Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Opinions on xc60 or BMW 5 touring

Views : 4352

Replies : 11

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 4th, 2009, 00:58   #1
Teejay1
Master Member

Default Opinions on xc60 or BMW 5 touring

My good lady and I are looking to get a new car in time for our traveling season beginning April 2010.

I would expect many people here have had one or the other and would appreciate some opinions to compare real world experience versus dealer comments. I was really surprised how the we were treated at BMW especially driving up in a '54 Xara Picasso.
Teejay1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4th, 2009, 07:05   #2
bignose

how did they treat you ?

mike
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tanhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time like tears in rain. Time to die."
bignose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4th, 2009, 07:50   #3
Tigger,Eeyore&Roo
"T, I, double Grr, Err."

It would be very helpful to know which engines you are considering and if the XC60 would be either the front wheel drive or four wheel drive version.

Are you aware that the 5 Series is due to be replaced by the time you're looking to buy?

Tigger.

Last edited by Tigger,Eeyore&Roo; Oct 4th, 2009 at 07:52.
Tigger,Eeyore&Roo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4th, 2009, 09:44   #4
Teejay1
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigger,Eeyore&Roo View Post
It would be very helpful to know which engines you are considering and if the XC60 would be either the front wheel drive or four wheel drive version.

Are you aware that the 5 Series is due to be replaced by the time you're looking to buy?

Tigger.
I was treated rather well. Thought I would have been ignored like we were at the Audi garage.

First let me tell you the tale of how we came to this point. Sitting in a cafe Jane, (my wife), asked me "if there was any car you would like what would it be" I said "Volvo, Subaru or or Discovery, there may have been others but these spring to mind. However, after seeing the Subaru it was quickly discarded since we didn't like it. We take the car "off road" not major mug plugging but the hobbies that we pursue tend to be based around farmers fields, dirt tracks for access public parks, mainly off the beaten track but not too far as to need a winch. The Discovery although a nice vehicle if too much over the top for what we need. So baring in mind the current car is a Xara Picasso diesel most cars that we are looking to move to have everthing we could want and more.

My wife has decided that she no longer wants to have a numb bum when travelling from Newcastle to North Wales several times a year. We only really drive about 12K/year, but comfort and safety are the main priorities.

Yesterday looking at the BMW the TCO seemd less than I had thought although I've not looked at in great detail yet.

Anyway, XC would be a 2.4 Drive SE or SE Lux although the Lux has equipment that we would not really need I'm sure that I would use it though.

BMW I was looking at was the 520d, and know I didn't know they were planning a replacement. I know the GT is coming and the new 5 is based on that.

I think laying out what I've written here I seem to have answered my own question. Anyway sorry for the long post I.
Teejay1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4th, 2009, 10:34   #5
wimorrison
Grumpy Old Sod

Have you considered the v70 - i have just got rid of mine for an XC60 after 5.5 very happy years. Superb car for long journeys and a cavernous load capacity with very good fuel consumption. When I compared it to the 520 5 years ago the v70 won hands down.

Now after that, remind me why I sold it .....?
wimorrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4th, 2009, 10:47   #6
Foringo

When I bought my current A4 a couple of years ago I was reasonably satisfied with the Audi Dealership and managed to get a fair discount considering the car had just be introduced and it matched a broker quote. It has been a great car to drive but over time, I’ve regretted the choice to go for a saloon as it’s not as practical as I really needed & I fancied something less like a rep-mobile Anyway I went back to the same Dealership with the intention of evaluating the Q5 as a replacement, however their Customer relations seem to have deteriorated. They didn’t answer emails and when I eventually had a test drive they appeared to almost take it for granted that I would place an order. The senior manager even put his arm on my shoulder as he explained that due to high demand that there was very little he could do on the price but he would guarantee that they would carry the cost of any difference in VAT during the delivery period….big deal! The closer I looked at the Volvo XC60 the more impressed I become and thought it a better all-round car than the Q5 The attitude of my local Volvo dealership couldn’t have been more different…very helpful, no pressure, long solo test drive and a great deal! I just can’t wait until I take delivery in a couple of weeks or so.
Foringo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4th, 2009, 12:18   #7
Gramayr

My old neighbour bought a brand new Audi but not from the local dealership - he said they were unhelpful, didn't take any interest in him and when he asked for their best price he was unimpressed. Ironically he used to be the manager of an Audi dealership down south which he rung up and got a very good deal from. Returning to the York dealership he presented them with a difference of nearly 4K from their price.. They tried to negotiate but he said 'I asked you or your best price, you gave it so I've gone elsewhere - you had your chance and blew it'. Told me he wouldn't go there anymore..

For a (very) short time I was the BMW Car Club's rep for the York dealership (since left the club). I've always found the BMW dealership very helpful and friendly. Not having ever bought anything new myself I've heard good reports from others. As a club we filled the Leeds dealership with our cars on the opening of thir new premises and were made very welcome. The manager (Kim) was a great chap. The parts dept of the York branch are very helpful - I've bought ATF fluid from them and was a bit short so they passed me their trolley and pump with a large 'keg' of fluid on and was told to use whatever I needed to top up my car.

