Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 300/66 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

300/66 Series General Forum for the Volvo 340, 360 and 66 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Towing with a CVT

Views : 2763

Replies : 11

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 11th, 2012, 22:28   #11
Joe Harding
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by reb067 View Post
Hallo Joe,

just one question:

do you have experience with the CVT and how would you repair it or change ir?

thanks for reply
My experience was limited to a few months in which I changed shims and replaced belts. I learned a lot, but not enough to change the whole module. There are others who can help you better. If anyone needs them, I have two or three shims somewhere free to first caller. PM me.
Joe Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20th, 2012, 20:44   #12
Hell Driver

Default CVT towing

In the 1990's I used to tow a very heavy 1960's caravan with my 1977 343 (vario of course!). I think it weighed well over a ton laden (not advising this for legal resons!). Also there were at least 2 or 3 adults in the car at the time and 'stuff'!

Trips done included:

Doncaster to Dorset (twice) 800+miles X 2
Doncaster to Glasonbury 500+miles
Doncaster Reading
Doncaster to London
& One or two other trips of a few hundred miles!

The CVT held up brilliantly, no problems whatsoever. Top speed was limited on the motorway to 45mph uphill, although downhill was fine!

Must say that CVT is far better than manual as the constant gear changing is a pain when towing a caravan with less than ideal tow car power wise. I currently tow a 960kg max caravan with a 1.7 manual 340. Just about enough power not to be too slow. Keeps up with motorway traffic OK. In a 1.4, CVT would be better than manual purely for this reason.

The only problem is that as the CVT keeps the engine at ideal revs for the load/speed it is always working flat out (which is good...constant power delivery on hills!) and so overheating on a hot day is likely. I used to have to turn the heater on even on hot days to loose some heat out of the engine! An extra cooling radiator would have sorted this out.

From what I remember, low ratio hold was useful at low speed and on hills but certainly not to be used all the time. Using when downhill on a main road would just waste fuel and add ware to the CVT and engine.

Don't attempt it unless your engine and CVT are both in top shape however. Extreme towing will no doubt find any weakness and punish you! Don't forget that the extra wear on both the engine and CVT belts will lower the life of both. Clutch should be fine if you avoid rapid starts as once moving it won't get extra use, unlike a manual.

The only reason not to tow with a CVT 340 is that being a CVT, it will be a 1.4 and so vastly underpowered (for towing that is). If you do it, don't expect too much of the car and take it very easy!

I once got 30mpg out of it with the caravan....can't even match that with the 1.7. That was due to the very slow speeds and lack of wind resistance!

Last edited by Hell Driver; Mar 20th, 2012 at 20:49.
Hell Driver is offline   Reply With Quote