Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Diesel regen

Views : 438

Replies : 7

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 1st, 2024, 09:10   #1
Fat Magpie

Default Diesel regen

I would really like to see a software update that somehow the dashboard indicates when a regen is about to begin or is in progress. It could be as simple as illuminating 1 pixel on the dash display or even a message. At the moment, I rely on the smell, and once detected, I go for a good burn up the motorway to help the regen complete its task. Constantly failed regens, if the journey is too short, can damage the oil in the sump.
XC60 MY10 AWD D5 Summum 205 PS, Geartronic, Winter pack, Aux diesel heater, Xenons, Family pack, Tinted rears, Moonroof, Parking sensor F&R, Premium sound, Car phone, Reversing camera, Lane departure, Hill decent, Savile Grey.
Fat Magpie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fat Magpie For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 1st, 2024, 11:15   #2
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Magpie View Post
I would really like to see a software update that somehow the dashboard indicates when a regen is about to begin or is in progress. It could be as simple as illuminating 1 pixel on the dash display or even a message. At the moment, I rely on the smell, and once detected, I go for a good burn up the motorway to help the regen complete its task. Constantly failed regens, if the journey is too short, can damage the oil in the sump.
you don't have to do a thing and shouldn't notice any difference when it is regenerating it takes care of itself very well. Certainly revving it has no effect at all, Its quite happy to regenerate doing 50 mph along a country road in top gear.. If you can smell something you have the incorrect pollen filter in the car !
Old Feb 1st, 2024, 12:51   #3
BlueDevil

Yeah, that's not gonna happen, unfortunately.

What I did is I got myself an OBD2 adapter that plugs in the port to the left-hand side under the steering wheel column (left-hand drive). Using free OBD scanner app on the phone I can see when the regen is going on, progress, and when it's over.

A good give-away for the regen is when the start/stop goes to "unavailable" and the menu message under MyCar - eDrive is "engine system" - when I see that (when the car misses to stop on the light and it should stop the engine), I then check this menu and if it's not "climate" or some other reason, I plug in the dongle and check the scanner app to see regen progress.

Although there should be a way, just needs some looking into. For example, to help rising the temp of the exhaust (needed for regen) my ex Peugeot used to turn on rear screen defrost and (together with it) the side mirror defrosting. But it didn't illuminate the LED on dashboard, it just turned on those functions to rise the load on the generator/engine. So when we found that out, we did a simple LED+wire hack on the driver's side side mirror where we connected the LED to the hot wire of the defroster. There was enough room between the mirror itself and the mirror housing to put the LED ("glued" with a dab of hot glue): the LED was invisible even if you knew it was there, until it turned on. Now, if you were to turn on defrosting, you'd know why it was on. But if it came on by itself, you knew the regen was on.

I guess it's possible Volvo does something like that too, and a similar tell-tale could be implemented, but I'm sure they will not give you that info by themselves - no car company does 🤷*♂️

HTH
Old Feb 1st, 2024, 20:44   #4
Pidgeonpost
Master Member

I have a Carista OBD reader which I bought for use on our Skoda with the VAG DPF app. It's easy to monitor a regen. Usual first sign is DPF temperature rises to 600C°. I also hooked it up via Car Scanner app to our V70 as I was hopeful to see something similar. No such luck so far. The fields are there but unpopulated so I don't know if it's the app or whether I need to select a different vehicle profile. I don't think there are too many options. Need to have another look. But, as Clan says, the car does seem to look after itself.
Old Feb 2nd, 2024, 01:07   #5
Whippy
Premier Member

Yeah, sorta, kinda, while my regens do take care of themselves there is the odd occasion when I pull up to the shack, switch off and find the cooling fans running hell for leather and an odd smell in the air. Now if I had an led on the dash to let me know I would have kept on going coz I don't like to interrupt the regen.
So there's that.
Old Feb 2nd, 2024, 12:23   #6
Kev0607
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueDevil View Post
Yeah, that's not gonna happen, unfortunately.

What I did is I got myself an OBD2 adapter that plugs in the port to the left-hand side under the steering wheel column (left-hand drive). Using free OBD scanner app on the phone I can see when the regen is going on, progress, and when it's over.

A good give-away for the regen is when the start/stop goes to "unavailable" and the menu message under MyCar - eDrive is "engine system" - when I see that (when the car misses to stop on the light and it should stop the engine), I then check this menu and if it's not "climate" or some other reason, I plug in the dongle and check the scanner app to see regen progress.

Although there should be a way, just needs some looking into. For example, to help rising the temp of the exhaust (needed for regen) my ex Peugeot used to turn on rear screen defrost and (together with it) the side mirror defrosting. But it didn't illuminate the LED on dashboard, it just turned on those functions to rise the load on the generator/engine. So when we found that out, we did a simple LED+wire hack on the driver's side side mirror where we connected the LED to the hot wire of the defroster. There was enough room between the mirror itself and the mirror housing to put the LED ("glued" with a dab of hot glue): the LED was invisible even if you knew it was there, until it turned on. Now, if you were to turn on defrosting, you'd know why it was on. But if it came on by itself, you knew the regen was on.

I guess it's possible Volvo does something like that too, and a similar tell-tale could be implemented, but I'm sure they will not give you that info by themselves - no car company does 🤷*♂️

HTH
Which obd adapter and app are you using?
Old Feb 5th, 2024, 11:04   #7
BlueDevil

I missed your question, sorry for that!

I have bought "iCar Pro OBDII Diagnostic Interface" which is bluetooth and wifi.
I think there are quite a few people on this very forum using it, it works flawlessly. HAs three LEDs (RGB) that blink when connected, plus the free "Car Scanner" app (iPhone user here) which I liked so I payed for extras. But it's free initially and for the simple purpose of reading an error code or monitoring regen, it works with no need to purchase the full version (which is cheap after all, so why not).

HTH
Old Feb 5th, 2024, 14:26   #8
GMcL
0's and 1's

The instant fuel consumption tells you if you switch to l/100kms. Volvo only shows to 99.9mpg for imperial display, when regenerating this would be around 120mpg vs 999.9mpg when off the gas.

Foot off the gas shows 0 l/100kms, when regenerating it will show between 1.2 and 1.8l/100kms.

Previous: 2005 Volvo S60 D5 Sport - 2017 Focus RS
GMcL is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GMcL For This Useful Post: