Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S40 / V40 '96-'04 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S40 / V40 '96-'04 General Forum for the Volvo S40 and V40 (Classic) Series from 1995-2004.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

What did you do to your x40 today???

Views : 1073374

Replies : 12937

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 15th, 2015, 21:01   #7831
GaryS40
VOC Member

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by netrocyn View Post
Sadly not, it's doing it every time now, motor on its way perhaps? Although it's strange, when I click on ignition it repositions itself without problem, but when I get home it's stuck up even if I've not used the wipers.
New motor required, almost certainly, mate.

I had the same last year and just disconnected the motors until I fit the new motor - later this year, when I put in new fog light bulbs, LED day runners and possibly Xenons.

Gary
Mod's so far: Orpheus alloys, 10.1" android multimedia head unit, Nappa leather rebuilt, wood trimmed m/function steering wheel, Polestar blue and black calipers, Pipe Dynamics custom turbo back stainless steel exhaust, with 200 cell sports cat, R engine and injector rail covers, tinted rear windows.
Previous cars:
1982 760 GLE saloon
1989 740 GLE estate
1991 440 S
2003 S40 S - Gone but not forgotten. ☹
16 non Volvos.
GaryS40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15th, 2015, 21:04   #7832
GaryS40
VOC Member

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volvo2002 View Post
Recent work to Goldie

Track rod-end (NSF)

Steering arm (OSF)

Drop-link (OSF)

Two front tyres

Now in the process of getting oil and a filter! Car has done over 9k at least since it's last oil change, now on 105,805 miles.
Welcome back Tom!!!

Where have you been, mate?

Gary
Mod's so far: Orpheus alloys, 10.1" android multimedia head unit, Nappa leather rebuilt, wood trimmed m/function steering wheel, Polestar blue and black calipers, Pipe Dynamics custom turbo back stainless steel exhaust, with 200 cell sports cat, R engine and injector rail covers, tinted rear windows.
Previous cars:
1982 760 GLE saloon
1989 740 GLE estate
1991 440 S
16 non Volvos.
Old Mar 15th, 2015, 21:12   #7833
GaryS40
VOC Member

Thumbs up

Gave mine an 'above the rubbing strip' and full bumper machine polish and hoover out this weekend.

Also gave the alloys a coating of Ceramishield, then some Zaino tyre shine.

My Gtechniq stuff didn't arrive, so I have to do the trim tomorrow and leave the C1 and EXO until the next polish, if there ever is another one.

Only had a few drops of C4 left, so did the headlight wiper surrounds and the n/s rear bumper quarter. IPA'd all the trim, so it all looks pretty grey just now.

Fitted my new pressed number plates too.

Still need to plasti-dip and fit the rear spats that I got earlier, from Siamblue.

Photos tomorrow...

Gary
Previous cars:
1982 760 GLE saloon
1989 740 GLE estate
1991 440 S
16 non Volvos.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GaryS40 For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 15th, 2015, 21:28   #7834
GaryS40
VOC Member

Thumbs up

Not today, but Friday, got a quote from Pipe Dynamics in Fyffe for a two box stainless steel exhaust. £390 fitted.

Might look at getting this fitted in April, possibly before the MOT is due.

Gary
Previous cars:
1982 760 GLE saloon
1989 740 GLE estate
1991 440 S
16 non Volvos.
The Following User Says Thank You to GaryS40 For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 15th, 2015, 22:51   #7835
kieran40
I've Been Banned

Tom you have decided to keep ol goldie then I knew you would mate how's that other little car going.
kieran40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16th, 2015, 07:27   #7836
baldmosher
moshmobile driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobthecabbage View Post

I think the fuel economy has improved too which makes sense if the maf was playing up.

My dilemma now is do I buy a replacement MAF just in case it happens again?

Unplugging it worked as a temporary fix last time but I have no real confirmation that it was the maf (although it probably was) so if it wasn't then next time it may not help (if its the EGR for example).
I paid £15 for mine which seems to be the going rate. At that price it was worth a try and it worked for me. New MAF is about £220 with discount from Volvo!
baldmosher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to baldmosher For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 16th, 2015, 07:28   #7837
baldmosher
moshmobile driver

http://i.imgur.com/GTti9Ey.jpg

I don't think I like black wheels very much. One thing eliminated. Worth a trip to meet another forum member too

That's not me in the pic by the way

Last edited by baldmosher; Mar 16th, 2015 at 07:30.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to baldmosher For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 16th, 2015, 07:32   #7838
baldmosher
moshmobile driver

Found the infamous pocket of dirt in the rear wheel arches. Rammed full of fine damp dirt! Must point it out to the guy who washes cars, as he's the only one I know with a jet wash, and I pay him enough to notice these things!

Last edited by baldmosher; Mar 16th, 2015 at 07:34.
Old Mar 16th, 2015, 09:55   #7839
kieran40
I've Been Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by baldmosher View Post
Found the infamous pocket of dirt in the rear wheel arches. Rammed full of fine damp dirt! Must point it out to the guy who washes cars, as he's the only one I know with a jet wash, and I pay him enough to notice these things!
I always give mine a blast round Tom when I jet wash mine routine, the x40's pick up some muck.
kieran40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16th, 2015, 12:14   #7840
baldmosher
moshmobile driver

I'm already thinking of ways to block up that little cubby hole. It's such a silly design flaw. Obviously, if the metal underneath is painted up OK, then any fine dirt buildup on top may in fact work as a barrier to salt and other debris, as much it acts as a wet poultice for corrosion, but my paranoid nature would rather clean it up properly, and slap a load of Hammerite or POR15 on it, just to be safe.

I really am getting excited about moving to a house with an outside tap and power sockets within reach....!

I pulled back the door rubber this morning for a closer look at that rust "spot" I mentioned on the door (at the weld about 12" back from the wing mirror corner). It actually looks more severe than I first thought. Maybe it's just electrolytic from the galvanised coating and it's crystallising, but it looks like a brown leaked battery. Not good. It's certainly not terminal for the door, but I don't like seeing corrosion like that. Looking forward to Antz getting his "new" car (assuming it's a 357, it certainly looks like it) as I'd rather replace the whole bonnet and door with intact spares rather than pay £400 for a bloke to treat the tiny little bits of rust and then spray the whole panel....

Last edited by baldmosher; Mar 16th, 2015 at 12:19.

Tags
bacont4, bananahammock, mp3, mp3s, rubbisht4s, uttergarbage