Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

D2 running issues - advice wanted

Views : 20285

Replies : 121

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 26th, 2011, 21:20   #51
faffi
Motorcyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Jackson View Post
i am at my wits end and only had the car 5 weeks
What about cold starts? Mine has always started right up, but it can run rough below 1600 rpm sometimes, as if it's only running on 3 cylinders.
faffi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26th, 2011, 21:26   #52
Clan
Experienced Member

A lot of these D2 running hesitation problems are caused by the system not adapting correctly , the first stage is see your dealer for an engine software upgrade , that is only the first step , Ask for their main technician, have a word with him about what is happening , remember if they hear the story first hand they have a much better idea of what you are suffering . They have quite a complicated proceedure to carry out if the hesitation is still there after the software upgrade .. And they should be aware of this and what to do ...
Old Sep 26th, 2011, 21:28   #53
faffi
Motorcyclist

Thanks, Clan! The national Volvo importer suggested I may try a more experienced dealer, but I expected they just load up the SW and that's all they can do. So this is useful information to me
Old Sep 26th, 2011, 21:57   #54
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by faffi View Post
Thanks, Clan! The national Volvo importer suggested I may try a more experienced dealer, but I expected they just load up the SW and that's all they can do. So this is useful information to me
A friend of mine had his done on his D4162T , The software helped but didnt fix 100% , he had the aftertreatment and it transformed the engine , There is a service bulletin he said .. ( in UK anyway )
Old Sep 28th, 2011, 18:27   #55
lcnar01
V50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
A lot of these D2 running hesitation problems are caused by the system not adapting correctly , the first stage is see your dealer for an engine software upgrade , that is only the first step , Ask for their main technician, have a word with him about what is happening , remember if they hear the story first hand they have a much better idea of what you are suffering . They have quite a complicated proceedure to carry out if the hesitation is still there after the software upgrade .. And they should be aware of this and what to do ...
Clan,
When was the software upgrade are you referring too issued? My D2 has just had an engine software upgrade which according to my dealer has only just been released. So far the running issues I have experienced since new (April) have not re-appeared and the car is better than it has ever been.
My dealer altered the previous software on Volvo's instructions to change the way it adapted to my driving, but with little success I'm afraid.
You've got me worried now that the problems will return as the system "adapts" to the latest software!
lcnar01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28th, 2011, 20:51   #56
Clan
Experienced Member

The upgrade has been around since earlier in the year but the thing with upgrades is when ordered and installed you always get the very latest additions the day you do your actual car .
Your upgrade has worked by the seem of it , the adaption processes have been tweeked no doubt but no one knows exactly what they contain .
If your problem comes back ( unlikely) there are further driving processes which can be carried out which help , but if you have had the very latest upgrade then this may not apply .
see how it goes ...
Old Sep 29th, 2011, 08:39   #57
faffi
Motorcyclist

I have noticed another thing over the past few days; if I let the clutch out with the car idling, as in not touching the throttle at all, revs will sometimes soar to 1200 rpm, at other times they will drop to just under 800 rpm. This is with the same, slow and smooth clutch engagement. Then, which I have noticed since I got it, the revs can (if a little low) climb back to 950 rpm smoothly or abruptly. Abruptly is annoying. Also, if revs are high (above 950 rpm) they will drop either smoothly or abruptly to engaged idle speed of 950 rpm.
Old Sep 29th, 2011, 18:30   #58
lcnar01
V50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
The upgrade has been around since earlier in the year but the thing with upgrades is when ordered and installed you always get the very latest additions the day you do your actual car .
Your upgrade has worked by the seem of it , the adaption processes have been tweeked no doubt but no one knows exactly what they contain .
If your problem comes back ( unlikely) there are further driving processes which can be carried out which help , but if you have had the very latest upgrade then this may not apply .
see how it goes ...
Clan,
Thanks for the info. I will, literally, see how it goes.
Old Sep 29th, 2011, 21:41   #59
Multiplex

The ECM was loosing the adaption for the injectors under certain driving conditions (short trips etc). The latest software holds the adaption parameters better.

If your car seems better every time its been in the dealer & the adaption process has been carried out however, it gets worse over a period of time then i would get them to check the injectors.
Multiplex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30th, 2011, 17:28   #60
lcnar01
V50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Multiplex View Post
The ECM was loosing the adaption for the injectors under certain driving conditions (short trips etc). The latest software holds the adaption parameters better.

If your car seems better every time its been in the dealer & the adaption process has been carried out however, it gets worse over a period of time then i would get them to check the injectors.
Thank you for that, I'll bear it in mind.