Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

850 2.0 or T5 Estate - Sensible or Fun?

Views : 1216

Replies : 17

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 22nd, 2004, 19:59   #11
eddie69
Eddie69

Default RE: 850 2.0 or T5 Estate - Sensible or Fun?

Personnaly i own an 850 T5, I drive a V70 T5 at work, if it were a choice between either I would have the 850 any day, if your after fun votes 850 is great, if you have family votes (with pets) you would be happy with the V70.

Eddie
850 T5
eddie69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22nd, 2004, 21:09   #12
BJ
BJ

Ive been reading this line 850 estate good solid car 20lt I would say under powered - 2.5lt GLT 170bhp ok I had the auto lovley car. could not find a T5 so I got a 850R same power as a T5 but more disirable (65k full history, N reg paid £6500 in April) but if you go for one of these T5,s - R,s, have fun and FORGET the petrol as I can not keep mine over 20 per gallon - the wife can. I say buy the T5 have fun keep safe.

BJ

850R
BJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23rd, 2004, 23:34   #13
Big D

Thanks guys for all the comments.

It seems that this thread has provoked quite some interest. I have driven the 2.0 850 estate and it does seem....hmmm, relaxed. Not really sure it would be the car for me if I want to press on in my travels, whether in lanes or on M-ways and I do like to have the option to feel some shove in the back of the seat. I must admit though that c20mpg is a little scary - but understandable given the T5's 240bhp and bulk.

I guess it's the price of having a fast sizable estate. Will look at the other engines mentioned as alternatives, but I think if I did buy something other than a T5, I would be left with a slightly hollow feeling that maybe I should have bought one, especially everytime one passed me!! Does that make sense?

Conversely, does anyone know someone who has bought a T5, then regretted buying it - feeling that they should have bought a smaller engined Volvo estate instead?

Rgds,

Big D
Old Nov 24th, 2004, 08:36   #14
sarge
Master Member

"but I think if I did buy something other than a T5, I would be left with a slightly hollow feeling that maybe I should have bought one, especially everytime one passed me!! Does that make sense?"

Yes. In the nice dry conditions of summer I used to think 'maybe I should have gone for a T5' but in the snow and the wet I'm glad I bought the AWD. Now I've had it chipped I reckon I have the best of both worlds! T5s can return 30+ mpg, it depends how you drive it. I was really miffed to discover that my Dad was getting much better mpg from his T5 (manual) than I was from the 2.4T engine in the AWD (also manual). The 2.4T is no snail and it has loads of torque, it just isn't quite as explosive as the T5.

Sarge
'99 V70 AWD
sarge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24th, 2004, 08:39   #15
Simon Linton
850/70 Register Keeper

With the exception of Jack Cluer, everyone I have ever spoken to who has purchased a 2.0 850 has regretted the choice - the car was originally designed as company car "tax break" model during the period when engine size dictated the taxable value of the car and is frankly under-engined as Volvo salesmen at the time cheerfully conceded.

There are NO tuning mods available for the 2.0 engine either; odd since that was the size of the BTCC vehicle that launched Volvo's sporting efforts, but then the engine had no commonality with the road version, so I suppose that's understandable.

We've all bemoaned poor fuel consumption but waxed enthusiastic about superb performance - one follows the other, so we shouldn't grumble (1.5 tonnes going at 100mph+ is not a cheap way to travel).

850s are a cheap as chips especially if you get a saloon - a R saloon (if you can find one) will be below £5000 and an estate not much more; high insurance costs and the aforementioned fuel costs all make it unattractive to non-enthusiasts.

The 2.5 20V cars are the best compromise between performance, low insurance costs and reasonable fuel bills and are available in a wide range of trim types - T5s will demand a small purchase premium, but a large insurance premium hike.
Simon Linton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24th, 2004, 09:05   #16
mraldonnelly

"The 2.5 20V cars are the best compromise between performance, low insurance costs and reasonable fuel bills and are available in a wide range of trim types - T5s will demand a small purchase premium, but a large insurance premium hike."

True, although when you compare the insurance cost of a T5 against some other similar or lesser performing vehicles it's actually quite reasonable.

What other car offers so much performance, comfort, fun and safety and is placed in insurance group 16? Not many, if any at all!

I owned a 2 litre 20 valve GLT. Wonderful car. Comfortable, smooth, reliable and safe. Just not fast enough. I've got a T5 now. Pure fun.

The fuel economy I achieved is similar for both vehicles and the T5 is actually better if driven sensibly. However, it is seriously difficult to resist the temptation of planting your right foot whenever the opportunity arises.

Go for the T5 - you WILL regret a 2 litre 20 valve.

Regards

Andy
Old Nov 24th, 2004, 09:49   #17
cootuk
Premier Member

I bought an 850 2.5l 10v.
The performance is ok for tootling around town (80% of my driving)and the load space is superb. Before I found these forums I thought the T5 would be too fuel heavy and that the 10v would be a bit more economical.
After living with it for a couple of years I still think it is a good car as I would rarely get to use the performance of a T5.
Fuel economy wise the T5 can be as good as the 10v if you don't push it, as no large heavy 850 (apart from diesel) will be superb.

If I had my choice again then I think I might be temped into the diesel.
cootuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24th, 2004, 12:26   #18
big h

If it's within your price range maybe this is worth a look?

http://www.volvoclub.org.uk/dc/dcboa...ode=full&page=
RICA ECU upgrade, IPD Grille, C70 Clear h/ligthts, Dynaudio speaker upgrade, Powerflex top mount, F1 filter, OEM strut brace, blue tints, 18" Pegasus, Goodyear F1's. VST lip, Blackthorn Performance CAT, 4" S/steel exhaust
big h is offline   Reply With Quote