Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S40 / V40 '96-'04 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S40 / V40 '96-'04 General Forum for the Volvo S40 and V40 (Classic) Series from 1995-2004.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

V40 1.9D Lack of boost after 2500RPM

Views : 2006

Replies : 34

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 31st, 2018, 18:35   #21
Dirty Diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyV7o View Post
That sounds like a fuel treatment?
Its expensive for carb cleaner, a 4-500ml aerosol is usually £3-5 depending on brand/shop...
Yeah that pricing sounds about right. Well I'll be going soon, so I'll take a look at what they've got while I'm there
Dirty Diesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1st, 2018, 09:30   #22
V40DSchariot
Master Member

If still have the same problem after cleaning erg valve, have a look through this thread.
I had a very similar problem that seems to be very rare.
https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=179816
V40DSchariot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1st, 2018, 09:44   #23
Dirty Diesel

Quote:
That sounds like a fuel treatment?
Its expensive for carb cleaner, a 4-500ml aerosol is usually £3-5 depending on brand/shop...
Welp, i tried to get it out last night, but to no avail: i only managed to remove the outer valve, the inner valve is stuck solid. Soaked it with WD last night and gonna try again today.

May very well have to buy a fresh gasket for it, how would i go about ordering one from Renault or Volvo, would i just go into a dealership and ask to have one ordered in, or would i just call the company itself?
Old Sep 1st, 2018, 09:49   #24
Dirty Diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by V40DSchariot View Post
If still have the same problem after cleaning erg valve, have a look through this thread.
I had a very similar problem that seems to be very rare.
https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=179816
Thanks for the suggestion man, I'll bear it in mind if the EGR isn't the problem. Thanks again!
Old Sep 1st, 2018, 10:31   #25
V40DSchariot
Master Member

Unless you have a Volvo dealership really close just give them a ring to order one.
There is FRF which I've used before, they have a thread on here somewhere they will order and post to you, just depends how much post would be.
V40DSchariot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1st, 2018, 12:56   #26
Dirty Diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by V40DSchariot View Post
Unless you have a Volvo dealership really close just give them a ring to order one.
There is FRF which I've used before, they have a thread on here somewhere they will order and post to you, just depends how much post would be.
There's a dealer about 20 miles away or so. Be a long trek just for a gasket, but i dunno yet. FRF? What are they, a motor factor or something?
Old Sep 1st, 2018, 21:31   #27
Dirty Diesel

Quote:
It could well be a blocked egr come to think, lets just say the tiny pipe is blocked so no pressure is reaching MAP sensor, ecu thinks theres no boost so doesnt actuate boost solenoid, egr is so full of crap that the boost has nowhere to go, you get a huge excess of pressure until something has to give, ya know, like a slippery rubber pipe....
This makes sense, lets hope its your problem and not a wild goose chase!...
Welp, me and my uncle have removed the EGR, cleaned it, put it back on and took her for a test drive. That hose came off again, so we wacked it back on, and away we went.

Low and behold, she pulls like a bloody train! No boost problem! She doesn't hold back at high RPMS anymore. Goes like a good 'en!

Problem solved!! Thank you guys so much for your help, you have no idea how greatful I am! Definitely coming here again for any further prob in the future. Thank you again everyone! Hope this thread helps other people like myself.

What a way to end a Saturday!
The Following User Says Thank You to Dirty Diesel For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 1st, 2018, 22:04   #28
AndyV7o
Premier Member

Nice one fella! Glad the first try got it sorted!
Bet it was proper caked, guessing 'little finger' sized hole in one of the chambers?
AndyV7o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1st, 2018, 22:07   #29
Dirty Diesel

Quote:
Nice one fella! Glad the first try got it sorted!
Bet it was proper caked, guessing 'little finger' sized hole in one of the chambers?
Didn't seem as bad as i first thought to be honest, but was caked in the manifold, where the gases go to and from the EGR Valve, rather than the valve itself. But hey ho, she's sorted now. Chugged and smoked a bit on startup, but she soon settled down and ran like a champ.

Well stoked now! Gonna treat her to some form of Redex soon, just to help clean any remaining gunge around the injectors and/or valves.
Old Sep 1st, 2018, 22:13   #30
AndyV7o
Premier Member

Redline 85plus for cleanup/Millers dieselpower ecomax for maintenance
AndyV7o is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
1.9d, boost, diesel, turbo