Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Adaptive cruise control is just too cool for cats

Views : 5256

Replies : 25

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 28th, 2009, 21:13   #11
Matt B

I like the sound of it, but wonder how it reacts if someone cuts you up, does it slam the anchors on if someone jumps into your "safe zone"?
Old Apr 29th, 2009, 09:10   #12
XC60Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt B View Post
I like the sound of it, but wonder how it reacts if someone cuts you up, does it slam the anchors on if someone jumps into your "safe zone"?
I didn't have any serious cut ups but when people pulled out in front of me it slowed me down pretty smoothly. It can only apply up to 30% of the braking force so presumably it can't do anything too drastic.

Last edited by XC60Owner; Apr 29th, 2009 at 09:12.
XC60Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29th, 2009, 09:12   #13
XC60Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by gillberry View Post
I have to say I was worried about it taking away driver concentration but then there are times when you get distracted and this system could save you and any others involved .
Exactly we got it for the auto brake not the cruise control. If you fail to notice a collision at high speed it will at least apply 30% of the brakes and just b4 collision pre-prepare brakes (moves pads closer to discs) airbags and seatbelts.
Old Apr 29th, 2009, 09:16   #14
XC60Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by steadvex View Post
I'd be highly shocked if they released a system into the 'wild' that slammed on brakes crazily if a bag floated infront of the car....

saying that i'd think it would make you less careful driver, but then before having a car with cruise control i always thought it was pointless, and I love it!

out of interest, does it work at low speeds, say 20mph? i know on mine you can only turn it on above 20, played with it constantly when the car was new! but didn't seem safe, adaptive cruise control in low speed areas sounds like a good idea to me, if someone runs out infront of the car will it stop for you?
Only works above a certain speed (30km I think). But next version due in few years I think will work from stand-still. i.e. you could do an entire journey without using the brake or accelerator. I think at the moment city safety (low speed auto braking) and auto-break (high speed auto braking) only work with large objects but I read future versions will detect pedestrians.
Old Apr 29th, 2009, 13:10   #15
GMcL
0's and 1's

Quote:
Originally Posted by XC60Owner View Post
... and auto-break ...
Is that one of the Freudian-slip things ?
My S60 started auto-breaking as soon as the manufacturers warranty expired.

Previous: 2005 Volvo S60 D5 Sport - 2017 Focus RS
GMcL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29th, 2009, 14:32   #16
XC60Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMcL View Post
Is that one of the Freudian-slip things ?
My S60 started auto-breaking as soon as the manufacturers warranty expired.
lol :-)
Old Apr 29th, 2009, 18:28   #17
SKH
SKH

I recently drove 1100 miles in a week on a trip to Yorkshire in my XC60, 650 of them towing my caravan with ACC set to 62mph on the motorway. It was easily the most relaxing drive ever.

As with ANY driving, you need to be aware and keep your wits about you but I would recomend this system to anyone if only because it makes driving much less tiring. The collision avoidence system is an added safety feature which, hopefully, I will never need but its nice to know its there anyway.

I have used ACC on lots of solo journeys as well and tried 'playing' with it following a motorbike recently. It still worked fine & modulated the speed to that of the bike. Having said that, I would not advise relying on it in those circumstances as I dont think it is really designed to follow anything smaller than a car.
SKH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30th, 2009, 21:49   #18
ianu
Premier Member

.. I had the chance to test this in a new Honda Legend on the M3 last year and it sold the idea to me (I thought it was just a gimmick).
Someone cut me up in the middle lane to cross to an exit and the car was on the brakes before I had even moved my right foot.
I didn't get the opportunity to try it out to any degree in the XC60 demo I had - but a bit like ventilated seats - it's definitely the future..!!

Cheers
Ian.
ianu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30th, 2009, 22:01   #19
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMcL View Post
Sounds great, only concern I have about such a system is how it reacts to the motorway central reservation supermarket carrier bag or plastic sheeting that gets blown into your path by the car in front ?
The camera only recognises and reacts to pre-defined vehicle shapes and nothing else not even human beings .. YET!
Old May 2nd, 2009, 13:53   #20
GMcL
0's and 1's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
The camera only recognises and reacts to pre-defined vehicle shapes and nothing else not even human beings .. YET!
Hmmm suppose it's like BLIS which has been in place for a number of years. Doesn't always recognise bikes but as filtering is only legal in the UK and France I wonder how many bikers have had to think twice around BLIS equipped cars ?

Previous: 2005 Volvo S60 D5 Sport - 2017 Focus RS
GMcL is offline   Reply With Quote