Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

New member with XC60

Views : 1503

Replies : 9

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 28th, 2009, 22:27   #1
DavidG

Default New member with XC60

As a new member let me say hello to everyone and thank those of you who have helped me end up choosing an XC60 with your favourable comments on the car over the last few months.
Having had a BMW 3 series touring for the last two years I had finally had enough of the uncomfortable ride what with the hard suspension, runflat tyre and bad roads combination, plus the image wasnt quite what I wanted.
So spent a long time looking at a replacement in the SUV category, looked at and test drove all the competition,not one of them came close to the Volvo for the quality I wanted.In fact some were surprisingly poor.
I placed my order back in June with my local dealer in Eastbourne having got an extraordinary deal including the 3 year free servicing and a good trade in value.
Took delivery in July of a XC60 2.4 S Geartronic, Black with beige leather,
with a few options including laminated glass, folding mirrors, parking sensors.
What a car, I can only say it has exceeded my expectations, it is comfortable, good looking, easy to drive, a great driving position and the gearbox is superb, this is my first automatic and only wish I had done it years ago, fuel economy is very good for a automatic car of this size, have just returned from 1500 miles in France and Switzerland ,fuel economy was 40 mpg overall.
The car has just been in for the 3000 mile Quality inspection with a nice surprise on collection -the dealer had also cleaned and valeted the car-an unexpected service.
With a few miles now on it the engine runs beautifully ,there is a lot of power available when you need it, in fact you sometimes have a shock when you look at the speedometer as it is very quiet at speed. OK you know it is a diesel at times but the engine just has that something about it that makes you love driving it.
The electric parking brake is not a problem at all, in fact it makes handbrakes almost antique as it is effortless to use once you get used to it.
If I was going to criticise one item it would be the lighting switch panel, it could be a bit larger as some of the smaller switches are very close together
Otherwise a great car and anyone thinking about one go and have a test drive,you wil not regret it.
David
DavidG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14th, 2009, 13:53   #2
andy.cass
Kendo

Well done on your purchase. I too have just chopped in my 3 series touring for similar reasons. Just a comment on the light switch - it's pointless as you can't turn the things off!

11.5My XC60 D5 SE Lux Premium, Geartronic, Savile Grey, Black Leather, Heated Seats, Prem Audio with Sub, tow bar.
10MY 2009 XC60 D5 SE Lux Auto
2008 Mini Cooper
andy.cass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14th, 2009, 17:48   #3
Pebble

I agree about the light switch panel ... too small and poor location. Not easy to switch fog lights on or see if they are on.

But as you say no real need to use it very much ... so hey ho. However I am still trying to get used to the 'hand brake' - embarassingly I have stalled the car a few times in a queue of traffic going up hill - but my kids were amused! but am gradually getting used to it - very easy when I use it properly (enough revs.)
Old Oct 14th, 2009, 21:45   #4
Foringo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pebble View Post
I agree about the light switch panel ... too small and poor location. Not easy to switch fog lights on or see if they are on.

But as you say no real need to use it very much ... so hey ho. However I am still trying to get used to the 'hand brake' - embarassingly I have stalled the car a few times in a queue of traffic going up hill - but my kids were amused! but am gradually getting used to it - very easy when I use it properly (enough revs.)
Still waiting (impatiently) for a firm delivery date for my XC60....but interested to note your comment about the fog lights as it sounds similar to the problem on my current Audi A4 (latest version). I can't remember noticing how they were configured on the XC60 during the test drive but I find on the Audi that the warning lights are masked by the steering wheel rim....these would probably be ok in a left-hand drive car, but Audi just didn't want to go to the expense of making a handed switch panel. I was hoping that the Volvo would have a couple of idiot lights in main dash display..but it's not a major issue.
Foringo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14th, 2009, 22:12   #5
Pitvar

We're trading an E90 MSport [07 reg] for the XC90 the ride is crippling with 17 or 18 runflats so looking forward to the volvo. Our other car is a 57 E91 MSport which is far better [must've tweaked the suspension settings I think] but still poor on anything but a very good surface. The other benefit is tyre cost [£290 per rear runflat!] and not having to write off a runflat with 7mm tread cos of a puncture!

We get the XC90 this weekend and I'm really tempted to see if we can get a deal on an XC60 to swap the other BMW whilst these offers are on !
Pitvar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15th, 2009, 15:11   #6
Pebble

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foringo View Post
I can't remember noticing how they were configured on the XC60 during the test drive but I find on the Audi that the warning lights are masked by the steering wheel rim....these would probably be ok in a left-hand drive car, but Audi just didn't want to go to the expense of making a handed switch panel. I was hoping that the Volvo would have a couple of idiot lights in main dash display..but it's not a major issue.
Yes I was surprised that there was no warning light in the main display panel for the fog lights ... I can't easily see the light switch panel and the small green light on the switch that indicates the fog lights are on can't easily be seen behind the steering wheel. Previous car had all light controls on the indicator stork with a clear indication in the display panel ... Any way this is a much better car so I can easily live with this and will no doubt get used to it.
Old Oct 16th, 2009, 03:08   #7
dj898

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidG View Post
As a new member let me say hello to everyone and thank those of you who have helped me end up choosing an XC60 with your favourable comments on the car over the last few months...
David
Good choice!
When I was out for shopping missus's new vehicle after lengthy search I settled on XC 60 which was launched here in Down Under not so long ago. As it will be used primarily for taking our kids to and from school the safety was the big factor. Also having driven Volvo vehicle since 2002 she was more than happy to pick up another Volvo.

We ordered one thru our local dealer to the factory in Sweden and it took just over two months before it was delivered to our home by the dealer. The vehicle came with free three years roadside assistance & service as part of package but our dealer worked out the corporate package deal which extend that to five years. By the way this is the same deal we worked out with her previous Volvo vehicle. We also chose Volvo Insurance as its quoted price was lowest that we could find even including the extended factory warranty.

Was told that our vehicle was built to next year model specification since it was built after July and as such I was able to work out with Volvo to have the RES installed as the dealer option. If I believe what the service centre has told me this would be the first time RES was installed in XC 60 in Australia. By the way the model she chosen was T6 AWD as she hates the diesel and after the test drive I had to agree with her. For a vehicle close to 2 ton the diesel engine was simply not up to the task. As she ticked pretty much all the options in the long list of option the option alone cost me bomb but then again it's for our family so I just swalled and foot the bill including trading in my V8 Jag...

And as another new member let me say hello to everyone! ^ ^
dj898 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16th, 2009, 09:16   #8
error-id10t

Good choices all-around. We have the T6 also and can't recommended it enough. First drove the diesel for testing and though good, we felt it wasn't enough compared to the T6.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dj898 View Post
RES installed as the dealer option
What's RES?
error-id10t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16th, 2009, 09:39   #9
NewVolvo
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by error-id10t View Post

What's RES?
Rear Entertainment System?
1987 780 Bertone
Lots of previous Volvo's
NewVolvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16th, 2009, 14:24   #10
dj898

Yes. Rear Entertaintment System for XC 60.
it was announced for next year model option but since I know they have necessary parts already in their inventory I managed worked out with them to have it installed.
dj898 is offline   Reply With Quote