Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Were to get 940 estate lowering springs

Views : 1318

Replies : 24

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 29th, 2020, 01:07   #11
coolpurks

When I had my last 940 a couple of years ago I bought these but never got round to fitting so passed them on the the new owner when I sold the car-

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Fits-Volv...t/293090573140

Seemed good value. My current 940 has new shocks and springs all round fitted by the previous owner so can't bring myself to fit some new springs when the existing ones are like new!
coolpurks is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to coolpurks For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 30th, 2020, 03:14   #12
deeman940
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
From what you've said there, two words come to mind - FUBAR dampers!

Dampers aka shock absorbers are what control the bounce from the spring, i'd hazard a guess that you only renewed the springs and not the dampers?
Chances are, the old ones were weak and while they controlled the old, weak springs ok, they couldn't cope with new springs that were stronger.

Coilovers can be good if they're set up correctly but tend to be more difficult to get the right mix on both to work right, especially with "universal" kits.
Actually Dave, the dampers were brand new GAZ fro a well known supplier...i don't think the kit was especially researched / developed and therefore matched.....because i fitted both at the sametime it was impossible to tell which was at fault.....The ride was rubbish though...and i have lowered in some way every car i have had since age of 19!!!!!
The Bc coilovers were a MASSIVE improvement over the Kilen/GAZ setup!
deeman940 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to deeman940 For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 30th, 2020, 10:43   #13
MiniNinjaRob
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by deeman940 View Post
Actually Dave, the dampers were brand new GAZ fro a well known supplier...i don't think the kit was especially researched / developed and therefore matched.....because i fitted both at the sametime it was impossible to tell which was at fault.....The ride was rubbish though...and i have lowered in some way every car i have had since age of 19!!!!!
The Bc coilovers were a MASSIVE improvement over the Kilen/GAZ setup!
So you don't know what was at fault but blame the springs as rubbish anyway?

Volvo 940 springs are linear rate springs, as long as you fitted the right ones it would have been fine - probably the shocks at fault (faulty or wrong ones) or wrong springs.

My 40mm springs and B4's work very well, more controlled ride, yes a little firmer but not uncomfortable and handles a lot better.
MiniNinjaRob is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MiniNinjaRob For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 30th, 2020, 10:50   #14
MiniNinjaRob
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
From what you've said there, two words come to mind - FUBAR dampers!

Dampers aka shock absorbers are what control the bounce from the spring, i'd hazard a guess that you only renewed the springs and not the dampers?
Chances are, the old ones were weak and while they controlled the old, weak springs ok, they couldn't cope with new springs that were stronger.

Coilovers can be good if they're set up correctly but tend to be more difficult to get the right mix on both to work right, especially with "universal" kits.
The dampers on my 940 were so bad when I bought it the back end used to bounce up and down after a speed bump so long they were still bouncing at the next one - had a look at them when they were removed and one was barely working and the other had zero fluid/gas left in it and was just two tubes sliding in and out of each other! Was a revelation when the full car setup was replaced.
MiniNinjaRob is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MiniNinjaRob For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 30th, 2020, 11:42   #15
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiniNinjaRob View Post
The dampers on my 940 were so bad when I bought it the back end used to bounce up and down after a speed bump so long they were still bouncing at the next one - had a look at them when they were removed and one was barely working and the other had zero fluid/gas left in it and was just two tubes sliding in and out of each other! Was a revelation when the full car setup was replaced.
That pretty much describes the state of the Nivos on mine when i first got it. As they also control the ride height, the back end was about 40mm low and very soft. As a result i ripped the exhsut off on a speed hump.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30th, 2020, 14:31   #16
deeman940
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiniNinjaRob View Post
So you don't know what was at fault but blame the springs as rubbish anyway?

Volvo 940 springs are linear rate springs, as long as you fitted the right ones it would have been fine - probably the shocks at fault (faulty or wrong ones) or wrong springs.

My 40mm springs and B4's work very well, more controlled ride, yes a little firmer but not uncomfortable and handles a lot better.
As i said, i was unsure which were to blame. It sounds like it may of been the dampers judging from your experience. With the GAZ/ Kilen setup you could feel every little ripple in the road too, i just didn't like it. It would of been nice to try some different dampers but i decided to go with the BC kit instead and really glad i did....
deeman940 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to deeman940 For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 30th, 2020, 14:40   #17
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by deeman940 View Post
As i said, i was unsure which were to blame. It sounds like it may of been the dampers judging from your experience. With the GAZ/ Kilen setup you could feel every little ripple in the road too, i just didn't like it. It would of been nice to try some different dampers but i decided to go with the BC kit instead and really glad i did....
I've got Suplex springs all round on mine, standard height (and see my note about Suplex/Kilen/Lesjofors above) and KYB dampers.

Extremely smooth, balanced with no undue bounce or anything. Many people who have ridden in my 32 y/o Volvo think that it rides like or better than a brand new car.

Leads me back to what i suggested about the dampers and also what Rob suggested along similar lines. If the dampers and springs weren't a well researched combination that wouldn't have helped, it's possible they were standard dampers and you'd fitted them with uprated, lowered springs in which case they would perhaps struggle to react to every little movement. Were they adjustable at all?

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Old Apr 30th, 2020, 15:18   #18
classicswede
Trader Volvo in my veins

The common complaint I here with BC's is the rear end is terrible, you see the same complaint often with them for both 240 and 7/900 series

https://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=354642

the reason is the wheel rate ends up with the rear being nearly double the stiffness of the front, the opposite of what you want for driving

I suspect but can not confirm that perhaps short GAZ dampers were used with 40mm lowering springs where they would need to be full length. Otherwise could simply be the dampening adjuster were just not set in the right kind of area
classicswede is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to classicswede For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 30th, 2020, 21:41   #19
Palehorse940

Would springs and shocks from another model fit and would estates and saloons be the same
Old Apr 30th, 2020, 23:19   #20
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palehorse940 View Post
Would springs and shocks from another model fit and would estates and saloons be the same
All the 7/9xx springs and dampers are esentially the same, however there are a few discrepancies.

For example, any saloon with IRS/multilink rear suspension uses different rear springs and dampers.

I'm not aware of any models that use stronger springs as standard but i believe some models were available with stronger springs on the back end (Business pack or tow pack?) and i suspect the D24 engined models have stronger front suspension due to the engine being heavier.