Only visited the local Volvo dealership once but they seamed very friendly and helpful - the sales department lad was full of advice and great to get on with.

As for driving I can only briefly comment on the BMW. I've driven an X5 off-road (at Rockingham's off road track when I was invited to test drive the new 3 series a few years ago). The descent control works very well and the car drove very well in tight technical sections with mud up to the axles. It was nice driving a car with all the extras on in a situation where you wouldn't dream of taking your own lol. Don't think about the X3 - I know a few that've bought them and got rid shortly after..

Fancied a Disco for a while but was put off with reliability and tin worm.

Audi's feel too cramped inside (the ones I've sat in do anyway), the big Volvo's do look nice and I've chatted to a few people who drive them and they like them (one was a vet). So that's my small contribution.

If you need any info on the X5 from other owners etc. then drop by here. It used to be the official BMW recognised forum of the BMWCarClubGB (till politics made us split from the club). It still has all the archived posts from then as well.
Old Oct 4th, 2009, 19:29   #8
Tigger,Eeyore&Roo
"T, I, double Grr, Err."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teejay1 View Post
I was treated rather well. Thought I would have been ignored like we were at the Audi garage.

First let me tell you the tale of how we came to this point. Sitting in a cafe Jane, (my wife), asked me "if there was any car you would like what would it be" I said "Volvo, Subaru or or Discovery, there may have been others but these spring to mind. However, after seeing the Subaru it was quickly discarded since we didn't like it. We take the car "off road" not major mug plugging but the hobbies that we pursue tend to be based around farmers fields, dirt tracks for access public parks, mainly off the beaten track but not too far as to need a winch. The Discovery although a nice vehicle if too much over the top for what we need. So baring in mind the current car is a Xara Picasso diesel most cars that we are looking to move to have everthing we could want and more.

My wife has decided that she no longer wants to have a numb bum when travelling from Newcastle to North Wales several times a year. We only really drive about 12K/year, but comfort and safety are the main priorities.

Yesterday looking at the BMW the TCO seemd less than I had thought although I've not looked at in great detail yet.

Anyway, XC would be a 2.4 Drive SE or SE Lux although the Lux has equipment that we would not really need I'm sure that I would use it though.

BMW I was looking at was the 520d, and know I didn't know they were planning a replacement. I know the GT is coming and the new 5 is based on that.

I think laying out what I've written here I seem to have answered my own question. Anyway sorry for the long post I.
I have not driven the XC60, but have owned V70's with a very similar 2.4D / D5 engine for the last 6 years / 200-250,000 ish miles and have also driven the 520d.

I can say that the 2.4D / D5 engines are powerful, light, reliable, with a good spread of torque and they are very charasmatic. As you mentioned safety, the XC60 has one of the highest scores ever achieved at Euroncap. http://www.euroncap.com/tests/volvo/xc60.aspx

The 520d is a well made and well finished with a very smooth and quiet diesel engine producing very low CO2 levels. However, it feels very bulky for a car in that class (a bit like driving an old Ford Scorpio!) and the diesel feels completely overwhelmed by the amount of weight it has to haul. The 5 Series could make a nice car, but it needs a bigger diesel engine to work properly. In addition, the Euroncap scores for the current 5 Series are now lagging behind competitors. http://www.euroncap.com/tests/bmw/5_series.aspx

I'd go the XC60 route.

Last edited by Tigger,Eeyore&Roo; Oct 4th, 2009 at 19:31.
Tigger,Eeyore&Roo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tigger,Eeyore&Roo For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 7th, 2009, 02:24   #9
Gravy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teejay1 View Post
My good lady and I are looking to get a new car in time for our traveling season beginning April 2010.

I would expect many people here have had one or the other and would appreciate some opinions to compare real world experience versus dealer comments. I was really surprised how the we were treated at BMW especially driving up in a '54 Xara Picasso.

Ive just jumped from BMW X5 ownership. If you want all the good, the bad and the ugly follow this link http://www.xoutpost.com/forums.html.

Leave you to form your own opinions.

Gravy
Gravy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10th, 2009, 14:28   #10
Manic-me

We test drove the 520d Touring, A6 avant 2.0Tdi & the V70 2.0d. We discounted the A6 intially and were leaning towards the V70 mainly because we preferred the interior, the boot space was massive, which as we have a family, is important and finally because a new one was in reach with the scrappage + volvo deals.
A couple of weeks later we drove the 2.4D V70 and the XC60. We then ordered the XC60 Drove S 2.4d. Took delivery last week :-)

Acordong to my wife there were two cars that put a smile on my face during the test drive the 520d and the XC60. We also preferred the interior in the XC60, the driving position and the softer ride - space looked slightly bigger also.

..MM
Manic-me is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Manic-me For This Useful Post: