Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

XC60 D5 auxiliary belt failure

Views : 4197

Replies : 49

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 5th, 2024, 23:31   #31
Kev0607
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonefishblues View Post
Aux belt often doesn't take out the cambelt, as previous posts indicate. Inconvenient only.

I've never heard of a cambelt snapping on a D5. Have you or any others?

That discussion aside, wtaf is going on with these multiple failures at low mileage - again the first time I have heard of this. Tensioner issues?
I haven’t personally. I think the aux belt is more prone to fail, or the aux belt tensioner. Either of those derails the cam belt usually.

Its a very poor design. Belts should not be failing at such low mileage.
Old Apr 5th, 2024, 23:46   #32
Bonefishblues
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev0607 View Post
I haven’t personally. I think the aux belt is more prone to fail, or the aux belt tensioner. Either of those derails the cam belt usually.

Its a very poor design. Belts should not be failing at such low mileage.
Only once out of 5 breakages according to the two primary posters on the thread. Surprised me too, since I have been brought up on the notion that it's almost every time.

Something's badly amiss if there are low mileage breakages happening, but again I wonder how prevalent that is?
Bonefishblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5th, 2024, 23:56   #33
Kev0607
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonefishblues View Post
Only once out of 5 breakages according to the two primary posters on the thread. Surprised me too, since I have been brought up on the notion that it's almost every time.

Something's badly amiss if there are low mileage breakages happening, but again I wonder how prevalent that is?
I think the three belt design on the newer models was a stupid idea (timing belt, aux belt and a/c belt all next to each other). Space is limited in that area... a snapped belt has no where to go really, apart from tangle itself with another. The thicker 2 belt design was better (1 cam belt and 1 aux belt) on the older models.
If one of the belts simply snaps and doesn’t tangle with the others, that’s very lucky.

I’m not sure how often its happening. Luckily, we don’t see many posts on here. Although, not all Volvo owners will be on this forum. Maybe Dayco parts are no good? OE supplier to Volvo.
Old Apr 6th, 2024, 09:21   #34
Lancee
Premier Member

Might beg the question, why did Volvo move to a 3 belt system ? Was the 2 belt not up to the extra demands of stop/start "technology" ?
Lancee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6th, 2024, 12:01   #35
RDesign4Life
Master Member

Quote:
Maybe Dayco parts are no good? OE supplier to Volvo.
Does make me wonder if this is one occasion when the Forum stock advice of always use original Volvo parts is worthy of re-consideration in favour of a Gates aux belt?

These reinforced belts should really never fail catastrophically by simply snapping. They should really show visual signs and give fair warning before letting go out of the blue.
RDesign4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6th, 2024, 12:07   #36
Kev0607
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancee View Post
Might beg the question, why did Volvo move to a 3 belt system ? Was the 2 belt not up to the extra demands of stop/start "technology" ?
I'm not so sure why they did it.

Although, my car has 3 belts and doesn't have stop start! I think its a Ford thing, as the older models when Ford weren't involved (P2 chassis) didn't have 3 belts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDesign4Life View Post
Does make me wonder if this is one occasion when the Forum stock advice of always use original Volvo parts is worthy of re-consideration in favour of a Gates aux belt?

These reinforced belts should really never fail catastrophically by simply snapping. They should really show visual signs and give fair warning before letting go out of the blue.
Could be well worth considering. Gates and Contitech are good belt manufacturer's.
Old Apr 6th, 2024, 12:14   #37
RDesign4Life
Master Member

Quote:
my car has 3 belts and doesn't have stop start! I think its a Ford thing, as the older models when Ford weren't involved (P2 chassis) didn't have 3 belts.
Maybe Ford did it to save money on cars without aircon (one less belt) or maybe the change meant they could use aux and stretch belts on the D5 that they already produced and stocked from other Ford models at a lower cost.
Old Apr 6th, 2024, 12:39   #38
Kev0607
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDesign4Life View Post
Maybe Ford did it to save money on cars without aircon (one less belt) or maybe the change meant they could use aux and stretch belts on the D5 that they already produced and stocked from other Ford models at a lower cost.
That's likely it. I think cost cutting was a factor somewhere.
Old Apr 6th, 2024, 15:33   #39
GMcL
0's and 1's

Geely have had 14 years to change it if they thought it was an issue.

Previous: 2005 Volvo S60 D5 Sport - 2017 Focus RS
GMcL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6th, 2024, 18:46   #40
RDesign4Life
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMcL View Post
Geely have had 14 years to change it if they thought it was an issue.
Bit random. What on earth does that mean?

Edit - I see the context - Chinese owner of Volvo brand. Well which of these would you normally associate with Chinese companies?...

1. High quality products developed for longevity and and robustly tested to ensure reliability

or

2. Cheap mass produced products often copied designs and brought rapidly to market to achieve high volume sales.

Last edited by RDesign4Life; Apr 6th, 2024 at 18:57.

Tags
auxiliary belt, failure xc60