Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

XC60 Over the Weekend

Views : 1441

Replies : 8

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 28th, 2009, 14:50   #1
ak888

Default XC60 Over the Weekend

Picked up the new XC60 over the weekend. Its a Savile Grey SE Lux Premium (D5 Geartronic) with the yellow/black interior (!!). Options I picked were Mantus alloys, tempa spare wheel, BLIS, Panoramic Sunroof, Front and Rear Park Sensors, Reversing Camera, High Perf Sound, Family Pack, Tinted Rear Windows, Rear Center Armrest and PCC. Dealer accessories added are running boards and front and rear muflaps.

As I live in E London, had to trek across London to pick up from Reading. Only a couple of flies in the ointment in the day. The dealer couldn't fit the running boards in time due to an incorrect tool by Volvo. Dealer offered to delay the pickup (no way!) or pick up car during the week, install the running boards, and return the car. Offered to drive over myself and wait a couple of hours and drive back instead - need to arrange a time now.

Also noticed that there was no remote control for the Sat Nav - need to query dealer about that when I have the running boards fitted.

Anyway - spent the weekend in the car and its great. Not as fast as previous car (Audi A3 Sporback 2.0T DSG) or cornering as flat but as expected as it is a high sided car with comfort in mind and it is a very comfortable car - very refined. The engine needs running in and obviously the sound isnt as smooth as petrol when accelerating at motorway speeds.

Interior Colour - Very much acquired taste and not seen a lot of people picking this scheme, but we wanted something different and cream was not in the equation with kids. Yellow is not that bright and we think it works well!
BLIS - Works as expected but luckily not had to find out the hard way!
Reverse Camera - Its brilliant, love the guidelines and the picture quality is good even late at night and in the underground car park.
Sunroof - I love it for the fresh air and light. Kids getting used to it.
Parking Sensors - Skeptical at first about the fronts and maybe having to switch it off for normal driving in case it beeps in traffic etc, but not a peep so for normal driving its fine.
Hige Perf Sound - can't compare it with those with the DynAudio, but for my puposes its good enough, and the iPod and USB works very well - still trying to get used to it though.
Booster seats (Family Pack) - Kids love it with the rear center armrest.
Sat Nav - Having seen the graphics and comparing it to the offerings from Audi and BMW, was pleasantly surprised how well it works and love the split screen when approaching roundabouts or turnings. The control methods didn't sound that effective but having used it I think it actually works well.
PCC - So far its been very good having the keyless entry - makes carrying a load, watching out for the kids and opening doors at the same time very easy. Only thing I am trying to get used to is switching off the car as the engine at idle is very quiet and a couple of times I had the warning sound as I opened the door to leave and the ignition was still on.
Bluetooth - I have an ancient Sony Ericsson but this works very very well. The phone book syncs, calls received and dialled out fine. Impressive how the phone book is navigatable on the console and how caller id works.

Nitpicking - the dash lighting at night seems to be ambient light and not back lit say like an Audi/VW or Lexus - so not as sharp. But that is nitpicking.

Still need to trawl through the menu and programmable settings to get things set up how I like and to wait and arrange to get the running boards installed - kids (6 and 3) finding it a bit high to clamber in and out.

So with the exception of trying to sort out the final bits and pieces with the dealer - its been a great weekend!
ak888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28th, 2009, 15:46   #2
NewVolvo
VOC Member

Congrats on your new car!

Please let us have pictures......
1987 780 Bertone
Lots of previous Volvo's
NewVolvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28th, 2009, 16:08   #3
dodgyken
Master Member

I agree about the Sat-Nav - when you first use it you think "this is wrong, this won't make my life easier" - but once you figure out the process it is slick and easy to use.

The only feature I would take from the Audi/VW/SEAT sat-nav is the dynamic scaling on current-to-destination map.

Glad you like your new car
dodgyken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29th, 2009, 09:16   #4
ak888

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewVolvo View Post
Congrats on your new car!

Please let us have pictures......
Once I have the running boards installed and the car is 'complete' I try and get some pictures up - need to think of new picture compositions after some of the great pictures from your car!
The Following User Says Thank You to ak888 For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 29th, 2009, 13:09   #5
wimorrison
Grumpy Old Sod

I think that you have got the car that I am waiting upon being delivered

I have bneen waiting for 8 weeks now and still have 2 to go - seems like forever, but as my spec is almost the same it is good to know that you are enjoying it.

I have yet to see a single XC60 of any spec or colour on the road yet, but I know that when I pick mine up I will see 6 in the first mile of driving

Iain
wimorrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29th, 2009, 14:10   #6
ak888

Quote:
Originally Posted by wimorrison View Post
I think that you have got the car that I am waiting upon being delivered

I have bneen waiting for 8 weeks now and still have 2 to go - seems like forever, but as my spec is almost the same it is good to know that you are enjoying it.

I have yet to see a single XC60 of any spec or colour on the road yet, but I know that when I pick mine up I will see 6 in the first mile of driving

Iain
Thats true about seeing another XC60 - been waiting nearly 10 weeks, andi n that time I only seen 3 on the road. Waiting was quite hard - like a kid waiting for Christmas! But while you are waiting, have you perused the manual from the Volvo website? Theres a PDF of the quick start guide and the owners manual - might as well give yourself a headsup if you haven't seen it. It certainly helped me as there was a lot to take in when I was driving off from the dealer. Trying to get the temp right on the air con (setting the recirculation, direction etc), then trying to get the kids music up on the ipod and trying to navigate on the sat nav all at the same time! Unfortunately theres no sat nav guide.

As to seeing more when driving - I did spot two after picking mine up!
Old Sep 29th, 2009, 14:42   #7
NewVolvo
VOC Member

I see another Black one daily as well as a funky blue/green one almost daily just by driving to/from the office.

Did see a silver one today too.

Have also seen a dark red metallic, dark blue and an ice white one.
1987 780 Bertone
Lots of previous Volvo's
NewVolvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30th, 2009, 12:08   #8
wimorrison
Grumpy Old Sod

Quote:
Originally Posted by ak888 View Post
But while you are waiting, have you perused the manual from the Volvo website? Theres a PDF of the quick start guide and the owners manual - might as well give yourself a headsup if you haven't seen it.
Have you got the url for the documents? I can't seem to locate that link

Iain
wimorrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30th, 2009, 12:39   #9
ak888

Here you go

Owners Manual and Quick Start Guide

Also contains video demo of some of the functionality of the features.
The Following User Says Thank You to ak888 For This Useful Post: