Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

NA to B230FT swap-worth it?

Views : 1066

Replies : 6

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 28th, 2018, 19:08   #1
BarteXtreme

Default NA to B230FT swap-worth it?

Hey. What's up.

So I've bought a 940 recently and the plan for it was to swap the B230FB which is in it currently for a B230FT. The only plan for it is to be a amateur drift car. I had to do some work to the engine, already welded the diff and cut the springs so it's enough for me for the winter.
But during the spring I wanted to swap the engine for a B230FT as I mentioned, and modify the engine to get a bit over 200 WHP. After some research I found out that I would also have to swap the transmission since my M47 may brake with that amount of power. The price of a used B230FT is also a bit more than I imagined.

So my question is, how much trouble is it to swap those engines?
What else would I have to change?
Is here anyone who's done that in his car who I could bother with some questions related to this?
BarteXtreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28th, 2018, 20:09   #2
classicswede
Trader Volvo in my veins

If you only had a B230F I would say go with the swat to a B230FT or FK but the FB has advantages.

The FB has a better flowing 531 cylinder head, it also has a reasonable cam with the VX3

In your case adding a Turbo to what you have is likely to be a better prospect. You will have to limit the amount of boost unless you open the engine and machine the pistons down a little or open teh combustion chambers

You can break the M47 with the power you have if you try hard enough
classicswede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30th, 2018, 13:23   #3
TonyS9
Premier Member

The M47 should be fine with 200bhp, I'm running a B230FT at about that in my 360, but not drifting. In the 360 the drifters tend to break the diff output flanges.

Just make sure you have the Turbo petrol/diesel clutch, might be a different one for NA.

You also need to consider the Engine MGT. Do you know what you have now? The B230FT typically uses LH2.4 + BOSH EZK. You need the right flywheel with tbe EZK ignition pattern. I guess that it is already the right one, but you need to check.

Additional boost should get you to 200BHP near enough, but it is getting weak mixture above 13PSI or so, so maybe need bigger injectors or custom management.

You should have the option to use the M90 gearbox if you are really worried, not sure what other parts you might need, but you will probably find it just as cheap to buy a full 940 turbo (or classis etc) with the B230FT and M90.

Although you are really getting to the point of just finding a decent 940 HPT/LPT and selling yours.
TonyS9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6th, 2019, 12:36   #4
BarteXtreme

How about the B5254T?

I just got a really good offer on a I6 2.5T B5254T with complete wiring for around 350 euros it's running, got about 160k km
What do you guys think about this solution? Will the m90 gearbox fit?
What would I have to change on the car with such a setup?
Old Jan 6th, 2019, 14:25   #5
classicswede
Trader Volvo in my veins

Massive conversion. Bank on spending at least 2000 Euro on parts to make it fit. You need a lot of parts from a 960 and then modify them for the 5 cylinders
classicswede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6th, 2019, 15:19   #6
BarteXtreme

What parts do you mean?
My good friend is a fabricator and he would make all the mounts etc for me.
How about the m90? Would it fit without an adapter?
Old Jan 6th, 2019, 17:59   #7
TonyS9
Premier Member

Th B230FT is the last engine you will ever need. Its strong enough for 1000bhp (very minor mods needed), just matter of fuel and air.. and cooling. Very reliable.

I've seen a few fit the 5cyl in the 300 series and they always seem to break.
TonyS9 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
940, b230ft, drift, swap, turbo