Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Heated Rear Window For Saloon 740GL 1988

Views : 1092

Replies : 5

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 20th, 2010, 15:14   #1
'88740GL

Exclamation Heated Rear Window For Saloon 740GL 1988

Hello everyone,

I've had my volvo for 4 months now, and has always had a cracked top to bottom rear window, the metal around the window mounts has corroded and blown out, cracking the inner half of the glass, and has broken the connection for the rear window heater. Quotes from autoglass and other known companies from yellow pages have quoted me between a whopping £340 - to £210 all inclusive including the callout charge.. I've removed the surround chrome trim and attempted to clean up this corroded metal, and would like to try and fit a new piece of glass myself..

Anyone know of a glass merchants/ scrap salvage or even someone in the Salford / Manchester / Bury / Bolton area who would have any stock at reasonable price?

Thank you!
'88740GL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20th, 2010, 17:55   #2
vjck_uk
Premier member

i would think your best bet is a breakers yard of if not a sheet of lexan and cut the shape out yourself,its will stand a shotgun at 10 paces but has a soft outer which scratches easy
vjck_uk is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to vjck_uk For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 20th, 2010, 20:30   #3
chris&julie

have you checked your insurance to see if you have glass cover most do you then let them know how a stone hit and broke it, pay a small amount nomally about £60 and it wont afect your no claims .just do the metal repair before you tell them.
chris&julie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20th, 2010, 20:56   #4
'88740GL

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris&julie View Post
have you checked your insurance to see if you have glass cover most do you then let them know how a stone hit and broke it, pay a small amount nomally about £60 and it wont afect your no claims .just do the metal repair before you tell them.
Hi, my insurance doesnt cover the glass, and the metal repair is too obvious, so i'll have to pass on that..maybe on my next cheaper insurance i will go for windscreen cover,

Thanks!
Old Sep 20th, 2010, 20:58   #5
'88740GL

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by vjck_uk View Post
i would think your best bet is a breakers yard of if not a sheet of lexan and cut the shape out yourself,its will stand a shotgun at 10 paces but has a soft outer which scratches easy
Breakers yard around where i live are completely useless, not un les you want chunks of plastic for renaults or peugeots.... i'll look into that lexan though..its plastic isnt it?
Old Sep 20th, 2010, 21:22   #6
Steve Curtis
super cruising 240

Its a bit far but.
http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=103877
Steve Curtis is offline   Reply With Quote