Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S40 / V40 '96-'04 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S40 / V40 '96-'04 General Forum for the Volvo S40 and V40 (Classic) Series from 1995-2004.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

V40 1.9D Lack of boost after 2500RPM

Views : 2007

Replies : 34

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 30th, 2018, 22:52   #11
Dirty Diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by aldred309uk View Post
To sort your pipe which keeps fallingnoff you may want to clean the inside of it. I used methelated spirit and a rag because there's normally a thin film of oil in the pipes. I also used a bit of sand paper to rough up the metal which it attaches to to make it grip better, hope this helps.

To diagnose the boost issue I took a metal drinks can. Cut off the top and bottom and turned the cylinder into a sheet. I removed the egr actuator and placed it flat faced on the sheet of metal. Traced around it and marked out the drill holes. I cut out the the shape and made holes for the bolts. I believe a Christmas tree bit is best but I used a normal drill bit and made a bit of a mess. I then re-fitted the egr actuator with the sheet of metal between the actuator and the egr itself. Road test confirmed that the car was driving as it should do which made the egr valve the problem. I left mine blanked off in this fashion because my valve was already immaculate and I didn't have the funds at the time to fix it. It has passed the new type of MoT too. Hope this helps you narrow down the problem with the minimal time hunting. And don't go too tight on the bolts, they will shred the housing if you do..... worth checking if there's an egr gasket whilst you're there!
I might just try that with the Intercooler pipe, it can be a bit irritating to over time come off and then start losing power. It'll be worth a try at least, thanks for the suggestion!
Dirty Diesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30th, 2018, 23:23   #12
AndyV7o
Premier Member

It could well be a blocked egr come to think, lets just say the tiny pipe is blocked so no pressure is reaching MAP sensor, ecu thinks theres no boost so doesnt actuate boost solenoid, egr is so full of crap that the boost has nowhere to go, you get a huge excess of pressure until something has to give, ya know, like a slippery rubber pipe....
This makes sense, lets hope its your problem and not a wild goose chase!...
AndyV7o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30th, 2018, 23:29   #13
Dirty Diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyV7o View Post
It could well be a blocked egr come to think, lets just say the tiny pipe is blocked so no pressure is reaching MAP sensor, ecu thinks theres no boost so doesnt actuate boost solenoid, egr is so full of crap that the boost has nowhere to go, you get a huge excess of pressure until something has to give, ya know, like a slippery rubber pipe....
So the turbo would be still boosting at full pressure but nothings getting through. Funnily enough i had wondered whether something was causing excess back pressure, making the intercooler pipe come off. Now i think about it, and with someone else backing up my theory, i think that the EGR may very well be my problem! Definitely gonna get it seen to asap!
Old Aug 31st, 2018, 07:58   #14
Dirty Diesel

Quote:
Oh, btw i forgot to ask: as Aldred said about any gaskets i might need, are there any that i will need to buy? If so, where would be the the best place to get them from?

I've been meaning to buy an o-ring type gasket for a minor oil leak i have. I think I made a thread here about it actually. So yeah, where would be the best place to buy things like that from for this car?
Old Aug 31st, 2018, 12:58   #15
AndyV7o
Premier Member

You can buy the gasket for a few quid on ebay, but, the original metal one can usually be re-used, just take care not to overtighten egr and distort mating faces.
Old Aug 31st, 2018, 13:06   #16
Dirty Diesel

Quote:
You can buy the gasket for a few quid on ebay, but, the original metal one can usually be re-used, just take care not to overtighten egr and distort mating faces.
Well if it's a metal gasket for something like the EGR I might just get away with it then. Do the three bolts have a torque setting, or just nip em up?

Ya know I hadn't even thought to look on eBay for small gaskets haha, good idea
Old Aug 31st, 2018, 15:36   #17
aldred309uk

I bought the rubber o-ring from Renault. You can buy it from volvo too but renault is a few quid cheaper. Just depends on which dealership is easiest to get to I guess!
Old Aug 31st, 2018, 16:14   #18
Dirty Diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by aldred309uk View Post
I bought the rubber o-ring from Renault. You can buy it from volvo too but renault is a few quid cheaper. Just depends on which dealership is easiest to get to I guess!
Awesome, i know there's a Volvo dealer less than 20 miles away but not sure about Renault. I'll have to have a browse around. Sure there is a Renault dealer close by.
Old Aug 31st, 2018, 16:16   #19
Dirty Diesel

Quote:
Not 100% sure exactly how much the volvo is the same as renault, but same engine and egr unit should mean same egr housing, which in turn should mean its sat right at the top of the engine, at the back, to the right-hand side (as you are stood looking at engine). There are 3 bolts slightly offset, one is a bit fiddly but none are actually hard. 10mm socket on a long extension, 1/4" drive works best due to clearance. Remove lead from 'top' of egr nearest you, undo the bolts then holding the egr body start to twist and pull, working it gradually out, as it will be stuck-up tight with carbon so wont initially want to budge.
You might want to make a tool too, get some 5 or 6mm threaded rod, put 2 nuts on end with a penny washer inbetween. Remove big boost pipe from right hand side of egr housing, and insert the tool through this aperture, through egr cavity, to scrape out crap from inlet manifold.
There is a small spout to rear right of egr housing where boost pipe attaches which feeds boost to the MAP sensor via a small pipe, make sure ya dont miss cleaning this!

Hope this helps!
Even if its not egr, its a job worth doing, and a cause eliminated...

Anoher note, when I first did mine, a small nugget of crap came from somewhere and wedged egr open, causing no power below 3k rpm, so just be aware of this if you fire it up, get warning lights and no guts!
Well I've looked around on Halfords, and some Wynn fuel injection and carb cleaner is on offer for a fiver a can, so might see if i can get up there after work before it closes so i can see to that this weekend.
Old Aug 31st, 2018, 18:30   #20
AndyV7o
Premier Member

That sounds like a fuel treatment?
Its expensive for carb cleaner, a 4-500ml aerosol is usually £3-5 depending on brand/shop...

Tags
1.9d, boost, diesel, turbo