Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 140/164 Series General > 140/164 Series Wants
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

wanted -165 pref auto.

Views : 6161

Replies : 40

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 22nd, 2013, 14:05   #21
beachcomber550
Beachcomber

Quote:
Originally Posted by mylittletony View Post
There was a cheap early 245 on eBay until a few days ago, which could have front panels from a 164 grafted on. Converting a saloon to an estate sounds like an awful lot of work, plus untold hassle from dvla...

The amount of work you're talking about is several thousand pounds worth, is the road tax that bad?? How many years would you need of tax free to recoup the premium of a pre 74 car?
MLT - I hear what you're saying and I guess the work would cost £1000's - if I had to pay someone to do it.

Building speciality / one off cars has been my hobby for 55 years and my buisness for 35 years [ now retired ]. It's only the cost of the sheetmetal I'd be looking at.

As far as the DVLA is concerned it's a rebody [ partial ] and not subject to SVA testing and provided the work is professionally carried out to MOT standard - not an issue.

As far as premium for a '73 or earlier car, it's just a case of looking around, not ALL owners consider them to be "Classics".

In order to keep the tax free status - I would have to fit an estate back [ sheetmetal - NOT a cut and shut ] on a 164 saloon - doesn't fill me with dread - but is it worth it ?

I COULD live with a 164 saloon and a trailer, alternatively I need to abandon ideas of that georgeous front end and look for an early 140 series estate, and just work on that.

One of my hobby builds:

Current Project - redesigning chassis to take supercharged Jag V8: [ stock is straight 6 Jag ]

Last edited by beachcomber550; Dec 22nd, 2013 at 15:08. Reason: add pix
beachcomber550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22nd, 2013, 15:24   #22
222s
Amazoniste

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachcomber550 View Post
As far as the DVLA is concerned it's a rebody [ partial ] and not subject to SVA testing and provided the work is professionally carried out to MOT standard - not an issue.
That is correct for cars with a separate chassis, but not for monocoque vehicles. Sadly, doing such a conversion to create a 165 will definitely require a BIVA test to to the alterations to the monocoque, and also most likely result in a Q plate.

Paul - 1967 Amazon 222S B20 o/d Estate & 1961 A-H Sprite Mk2 948cc

WANTED - For '67 Amazon estate - offside rear quarter, preferably new old stock.
222s is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 222s For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 22nd, 2013, 17:20   #23
mylittletony
Master Member

As Paul says, modifying the monocoque is a huge no-no. Fitting different bolt-on wings and bonnet is fine!

So a good option could be a 140 estate with 164 front panels?

You clearly have some serious skills, (nice T btw ) so the labour shouldn't a problem!

Good luck in your search though!!
mylittletony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22nd, 2013, 18:43   #24
capt jack
VOC Member

What about this:

http://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C452379

And it already has a tow hitch!

Jack
capt jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23rd, 2013, 10:32   #25
beachcomber550
Beachcomber

Quote:
Originally Posted by 222s View Post
That is correct for cars with a separate chassis, but not for monocoque vehicles. Sadly, doing such a conversion to create a 165 will definitely require a BIVA test to to the alterations to the monocoque, and also most likely result in a Q plate.
Paul / MLT - I'm advocating a sheet metal swap - ie Front panel / grill and wings [ no doubt there will be slam panels etc ] - No alteration to monocoque - NO testing of any kind required, just an ability to pass an MOT.

So the MLT - 145 with 164 front sheet metal would be the simple way to go on the face of it. I'll have to have a good look at both and measure up. Windscreen / scuttle area could maybe pose a problem.

Last edited by beachcomber550; Dec 23rd, 2013 at 10:35. Reason: correct text
Old Dec 23rd, 2013, 11:02   #26
classicswede
Trader Volvo in my veins

The 164 is a longer wheelbase with the extended area being from the bulkhead to the front crossmember. This would make grafting the front panels on to a 140 a much harder task.

I'm sure Beachcomber550 will be able to build this within the limits of regulations by doing a little reading and thinking.
classicswede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23rd, 2013, 11:05   #27
classicswede
Trader Volvo in my veins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volvorama View Post
I understood that the 'original 165s were factory produced using a 164 front end and a 240 rear end. The latter rear suspension is far superior anyway.
I think you must be referring to the Australian built ones that were using part estate and part saloon kit.
classicswede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23rd, 2013, 12:35   #28
beachcomber550
Beachcomber

Quote:
Originally Posted by classicswede View Post
The 164 is a longer wheelbase with the extended area being from the bulkhead to the front crossmember. This would make grafting the front panels on to a 140 a much harder task.

I'm sure Beachcomber550 will be able to build this within the limits of regulations by doing a little reading and thinking.
I really am grateful for all the knowledgeable feedback ............ that longer wb [ front end ] could just prove the straw that breaks the project !

Capt Jack - that Gold saloon is georgeous - but doesn't come anywhere near my budget - although I'm sure worth every penny.

I may well have to resolve myself to looking whistfully at 164 /165s, whilst settling for my second choice - an early 1970 - '73 145.
Old Dec 23rd, 2013, 14:21   #29
capt jack
VOC Member

Quote:
I really am grateful for all the knowledgeable feedback ............ that longer wb [ front end ] could just prove the straw that breaks the project !

Capt Jack - that Gold saloon is georgeous - but doesn't come anywhere near my budget - although I'm sure worth every penny.

I may well have to resolve myself to looking whistfully at 164 /165s, whilst settling for my second choice - an early 1970 - '73 145.
Yes, the wheelbase of the 764 is about 4" more than the wheelbase of the 145, so in order to build a true 165 you'd have to lengthen the chassis.

However, I do wonder if at least the front panel from a 164 would fit straight onto the 145, so that at least you could have the 164 'look'! Then again, one of the reasons why the 164 is longer is to accommodate the bigger engine - being the B30 6 cylinder it'll be half as long again as the B18 / B20 fitted to the 145.

Having said all that, a lovely 145 is in no way a second-class car!

That gold one is for sale not far from me. At that price it's a bit OTT in my opinion - I reckon £2500 might be nearer the mark, but then any 'classic' is worth what it's worth to the eventual buyer.

I did suggest to SWMBO that we could ditch the newish Saab we have in favour of the gold 164 with an LPG conversion, but , well, as has been said before on here, somehow appreciating the beauty that a big, old, thirsty leviathan over the air-conditioned gadget-laden gizmos of a newer car is just not programmed into the DNA of the female of the species!

Heigh-ho!

Jack
capt jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23rd, 2013, 19:23   #30
222s
Amazoniste

Quote:
Paul / MLT - I'm advocating a sheet metal swap - ie Front panel / grill and wings [ no doubt there will be slam panels etc ] - No alteration to monocoque - NO testing of any kind required, just an ability to pass an MOT.

So the MLT - 145 with 164 front sheet metal would be the simple way to go on the face of it. I'll have to have a good look at both and measure up. Windscreen / scuttle area could maybe pose a problem.
Apologies - I thought at this stage you were still proposing to graft an estate rear panels onto a 164 (very annoying that the regs won't allow such a conversion).

As others have said, the 164 has a longer wheelbase, but I'm sure with a little ingenuity, 164 outer panels could be shortened to suit a 140 front end, if that is the look that you want

Paul - 1967 Amazon 222S B20 o/d Estate & 1961 A-H Sprite Mk2 948cc

WANTED - For '67 Amazon estate - offside rear quarter, preferably new old stock.
222s is offline   Reply With Quote