the cars can get a frequent real Italian tune-up.

People in the UK talk about taking the car for a blast but in reality what is that ? 3,000rpm maybe pushing 80mph ?

My 5 cylinder D3 has never had a clogged DPF but then again it gets a real blow out every day using 7% ethanol diesel. I suspect the fuel and restrictions contribute to the issues.

A diesel engine HAS to work. If it is just idling along it WILL clog up.

Previous: 2005 Volvo S60 D5 Sport - 2017 Focus RS

Last edited by GMcL; Apr 1st, 2020 at 20:09.
GMcL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5th, 2020, 08:23   #2392
V70Gavin

Looks like it has got me too. 65 plate XC70 (2WD) with the D4 VEA. 68k miles.

On start up revs fluctuate for a couple of minutes, on observing the EGR actuator (with the cover plate off) I can see it twitching and then the revs drop.

Economy down at 40 mpg. Engine bay getting very hot, fans running more than expected.

Local dealer garage, very helpful, has managed to negotiate EGR replacement with 30% goodwill (so cost to me £500ish). Not not sure if this includes the cooler as well as the EGR....must check.

Whilst I don't have the dreaded engine management light up and my (limited) OBD scanner doesn't show any error codes, I have had one "reduced engine performance" indication which cleared on driving off.

Please see video: https://youtu.be/05ht5uWftB4

....what do you think? Time to bite the bullet and pay the money? Should I go to Volvo Customer Services/Complaints and try for 50% as others seem to have got?

Having only had the car 3 months (replaced a lovely but thirsty D5 AWD XC70) this is not what I paid my money for.

Thanks,

Gavin
V70Gavin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5th, 2020, 09:37   #2393
Zebster
Upstanding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by V70Gavin View Post

On start up revs fluctuate for a couple of minutes, on observing the EGR actuator (with the cover plate off) I can see it twitching and then the revs drop.

Economy down at 40 mpg. Engine bay getting very hot, fans running more than expected.

Local dealer garage, very helpful, has managed to negotiate EGR replacement with 30% goodwill (so cost to me £500ish). Not not sure if this includes the cooler as well as the EGR....must check.

Whilst I don't have the dreaded engine management light up and my (limited) OBD scanner doesn't show any error codes, I have had one "reduced engine performance" indication which cleared on driving off.

....what do you think? Time to bite the bullet and pay the money? Should I go to Volvo Customer Services/Complaints and try for 50% as others seem to have got?

Having only had the car 3 months (replaced a lovely but thirsty D5 AWD XC70) this is not what I paid my money for.

Thanks,

Gavin
If you don't have stored error codes then I doubt that you have a problem with either the valve or the cooler. At the very least there seems to be no firm evidence supporting the above diagnosis of a faulty EGR valve. The description of a hot engine with fans running is not consistent with an EGR problem, but is perhaps an indication of an interrupted DPF regeneration?

If you bought the car from a motor trader then surely you have a legal claim against them?
Old Jun 5th, 2020, 13:14   #2394
V70Gavin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zebster View Post
If you don't have stored error codes then I doubt that you have a problem with either the valve or the cooler. At the very least there seems to be no firm evidence supporting the above diagnosis of a faulty EGR valve. The description of a hot engine with fans running is not consistent with an EGR problem, but is perhaps an indication of an interrupted DPF regeneration?

If you bought the car from a motor trader then surely you have a legal claim against them?
Thanks Zebster, I have been reading your posts with interest.

I am pursuing a warranty claim but also want to be sure that the right thing gets repaired/changed. Did you manage to see the video with the clicking EGR and then it "twitching" while at idle? That's what makes me feel this is an EGR issue but any other ideas of why the car might be dropping revs at idle and haveing the EGR twitch would be very welcome!
Old Jun 5th, 2020, 14:08   #2395
Rob3583

Hi, have you had the intake manifold replaced as part of the recent recall. Uneven running at idle is one of the symptoms, do you have any exhaust smell in the cabin at start up?
Rob3583 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Rob3583 For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 5th, 2020, 16:45   #2396
Zebster
Upstanding Member

Quote:
Thanks Zebster, I have been reading your posts with interest.

I am pursuing a warranty claim but also want to be sure that the right thing gets repaired/changed. Did you manage to see the video with the clicking EGR and then it "twitching" while at idle? That's what makes me feel this is an EGR issue but any other ideas of why the car might be dropping revs at idle and haveing the EGR twitch would be very welcome!
I didn't watch that vidclip, mainly because I've never watched mine moving and so don't know what to expect! However I do know that that the EGR valve closes during DPF regen in order to raise combustion temperature.

Rob made an excellent point above regarding the 'intake manifold fire risk' recall work. Has yours definitely been done? There are ways to check if you're unsure.
Old Jun 5th, 2020, 19:54   #2397
V70Gavin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob3583 View Post
Hi, have you had the intake manifold replaced as part of the recent recall. Uneven running at idle is one of the symptoms, do you have any exhaust smell in the cabin at start up?
Rob,

The local main dealer garage checked for recalls when I bought the car and subsequently fitted the EGR cooler hose modification. Otherwise I believe it is up to date.

No exhaust smell in the cabin. On driving the car this evening it had the usual drop in revs and regain during idle but I could also feel hesitancy/stuttering under constant load (well constant accelerator position) driving on the dual carriageway at 70.

I will ask Zebster how to spot whether the mod has been done.

Thanks for the tip,

Gavin
Old Jun 5th, 2020, 19:58   #2398
V70Gavin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zebster View Post
I didn't watch that vidclip, mainly because I've never watched mine moving and so don't know what to expect! However I do know that that the EGR valve closes during DPF regen in order to raise combustion temperature.

Rob made an excellent point above regarding the 'intake manifold fire risk' recall work. Has yours definitely been done? There are ways to check if you're unsure.
Zebster,

If you could tell me how to check whether the manifold recall work has been done I would be very grateful.

Still intrigued as to way the EGR twitches at idle....the drop in revs/stutter is always just after the EGR twitch. So not sure how the inlet manifold could affect that - unless the manifold if affecting back pressure which is causing the EGR valve to be activated...somehow.

Thanks,

Gavin
Old Jun 5th, 2020, 20:08   #2399
V70Gavin

Quote:

Thanks,

Gavin
In addition here is a screenshot from my OBD reader app showing EGR position (yellow) and EGR position error (green).....
Attached Images
File Type: png IMG_0572.PNG (230.9 KB, 20 views)
Old Jun 5th, 2020, 20:54   #2400
Zebster
Upstanding Member

Quote:
Zebster,

If you could tell me how to check whether the manifold recall work has been done I would be very grateful.

Still intrigued as to way the EGR twitches at idle....the drop in revs/stutter is always just after the EGR twitch. So not sure how the inlet manifold could affect that - unless the manifold if affecting back pressure which is causing the EGR valve to be activated...somehow.

Thanks,

Gavin
While the upgraded EGR cooler can be identified by a modification to the top rad hose, I'm pretty sure you can't tell if the intake manifold has been replaced... in fact the recall for the fire risk does not automatically result in a replacement manifold being fitted. However mine WAS (eventually) replaced, because the internal mechanism was found to be sticking. But you can put your VIN into a Volvo website to see if your car has outstanding recalls... https://www.volvocars.com/uk/own/mai...rranty/recalls or the gov.uk site where you check the MoT history also has a link for outsanding safety recalls.

More info on the fire risk recall here... https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=296328