Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Soot coming from exhaust

Views : 3686

Replies : 30

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 3rd, 2007, 11:35   #11
JayK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Track_Rod View Post
I
Give me back my 900 series which was built to last.
Stop whinging about it, sell the D5 and buy a 900 series then.

FWIW, I had a 700 and 900 series and the D5 I currently have has been FAR more reliable than both of them.

The only issue really is that modern cars seem to suffer a lot of electronic (often hard to trace) failures whereas cars of old were pretty easy to diagnose as everything was mechanical.
Old May 3rd, 2007, 11:46   #12
D5 Monkey
Gone and forgotten

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayK View Post
Stop whinging about it, sell the D5 and buy a 900 series then.

FWIW, I had a 700 and 900 series and the D5 I currently have has been FAR more reliable than both of them.

The only issue really is that modern cars seem to suffer a lot of electronic (often hard to trace) failures whereas cars of old were pretty easy to diagnose as everything was mechanical.
Agreed.

And the German brands aren't necessarily any better. My colleague has just got rid of his Beemer after suffering 2 years of endless niggly faults since buying it new. All cars will have problems, it's just our expectations that change.

My Photos on Flickr
D5 Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2007, 20:06   #13
2003bhoy

Just a quick update for those of you who are interested. I phoned the main dealer before I went in to collect the hose and clips, just to find out how much it would cost for them to fit it. I was quoted £8 + vat. For the sake of being able to point the finger at them if anything goes wrong and the fact I would need to buy screwdrivers as I'm away from home, I booked it in. The job only took a matter of minutes and when I went to pay the labour charge had mysteriously trebled. When I questioned this it was reduced. The interesting thing was the service manager also asked me if I could book the car in to have a coolant pipe at the rear of the engine replaced. Seemingly this is a Volvo initiated repair that is only happening to cars when they are booked in for a repair or service. It must be quite an awkward job as they need half a day. I asked him if they would have told me had I just bought the parts and he said no, £8 well spent!

On a different note I was quoted £340 for a 36k service. No thanks!
2003bhoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2007, 22:10   #14
piggy

My 02 v70 d5 110k on the clock, has been no trouble.I've sorted a fair few of the known problems out myself,but for what i paid for the car, the comfort and performance more than make up for it.As for other "premium" brands, my brother had a brand new m3,he got fed up after the second new gearbox in 3 months.He sent it back.My other brother had a vw t5 transporter van with too many faults to mention,all in under 3 years and less than 36k miles!This is the second v70 i've had and both have been a pleasure to own.In short,i don't think volvos are any worse than any other car i've owned.Having said that,i would'nt be too chuffed if the injectors pack up!

piggy
piggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 1st, 2007, 13:56   #15
RoyMacDonald
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMcL View Post
Off topic I know but I have to agree with the above about Volvo quality.
I was torn between BMW, Mercedes and Volvo this time...Next time it'll be between the Germans.
It's a sad day when the number one car manufacturer by volume is Japanese.
Fantastic people at taking an idea and developing/improving it but, my god, they have no idea with a blank piece of paper.
Give us a sports car ? OK, Celica, sporty body shape with Corolla underpinnings. Skyline ? PS2 on wheels with PS2 style bodywork (straight edges and ugly to look at).
It's all going horribly wrong for people who want more than turn key point to point metal !!!
Try running a search for rust on the Merc web site! I tried a 4 year old E-class estate and found rust all over place. My 25 year old 245 still has none although it's left outside all the time. I got rid of the Merc and went back to Volvo after 4 months. It was a nice drive was the best I can say. To charge £40,000 for a new car thats not properly painted....... OK they are good at honouring the warrenty but that's not the point.
RoyMacDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 1st, 2007, 14:14   #16
GMcL
0's and 1's

That's why I wouldn't touch a mid-90's on Mercedes.

I have a Volvo now which I will keep for the next five years (unless things start falling off and it gets too expensive).
In four years time or so I will then start searching other forums on cars I want to look at. It'll certainly be interesting to see where Volvo are then especially if, as the rumours suggest, BMW have any influence in the future.

Previous: 2005 Volvo S60 D5 Sport - 2017 Focus RS
GMcL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 1st, 2007, 14:20   #17
GMcL
0's and 1's

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyMacDonald View Post
To charge £40,000 for a new car thats not properly painted....... OK they are good at honouring the warrenty but that's not the point.
I would argue that is the point. At least Mercedes stuck their hand up and said we screwed up in the paint process and, provided the car has been looked after by us, we'll make good the damage.
It's a shame Volvo don't take a leaf out of Mercedes' book and do the same for owners with the ETM issue(s).

Previous: 2005 Volvo S60 D5 Sport - 2017 Focus RS
GMcL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 1st, 2007, 15:11   #18
RoyMacDonald
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMcL View Post
I would argue that is the point. At least Mercedes stuck their hand up and said we screwed up in the paint process and, provided the car has been looked after by us, we'll make good the damage.
It's a shame Volvo don't take a leaf out of Mercedes' book and do the same for owners with the ETM issue(s).

Fair comment..... but it wasn't just the paint quality, the inside of the 3rd row of fold down seats only had a coat of primer. Just looked nasty! There was no rust proofing like the Dinitrol Volvo use anywhere. I loved the big 3,200 cc CDI enginge and lovely autobox though.

Must say I find the XC90 lots more fun. I normaly keep my cars about 15 years, so we'll see how things go. This is my 4th Volvo, so it must say something for them.
RoyMacDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3rd, 2007, 00:02   #19
mgminimk1

Default Soot Problem

I Have the same soot problem. I have replaced the large intercooler pipe at the front and the pipe at the rear with the sensor in it to no avail. Loads of smoke on mid to heavy acceleration, then the engine requiring service sometimes comes on and the engine seems to go into safe mode and won't go above 60 mph por a short time or until you switch off the engine and restart. Any help this is driving me mad (pardon the pun if it is one!!)
mgminimk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3rd, 2007, 00:12   #20
S60-MBS
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgminimk1 View Post
I Have the same soot problem. I have replaced the large intercooler pipe at the front and the pipe at the rear with the sensor in it to no avail. Loads of smoke on mid to heavy acceleration, then the engine requiring service sometimes comes on and the engine seems to go into safe mode and won't go above 60 mph por a short time or until you switch off the engine and restart. Any help this is driving me mad (pardon the pun if it is one!!)
check your intercooler for cracks..