Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > AWD Discussion
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

AWD Discussion A forum dedicated to the AWD systems fitted to Volvo cars.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

850/V70 AWD - was there ever a manual option?

Views : 8168

Replies : 29

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 6th, 2014, 07:07   #11
scvolvo
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RollingThunder View Post
If its a genuine original spec manual, then yes, I'd say they are pretty rare. The R manual has an uprated box with a LSD as standard. A few people have converted autos to manual using a 2.5NA gearbox that doesn't have this LSD.

The manual R also has an 18T rather than the 16T turbo in the auto.

If it was a manual V70R with AWD then its even rarer. The AWD gives stunning traction but is a bit fragile.

All the same, I'd still recommend buying on condition - if its in a state then you were right to walk away as they aren't collectable in the way an 850R is collectable - yet.
You can manual convert with s60r 6sp and 06 plus angle gear and collar (300% stronger supposedly) they are definitely up rated items. Weak point would be your viscous coupling, they don't like launches.

Chap in the states has done the above on 450bhp ish.

54 left on the road.
scvolvo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to scvolvo For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 8th, 2014, 13:11   #12
RollingThunder
Grumpy Old Git

Quote:
Originally Posted by scvolvo View Post
You can manual convert with s60r 6sp and 06 plus angle gear and collar (300% stronger supposedly) they are definitely up rated items. Weak point would be your viscous coupling, they don't like launches.

Chap in the states has done the above on 450bhp ish.

54 left on the road.
My wallet so didn't want to hear that... but my heart started pounding!

Yup, if I cream cracker the autobox in my V70 AWD, I'll be doing a manual conversion - I'd previously only considered an 850 AWD as a gearbox source, but an S60R box??? Hmmmm
RollingThunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13th, 2014, 23:18   #13
740T
Master Member

I've had my manual p1 v70 awd now for 5 years, don't see me ever selling it.
740T is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 740T For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 14th, 2014, 12:48   #14
RollingThunder
Grumpy Old Git

A quick update - I 'had a moment' on ebay a few weeks ago and bought a V70R AWD manual gearbox and bevel box, just in case I hadn't seen a gearbox of that spec for sale before so after some pontification I nabbed it! I still plan on keeping the autobox if its working ok, but its handy to know that if the day does come, that I'll have the correct gearbox ready to drop in. I'll probably look at checking it all over and cleaning it up in the Spring, but in the meantime its well wrapped up - and because of where I live, well hidden lol.
The Following User Says Thank You to RollingThunder For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 29th, 2014, 01:10   #15
DaTowd

Hi,
I just joined and we have a silver 1997 850 AWD wagon with the 5 speed manual transmission.
I just love it.
When I bought it I called our Volvo supply place (Ed Schram Motors in Surrey, British Columbia Canada) and asked if they had a wagon for sale.
They said a good price when I asked what was wrong with they said nothing but it has a manual transmission
I'll take it I said
4 years later still enjoy it
cheers
Hank
DaTowd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24th, 2015, 21:22   #16
miltski

I've got a p1 manual V70R AWD 1997 I think so does that Make mine rare or just more likely to cost me money?
Old Feb 25th, 2015, 12:54   #17
RollingThunder
Grumpy Old Git

I've only seen one manual AWD but loads of autos - the catch is that few of them actually have working AWD lol. If you have a manual with working AWD then yes I'd say its pretty rare.

Is it going to cost you a lot? Not necessarily, just make sure you adhere to Volvo's recommendations about keeping tyre wear equal **across all 4 tyres**, not towing it, and if it starts to get noisy investigate and rectify it asap. Its usually just the UJs on the propshaft, and sometimes the centre bearing. Be warned the only place that I could find that can repair the prop fully is Bailey Morris, and it'll cost you around £500 for a full refurb. Thats why people just take it off and run in FWD lol.

If you let the prop degenerate, then the transmission shunt gets worse and it causes excessive wear on the bevel gears. It'll start to howl, the shunt will get worse etc. basically the longer you leave it the more expensive the repair will be.

I bit the bullet and got mine overhauled. The difference is instantly noticeable. The car feels heavier, has less acceleration and the steering is heavier. On the other hand, the torque steer has all but gone, and it tracks around corners very faithfully. Economy initially took a drop of around 1mpg, but after an ECU reset (battery disconnected for 30 mins) its come back up to the previous normal average of 24.8mpg. Mines an auto with 112k miles up, driven daily on a mix of motorway, A road and stop go city traffic (more stop than go)

HTH
Old Feb 25th, 2015, 20:18   #18
miltski

Quote:
Originally Posted by RollingThunder View Post
I've only seen one manual AWD but loads of autos - the catch is that few of them actually have working AWD lol. If you have a manual with working AWD then yes I'd say its pretty rare.

Is it going to cost you a lot? Not necessarily, just make sure you adhere to Volvo's recommendations about keeping tyre wear equal **across all 4 tyres**, not towing it, and if it starts to get noisy investigate and rectify it asap. Its usually just the UJs on the propshaft, and sometimes the centre bearing. Be warned the only place that I could find that can repair the prop fully is Bailey Morris, and it'll cost you around £500 for a full refurb. Thats why people just take it off and run in FWD lol.

If you let the prop degenerate, then the transmission shunt gets worse and it causes excessive wear on the bevel gears. It'll start to howl, the shunt will get worse etc. basically the longer you leave it the more expensive the repair will be.

I bit the bullet and got mine overhauled. The difference is instantly noticeable. The car feels heavier, has less acceleration and the steering is heavier. On the other hand, the torque steer has all but gone, and it tracks around corners very faithfully. Economy initially took a drop of around 1mpg, but after an ECU reset (battery disconnected for 30 mins) its come back up to the previous normal average of 24.8mpg. Mines an auto with 112k miles up, driven daily on a mix of motorway, A road and stop go city traffic (more stop than go)

HTH
That's just it, I've no prop so assume something went wrong, currently I'm trying to get hold of one to see if it's just the prop that went bad or anything else, car completely standard and the bolts for prop were in the car when I bought it so hopefully it only recently showed signs of the awd playing up? I really would like to get it all back as one if they are rare it would be good to own something a little special and 2 the wheels like to spin when boost hits so I might gain much needed traction!
Old Feb 28th, 2015, 23:49   #19
Darth Vol
Exploring Europe

Wink

Mine is manual with lot of modifications

See thread link below in signature
Old Mar 3rd, 2015, 17:32   #20
scvolvo
Premier Member

I broke a manual v70r p1 awd a few years back as I needed parts for the lazer p1 ph3

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1542415576082157/
https://m.facebook.com/swedishevents/
scvolvo is offline   Reply With Quote