Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

S80 airbag light fix?

Views : 2063

Replies : 8

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 7th, 2012, 16:12   #1
boomish

Default S80 airbag light fix?

I have a 1999 S80 and its had an airbag light for a few years now, I had it reset a few times at Volvo before a mechanic said don't worry about it. Now with new MOT laws I have to get this fixed or get rid of the car.
I have bought a Vida lead and software and got the codes through of Too high resistance 1 & 2, a friend said if remove the bag and clean the contacts it might sort it or it is to do with the coil in the steering column?

Any clues on how easy this is or any experience on this? it's such a lovely car I'd love to be able to fix it and can't afford another car or to get it to the Volvo garage now so really appreciate any help.
boomish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7th, 2012, 18:45   #2
reggit
Premier Member

I had too high resistance on some of my airbags when I got the car, it turned out they weren't connected!

Which one is troublesome on yours? I'm assuming drivers side when you mention steering column?
Old Nov 7th, 2012, 19:10   #3
boomish

Thanks for the reply Reggit, ahh I've had the car for many years so it's def connected, someone went in the back of us some years ago and it kinda started not long after that, I think they shorted a few things when it was repaired.
I found a video online on how to take the airbag out, so I'll give that a go and clean the connectors, looks very dangerous though so best handle with care. I have some switch cleaner that leaves no residue. I just wondered if it was anything further into the wiring.
Old Nov 7th, 2012, 20:56   #4
Unreal master tech

Hi mate if the codes relate to the passenger side and the car does not have one fitted its likely the srs module is fooked it's a known fault on the early cars that this could happen can you confirm it is the drivers side? Also the air bags have gold plated terminals to prevent resistance fluctuations as this would result in potential problems so I advise leaving these alone for your own safety!!! If the airbag is connected you really need to get a proper electrician to check the resistance from the srs module to the air bag connections with the srs connector disconnected and battery also disconnected to see where it is broken this will show exactly where the fault lies!!

Last edited by Unreal master tech; Nov 7th, 2012 at 21:01.
Unreal master tech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7th, 2012, 22:55   #5
reggit
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by boomish View Post
Thanks for the reply Reggit, ahh I've had the car for many years so it's def connected, someone went in the back of us some years ago and it kinda started not long after that, I think they shorted a few things when it was repaired.
I found a video online on how to take the airbag out, so I'll give that a go and clean the connectors, looks very dangerous though so best handle with care. I have some switch cleaner that leaves no residue. I just wondered if it was anything further into the wiring.
Disconnect your battery at least 10 minutes before you start working on the airbag system. When you've finished, turn the ignition to position 2 before reconnecting the battery. This is the recommended method, incase an airbag deploys - at least you aren't in the car with it.

If things have been shorted, it springs to mind that the airbag could be faulty?
Old Nov 8th, 2012, 00:10   #6
boomish

Great replies guys thanks, never thought to check if it was the drivers side, yes there is no passenger air bag, and I do recall seeing a message it was the passenger airbag at fault.
I knew about the battery disconnect Reggit but thanks for the recon advice
I didn't know that. I'm an audio engineer so pretty safe around electrical bits but I know this could be disaster if handled incorrectly. I'll check if it's airbag or module, I saw some not too expensive on EBay.

I've got fix this and an engine Managment light which I presume will be the ETM, and I thought that might be solved with a simple clean, I hope so anyway.
Thanks again for the advice, at least I know we're to start looking!
Alan
Old Nov 8th, 2012, 00:28   #7
harveys
Master Member

Could be the seatbelt pretensioner wires or have they fired.
harveys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8th, 2012, 04:42   #8
reggit
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by harveys View Post
Could be the seatbelt pretensioner wires or have they fired.
Pre tensioner is only singe stage (as are sips bags) so won't generate the two warnings.
Old Jun 22nd, 2013, 16:32   #9
boomish

It's been a while but the dreaded MOT is coming soon and as I understand it I have to have all warning lights cleared..
So I got a new siren module and replaced that today! and thanks to the guides on here it was quite straightforward, the siren fastener was even secured with a bolt so I didn't even have to drill it out! feeling very happy with the my beloved Volvo.

But now the dreaded airbag fault, thanks for all the advice yes it is a passenger airbag fault, saying resistance is too high, Stage 1 & 2 and I can't clear it no matter how many times I reset the ECM with Vida, I have checked under the seats and all wiring looks ok.
So has anyone got advice what to do? replace the SRS module? is that easy?
I also noticed another error today I'd not seen before Variable Camshaft signal too low.

I really appreciate any advice, I'm really short of cash so can't afford to take it to Volvo, and I've had the car over 10 years no so be a shame if it had to go, apart from the lights it runs fine..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Error codes.jpg (47.3 KB, 13 views)

Last edited by boomish; Jun 22nd, 2013 at 16:37.