Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Look what I bought!

Views : 15294

Replies : 141

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 15th, 2011, 23:19   #121
andy_d
Premier Member

that estate ,, no Too tempting. 4 people And a dropped rear seat for all the luggage,,nooo cant look too tempting.

Brian
nicely done on the award, cant think why we'd take the p for winning the best under 30years open class.
The Following User Says Thank You to andy_d For This Useful Post:
Old May 16th, 2011, 22:09   #122
minesa240x3
loyalty

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneCarefulOwner View Post
Hi, i've been directed here by Paul240480 as he's put the idea of owning a limo in my head! I'm currently following a 740 on FleaBay and feeling more and more like I want it with every passing moment - I have tentatively bid but someone outbid my initial cheap attempt...

After reading all of this thread I've still not been put off, and I've learned a few things to watch out for, so I think I may have to seriously recalculate my budget & make a sensible offer before it expire! Thanks for the inspiration.
Well Mr "one careful owner"I just watched a 740 Limo finish on the bay.Was it the one you wanted I wonder?
It was a 1989 G reg 2.3L auto.
It was slow to start on the bidding but moved a bit towards the end.
I can't beleave just how cheap they are going for at the moment.It finally went for £493.93 and had 13 Bids.
That doesn't include an mot but the seller will mot it and pay for any costs for an extra £150 on top.Quite reasonable I think.

Theres another one with a fixed price and thats just under £500 but does backfire a bit.Nothing seriouse about that Just needs a little fettling.
Anyway good luck with the hunt if this wasn't the one.
There are some nice cars up on the bay at the moment:Two 940 estates Black.One 240 Saloon BLACK.and a couple of 960 limo's one is a pair with a hearse.
If everyone keeps buying limo's we will have to have a seperate class in the BKV?
Regards Brian.
4459 views.
minesa240x3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2011, 22:19   #123
brodgar
I've Been Banned

Default hearse

to-- onecarefullowner

i have my hearse for sale.
thats a large estate

interested???
brodgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2011, 23:43   #124
OneCarefulOwner
Allegro Advocate

Minesa: Yes, that was the one. If things had gone to plan that would have been within budget; sadly things didn't, so I stopped bidding. I'm glad he made a fair price. There's a pair on CarandClassic.co.uk at the moment, £995 each and with similar descriptions to the one that sold today - they're out there for the taking.

Brodgar: unless it has 3 rows of seats, I'm afraid I'll pass. I already have a big estate, what I was hoping to achieve was a large amount of easy-access seating for elderly relatives.

Twitter | Blog | DropBox
OneCarefulOwner is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to OneCarefulOwner For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 13th, 2011, 23:45   #125
minesa240x3
loyalty

Hi all nothing much to report but been a while so I thought a little update of sorts was due!

I had a windscreen fitted to my 740 estate by a local firm and the fella did a very good job.I spoke to him about my 940 limo while he was there and asked how much for a new front screen and removal and possible renewal if it broke?

After ringing his firm for a price he found that the rear is Laminated and has a steel surround fitted as standard.He was told"dealer part only"I then asked him how much for a non laminated and non heated rear.Before ringing he had a good look at mine.

After poking and pushing it about quite hard he reckons he will definately get it out in one piece!
It looks like it's almost out already! The top is free and nearly all the sides as well.

He also said he could do me a cheap price for removal and second visit for returning to refit.

So if I can find £350 for the roof respray minimum and enough for the windows I may just get all that sorted.The roof continues to bubble a bit more each week?new bubbles at that.Still can't imagine what happened to it to cause so much mess.

Plus the best bit,,,I will be able to slide the headlining out through the front window and recover it..RESULT.
I was also thinking of putting LED's in the lining to lite up like stars all flickering as well but as I won't be able to get it out again I'm not sure.
Maybe I will have a look at fibre optic strands as they wont even be noticed and are so much easier(I hope) to route than loads of fine cables.

Anyone ever done any fibre optic liting?

Don't hold your breath though as I have all these great ideas but never seem to have the time to make them reality.

One little thing.I got an advertising brochure from ebay.Very cheap too.
But looking through it I see it's different from the one I got from a member on here.They are both for 940 six door Limo brochures but the ebay one only has external door handles on the front and rear doors? The internal picture shows it has middle doors as you can see the lever and lock.

The one with no door handles in the middle is 100mm shorter in the body length than the other one thats like mine.
So it's 100mm shorter and the wheelbase is also 100mm shorter too?

But heres the wierdest bit they both have the same turning circle 12.7 metres.

And one other little difference is the height of the roof a tiny little 15mm,So the true six door like mine is taller.

Well that's all for now! and it's running fine after fitting another ignition amplifier..

Thanks for reading and take care.Brian.

5001 views.
The Following User Says Thank You to minesa240x3 For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 7th, 2011, 00:57   #126
minesa240x3
loyalty

Ok well nothing to add really.I just thought as sogeha asked me for some pictures showing the workings of the 940 middle seat I would post up the pictures with all my other Limo related stuff.
Quite a lot of pictures so a bit boring for anyone not trying to fit a middle seat.

Regards Brian.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1 sideview.jpg (305.9 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg 2 base up.jpg (251.6 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg 3 hinges.jpg (214.9 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg 4 hinges.jpg (303.2 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg 5 hingebase.jpg (229.2 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg 6 hinge base closeup.jpg (233.1 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg 7 backrest hinge.jpg (222.0 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg 8 sidecatch.jpg (235.6 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg 9 sidecatch.jpg (268.9 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg 10 fully up.jpg (293.3 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg 11 hinge.jpg (238.9 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg 12 tunnel rearcatch.jpg (253.7 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg 13 pillar catch.jpg (109.0 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg 14 fully forward.jpg (181.5 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg 15 from above.jpg (271.3 KB, 15 views)

Last edited by minesa240x3; Nov 7th, 2011 at 00:59. Reason: 5730 views
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to minesa240x3 For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 7th, 2011, 08:53   #127
Paul240480
Ovlovnut

Nope, not boring at all Brian. Keep 'em coming
http://moncopainmonchien.jimdo.com/
Paul240480 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Paul240480 For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 7th, 2011, 16:45   #128
sogeha
Gear Head

Default Thank you again Brian

Thank you Brian that makes everything so much easier to understand than a pile of bits on the porch floor! I didn't realize, but your car has normal sized front B posts like mine. I was worried about room to fold them forward, because 960's have a wider B post. I guess it depends if the middle doors are a similar size on yours and mine. If I can I will fit them so they fold, if not I'll fit them as fixed. Do you think the seat back is taken from an estate?

I'm going to take my middle seats out tonight, which should be fun as I can't see any fixings. Then I'll put the 960 seats in position, measure up and of to the workshop for a spot of bracket fabrication. I'll be a lot happier, it will be better looking and more comfortable, but most important, I have never been convinced jump seats are safe.

If you are still looking for information on fibre optics. I have not fitted them in a car, but used them quite a lot in industry. I have a PHD in robotics and often used them for panels, status lights and such. They are really simple to install. Radionics sell diffuses for the end if you fancy or you can just use the cut end for a pin sized light. Mount a switched bulb virtually anywhere, mount one end of the fibre optic in close proximity to the bulb, stuff the fibres where ever they have to go and get light at the other end. You could probably piggyback off one of the existing switch illumination bulbs. Some cars use fibre optic to light the ashtray. Also if you went with a seperate bulb, you could mount a small filter in front, If you got one that spins, the heat of the bulb would drive the disc and change the filter, resulting in changing colour roof lights. I hope that makes sense. I'm sure my children would love that.

Regards,
Paul
sogeha is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sogeha For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 7th, 2011, 19:45   #129
LankyTim
Missing the point

A few years ago the CO-OP changed their fleet of Volvo hearses and limos. I could pick them up for £100 a pop! Oh I wish i'd bought a few!!
LankyTim is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to LankyTim For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 8th, 2012, 23:26   #130
minesa240x3
loyalty

Well nearly eight months since I last wrote about my car.To be honest not much has happened apart from having 1060 more views since my last post Lol.,I let the mot expire in december and hope the roof respray will soon be sorted.I spoke to the guy who is doing it and he hopes the usual summer rush has started to slow down.He primarily works on MG cars and restores them for customers as well as keeping them going.I didn't count on him being so busy but seems a lot of his regulare customers like to show thier cars which at this time of the year keeps him very busy.

My reason for bringing this post back is that the roof has got incredibly bad.Massive patches of paint bubbling up,Some has lifted right off.Underneath seems to be bare metal which after a few months has started to go rusty.So curled up brittle paint?

Very strange as I assumed it had been damaged and cheaply resprayed without using a spraybooth.The metal underneath doesn't appear to be sanded or marked.Everything just lifts off clear,even the undercoat or primer.

I did wonder if the roof was plated as with some volvo panels but it does go rusty when left.Maybe it was coated but somebody sanded it down before spraying it therefore removing the coating?

Does anyone actually know if volvo coated the roofs on thier cars?

I have told the spray guy that if it needs an etch coat to make it work I will of coarse pay extra or it won't be worth doing.

I can see this being a difficult job for him.Right down in the bottom of the roof gutters is also lifting,Trying to sand in thier will be difficult as it isn't flat.It looks like a crimped effect so bumpy,And the fact as it gets to the front windscreen it narrows to nothing.

I still regularly start it and drive it around our yard which is quite a big area and has several roads just to keep it freed up and stop the brakes rusting.
It also has quite a lot of hifi bits in that I have been collecting.Including a 600watt amp and lots of different speakers including a big bass speaker.Not to mention lots of other junk.

So he hopes to do the respray soon and will let me know.
I really hope it gets done before the winter as it doesn't do it any good sitting.
I also enjoy driving it so much as it's so smooth and relaxing,My 740 is fun with it's 2.3L and manual box but for sheer luxury you can't beat the comfy nivomats and sheer weight of the Limo.

I will be brave and take some pictures of the lifting paint but be warned it isn't a pretty sight.Any help in why it's doing this would be nice as I'm completely stumped.

Take care Brian.

Present views 6790.
The Following User Says Thank You to minesa240x3 For This Useful Post: