Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General Forum for the P3-platform S80 and 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

2007 s80 running problems

Views : 3079

Replies : 7

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 14th, 2012, 14:46   #1
bradley
Brad the Chauffeur

Default 2007 s80 running problems

Hi, 1st off I am not a mechanic. I am a Chauffeur with an S80 2.4d on a 07 plate with 166000 miles.
I have been having A FEW problem for the last few months. Mostly I have been using approx 4 LITRES of oil EVERY MONTH. SOMETIMES I get a "WHUMP WHUMP " that sounds like its coming from under the air box on the nearside front of the engine.And loss of power, ( sometimes it pulls away like an old bus)
Keep getting the following messages:
"Soot filter full"- followed by the "engine service required"
Been into Volvo,Slough who charged me over £300 to tell me "Well there's something wrong"- "But were not sure what, and we do not have the time or the facilities to go into it" !!

Looked on Volvo Forum and found somebody with a similar problem & who also had the same problem with Volvo, Slough. They, as I took it into Phil
Whittaker at Farnham Common. ( "His " was diagnosed as a stuck EGR Valve"- the noise under the air box being caused by exhaust gasses), sadly this is not the same case as mine!).

Phil Whittaker diagnosed a Mechanic engine problem and said it would be far to expensive to investigate and I should look for a replacement Engine!! Cant find one anyway, but gather it would be around 4 grand + fitting

At present it is in a garage in Slough where at present they have found 2 leaking injectors and have taken both the top and bottom ends off the engine to check the head, valves & Pistons.

Scared of what this is going to cost me - as I am now out of work until this is sorted & financed up to the hilt because of the cost of doing this job!
Garage are now telling me I am going to need a replacement DPF Filter, as mine is probably knackered, after all the oil that's gone through it!

Has anybody else had these problems? Do I need to keep the DPF filter?
Any help gratefully received

Hope this helps and it's not so drastic as mine.
Brad
bradley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14th, 2012, 17:18   #2
tommyweaves
Premier Member

Doesn't sound good Brad, you have my sympathy.

Have you tried looking for a second hand engine from a breakers?
tommyweaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16th, 2012, 17:41   #3
bradley
Brad the Chauffeur

Default S80 Problems

Can't locate an engine anywhere. New engine is in excess of 4k + fitting
At present it is in a garage with a mechanic, ( though ex Citroen./ Renault etc)
Have discovered.
SOOT FILTER COMPLETELY BLOCKED

Pistons heavily oil stained- suggesting pressure forcing oil past the rings
2 x injectors leaking heavily

Now just been told Cylinder head ( which went to AH HOWARDS, ( if anybody know them) is badly damaged. They're asking for history, because damage is not due to high mileage, but mechanical failure
new water pump & cam belt
Haven't an idea what caused this and nobody has been near the engibne- except for a new box at Christmas

Thanks anyway
Brad
Old Mar 16th, 2012, 18:06   #4
tommyweaves
Premier Member

Brad, how long or for how many miles did you run it while you were using 4 litres of oil per month?
tommyweaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18th, 2012, 21:54   #5
raja1

Hi Brad,

Your story has a few things about it to which I can relate. I have a 2007 2.4D SE S80.

Car was used as a taxi by the previous owner. Original engine failed due to faulty injectors. The engine was replaced by the previous owner, it was a used engine that was supposed to only have 24K on it. He'd had enough of the running costs at this point and decided to sell it.

I bought the car, and within 2 weeks of driving it the soot filter full warning light started to come on. Took it to the local dealership who put it through a forced regen but found that would not prevent the soot filter warning. They then replaced the sensor, but within one week back to the same problem. Symptoms also included loss of power.

I left the car with them a few days and they found that the engine was permanently running in regen mode and the soot filter was at 700c all the time. During the course of the 2 weeks I did notice that the engine oil needed topping up a lot.

In any case, what they found was that the soot filter was full of oil. Suspected that when the original engine failed, a large amount of oil entered the exhaust and got caught up in the soot filter creating enough of a blockage for the engine to go into regen mode and not clearing. Had the soot filter replaced and have not had the issue since. I suppose I could have tried one of the soot filter cleaning companies cheaper. The cost from a dealership is around £1000!!

The engine has always sounded quite "tired", in that it has a tractor like idle..lol Although, oil consumption now seems to be "normal". Car was serviced a week ago but now I am getting a engine system service required warning. On top of that the steering rack and possibly the power steering pump need replacing for which I have been quoted £1600 with labour. Before the soot filter replaced I also had a turbo hose replaced and an injector seal that needed repair - both costing around £500.

I have not gone through with the steering rack replacement yet and aim to find an independent who is honest and more cost effective or I will just get rid of it.

The rough idle is something that the dealership has never diagnosed, even after connecting a computer to the car and taking it for a drive. Not sure if the truth of what is wrong with the engine has been kept from me so that they can carry on making repairs or if they really don't know. I need to find an independent with the facilities and the know-how to diagnose and offer an honest opinion of whether or not it can or should be repaired.

I am not sure if anything about my story helps, but it might serve as a point of reference somewhere.

Good Luck!!
-Raja

Last edited by raja1; Mar 18th, 2012 at 21:58.
raja1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13th, 2012, 15:02   #6
bradley
Brad the Chauffeur

Default S80 continuing problems

Hi Folks, want to thank you all for your advice and apologise about not updating sooner.
To date I have had the engine completely stripped down at a quoted cost of around 2.5 k. HOWEVER this sailed way past that when they found cracked valve guides, valves head etc. ( the head alone was 2k and included a new cam shaft). Also had rings and shell bearings replaced. New cam belt, water pump etc.
Got the car back and ran it gently for a week Total bill was 5100k !- cheaper than a second hand engine, but 2.5 k more than I had- so garage has agreed to instalments.

HOWEVER "soot filter" light remained coming on & kept going into limp home. Soot filter was taken out and pressure washed - though this came out clean. Garage have physically inspected this and its clear

Now they have changed the Pressure sensor and the MAS ( Mass air sensor), cleared all the codes and it still wont run properly & the garage say non drivable. At a real loss, as is the garage. Tried talking to the main volvo stealer and they aren't interested. I am a chauffeur and really on the verge of losing my job as I have now been off work 5 weeks! and the garage are at a loss.
Asked me to look on the net for answers.
Sorry for the "book", but am desperate for help.
Brad
Old Apr 17th, 2012, 16:21   #7
s80lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradley View Post
Brad
I found this. Maybe this will help u

D5 2007 engine for sale.

Volvo brakers
s80lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2012, 11:21   #8
raja1

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradley View Post
Hi Folks, want to thank you all for your advice and apologise about not updating sooner.
To date I have had the engine completely stripped down at a quoted cost of around 2.5 k. HOWEVER this sailed way past that when they found cracked valve guides, valves head etc. ( the head alone was 2k and included a new cam shaft). Also had rings and shell bearings replaced. New cam belt, water pump etc.
Got the car back and ran it gently for a week Total bill was 5100k !- cheaper than a second hand engine, but 2.5 k more than I had- so garage has agreed to instalments.

HOWEVER "soot filter" light remained coming on & kept going into limp home. Soot filter was taken out and pressure washed - though this came out clean. Garage have physically inspected this and its clear

Now they have changed the Pressure sensor and the MAS ( Mass air sensor), cleared all the codes and it still wont run properly & the garage say non drivable. At a real loss, as is the garage. Tried talking to the main volvo stealer and they aren't interested. I am a chauffeur and really on the verge of losing my job as I have now been off work 5 weeks! and the garage are at a loss.
Brad
Hi Bradley,

try these guys:

http://www.turnerautomotive.co.uk/

-Raja
raja1 is offline   Reply With Quote