Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General

Notices

PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General Forum for the Volvo PV, 120 and 1800 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

122S gear box mounting

Views : 3112

Replies : 9

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 9th, 1999, 21:18   #1
Julian King (South Africa)

I had bad engine vibration transmitting through the body. Most of it was
cured by fitting genuine VOLVO engine mounts which were MUCH softer than the
substitutes that I had used.Does the same apply to the gearbox mount? Is the
remaining vibration likely to be caused by a mount that is too hard?
Old Feb 7th, 2000, 23:40   #2
jamie taylor

fit gearbox mounting rubber and the two rubbers further down the prop shaft. it is significant the role this plays.
Old Mar 18th, 2000, 09:54   #3
Mike Arnold
Master Member

Default RE: 122S gear box mounting

I agree with the other reply that the pair of rubber prop shaft mounts are important to cut down vibration. Many years ago I had a knackered engine in my 122 which leaked oil. The oil sprayed the underside of the car which, although it stopped rusting, made the the rubber mounts go soft and encouraged vibration.

One other thought: check the universal joint in the propshaft. If there is any play that too can cause vibration.
Old Apr 10th, 2000, 21:42   #4
Julian King

Thanks for your help. I am puzzled by the reference to TWO rubber mountings aft of the gearbox mounting. I can find only one big round job at the joint of the front and rear sections of the two-piece propshaft. What am I missing here.
Old Apr 15th, 2000, 20:42   #5
Mike Arnold
Master Member

Default RE: 122S gear box mounting

My 1966 122S has a pair of bushes (about 3cm in diameter) where the floating prop shaft support connects to the chassis. The prop shaft may be in another bush but I cannot remember. Of, course, you car may have been modified or be different.
Old Sep 2nd, 2000, 03:15   #6
VERO

CHECK YOU UNIVERSAL JOINTS AND CENTER SUPPORT
BEARING ON YOUR DRIVE SHAFT
COMMON PROBLEMS
Old Oct 30th, 2000, 23:19   #7
jamie t

having just fitted overdrive on my 1970 131 i can confirm the other configuration of a large single rubber seal for the prop shaft
i had taken the 2 rubber seals from a 1966 121
Old Jan 8th, 2001, 13:08   #8
ntallis

Alternative gearbox mounting that can be used is a Land Rover engine mounting, this has the advantage of being stiffer than the o/e mounts. A stiffer mount can help particularly with an overdrive gearbox due to the additional weight of the overdrive. It is important to adequately support the rear of the gearbox, because if the rear of the 'box is allowed to drop, the alignment of the propshaft front/rear joints will not be equal and this will also generate a vibration through the body.
If the vibration you are experiencing is a harsh metalic one then replacing the two circular supports for the centre prop bearing will definitely help, also a stiffer rear g'box mount will help this as a soft mount can result in metal to metal contact between the g'box and the x member.
Old Jan 13th, 2001, 00:42   #9
curious (Guest)

are you the tallis who used to rally amazons? or related?
Old Feb 14th, 2001, 13:56   #10
Nick Tallis (Guest)

Dear Curious,

I think the Tallis you are refering to would be my uncle, 'John Tallis', he used to compete back in the '60's, most notably the London to Sidney Marathon (1968 I think). Believe it or not he still has the car and it's only got a couple of thousand miles more than when it finished the event.

I competed in the Rally of the Vales (South Wales)in about '94, this might be what you're thinking of.

Regards

Nick.