Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Towing and Caravan Topics

Notices

Towing and Caravan Topics A forum for all towing/caravanning related topics

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

XC90 T8 2020 tow hitch weight

Views : 1143

Replies : 7

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 29th, 2020, 19:13   #1
f1005705

Default XC90 T8 2020 tow hitch weight

Help wanted. Anyone know the real tow hitch weight of a T8. Volvo web site says 110kg across all engines which seems really low. I have seen it also say 110kg for 7 seat version and 140kg for 5 seat. I agree that with passengers in the 3rd row could/would reduce load. I have also seen this statement and can’t make head nor tail of it “ When driving with a trailer, it is permitted to exceed the vehicle's gross vehicle weight (including towball load) by a maximum of 100 kg (220 lbs), provided that speed is limited to 100 km/h (62 mph). National legal requirements for the vehicle combination, such as speed, etc. must be observed“. It seems to suggest that if travelling at 60mph the tow hitch can take 210kg!!!!!. Any help as I’m getting nowhere.
f1005705 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2020, 19:38   #2
Jms153

I may be wrong but my take on trailer loading is you can be over the recommended gross load by 100kg as stated
The tow hitch loading Weight is the downward load at the tow ball, in your case 110kg, and should not be exceeded if possible as this will effect the stability and handling of the car
Eg. You can tow a caravan that weighs 1800kg but must be balanced to avoid undue weight on tow ball
Some cars recommend tow ball weights of about 70 to 90kg
Hope this makes thing a little clearer
Jms153 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2020, 19:58   #3
Whyman
Premier Member

My understanding from what you have said is that the total vehicle weight can be over the limit by 100kg not the towball load. I think this will remain at 110kg as you have said.

You must also look at the trailer as this will also have a maximum load and you must not exceed the lower of the two so if the trailer has a maximum towball load of 90kg then this is the maximum for the vehicle and trailer combination is 90 kg. Conversely if the trailer maximum load is 140kg then the load for the combination is 110kg
Old May 29th, 2020, 21:35   #4
f1005705

Hello, thank for the replies.

What I have found out is that Volvo seem to have lowered the tow hitch max weight from 140kg to 110kg across all engine types from 2020 This may be as they Are offering 7 seats across the Board.

Link here:

https://www.volvocars.com/lb/support...d-towball-load

This may have just scuppered me ordering one to tow. If anyone has any information to the contrary please let me know. Would be good if they offered a 5 seat as an option if this is the case.
Old May 29th, 2020, 23:25   #5
Jms153

Not sure what it is you are planning to be towing but going by the table you have given the XC90 T8 has a recommended braked towing capacity of 2400kg + 110kg towball load, Giving 2.5 tons plus your extra 100kg if you take it slow
You either have a very large caravan, boat or car trailer.
Jms153 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2020, 00:01   #6
f1005705

Hi the kerb weight is not an issue, it’s the tow hitch weight, it will be a Buccaneer and they are stating max 150kg on the hitch. I understand that 150kg is it’s maximum weight, however reading several forums it seems that 120kg to 130kg is where the Buccaneer is at as an achievable nose weight with payload and stable towing set up. I know proof is in the pudding and setups can vary but would expect an XC90 hitch capacity to be more than an XC60 at least!
Old Jun 5th, 2020, 14:30   #7
Adrian888

At the end of the day the max hitch or nose weight you need to take account of is the LOWEST of the car, hitch or caravan chassis MAX nose weight. if Buccaneer use Alko hitch and chassis it will be 100kg so the car nosweight limit - if higher - is irrelevant.
Adrian888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7th, 2020, 23:11   #8
37 RUBY
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrian888 View Post
At the end of the day the max hitch or nose weight you need to take account of is the LOWEST of the car, hitch or caravan chassis MAX nose weight. if Buccaneer use Alko hitch and chassis it will be 100kg so the car nosweight limit - if higher - is irrelevant.

Nooo, the Alko Aks3004 hitch as used by most caravan manufacturers is actually rated to 150kg.

https://www.alko-tech.com/uk/stabili...ing-akstm-3004

I'm sure Buccaneers have had a heavier nose weight since around 2015.

The 100kg limit relates to the A-frame capacity, again mostly an Alko item but there are numerous twin wheeler vans such as the Buccaneer that have an uprated A-frame to match the Alko hitch capacity coupled with the fact that even when they are empty of the users gubbins, ie MIRO only, these heavier vans exceed 100kgs anyhow.

To the OP, very frustrating, I've discounted quite a few vehicles in the past due to reduced towbar maximum noseweight, that said that's the price to pay when you tow such a huge tin tent.
Our own tin tent is an Elddis and if I put the 2nd gas bottle in, bingo we're over the car towbar limit, which is also an Alko item I might add.

Last edited by 37 RUBY; Jun 7th, 2020 at 23:46.
37 RUBY is offline   Reply With Quote