Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General Forum for the Volvo PV, 120 and 1800 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Half shafts for racing

Views : 813

Replies : 10

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 10th, 2024, 10:46   #1
markymar93

Default Half shafts for racing

Hi. Can anyone recomend a supplier for half shafts suitable for racing.
Many thanks Mark
markymar93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10th, 2024, 18:03   #2
142 Guy
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by markymar93 View Post
Hi. Can anyone recomend a supplier for half shafts suitable for racing.
Many thanks Mark
Half shafts on an Amazon / 1800? Are you sure you have the correct forum?

The Amazon / 1800 has left and right shafts inside the axle housing; but, an upgrade to those shafts pretty much means a complete new rear axle / differential. There are no half shafts like on a front wheel drive car.

The later 1800s received the Dana 30 rear axle which was an upgrade from the Dana 27. I don't now whether the Amazon used the Dana 27 right to the end or whether the last cars received the Dana 30. If you need maximum grunt, with some modification you can fit a Ford 8.8 or 9 rear axle which should be pretty resistant to breakage.

Last edited by 142 Guy; Mar 10th, 2024 at 18:07.
142 Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12th, 2024, 15:16   #3
Derek UK
VOC Member

The shafts inside the axle are commonly called half shafts and have been historically known as that since before the FWD system became common. Named that way as the are half the axle. I think there are better quality ones available with better materials and improved heat treatment etc. Ask Rob at Amazon Cars. Not cheap!
Derek UK is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Derek UK For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 12th, 2024, 16:27   #4
142 Guy
Master Member

Volvo speak!

In the parts manual Volvo calls the left and right shafts 'drive shafts' which is not to be confused with the incorrectly labeled drive shaft which Volvo calls the 'propeller shaft'.

While on a semantics binge, a drive shaft is technically just a shaft that transfers rotary motion. A drive shaft which has a U joint at either end to accommodate offset is a cardan shaft (named after Gerolamo Cardano from the 16th century who has a very interesting history for those interested in probability theory as applied to gambling). So, Volvo's use of the term drive shaft for the two things in the back axle is correct and everybody who has been calling the cardan shaft a drive shaft is incorrect. However, semantic drift being what it is ......
Old Mar 14th, 2024, 08:49   #5
markymar93

Default Update

Hi. I have managed to find someone who can upgrade the axle and strengthen but also comply with fia regulations. Not cheap but pleased i found the company. Jist to note, they also make reference to the half shafts. Thanks
markymar93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15th, 2024, 10:13   #6
classicswede
Trader Volvo in my veins

Quote:
Originally Posted by 142 Guy View Post
Volvo speak!

In the parts manual Volvo calls the left and right shafts 'drive shafts' which is not to be confused with the incorrectly labeled drive shaft which Volvo calls the 'propeller shaft'.

While on a semantics binge, a drive shaft is technically just a shaft that transfers rotary motion. A drive shaft which has a U joint at either end to accommodate offset is a cardan shaft (named after Gerolamo Cardano from the 16th century who has a very interesting history for those interested in probability theory as applied to gambling). So, Volvo's use of the term drive shaft for the two things in the back axle is correct and everybody who has been calling the cardan shaft a drive shaft is incorrect. However, semantic drift being what it is ......
US English uses all the wrong words for items and to really confuse things they use words for other items in the drive system! Canada seems to use the same wrong words as where down under they use the correct english in most cases but the high levels of wrong english on the net is polluting real english.

Shaft from gearbox to axle is the propshaft - Europe tends to use Cardan shaft
Shafts inside the axle from diff to wheel are half shafts
External shafts from axle to wheel with CV are drive shafts
classicswede is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to classicswede For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 15th, 2024, 10:15   #7
classicswede
Trader Volvo in my veins

There is a thread on the turbo bricks forum that covers half shafts from some other axles that have a cast flange rather than splines. The incorporated flange is stronger than the taper originally used.
Old Mar 15th, 2024, 16:36   #8
142 Guy
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by classicswede View Post
US English uses all the wrong words for items and to really confuse things they use words for other items in the drive system! Canada seems to use the same wrong words as where down under they use the correct english in most cases but the high levels of wrong english on the net is polluting real english.
Having had the opportunity to talk to (or more like just listen to) some Yorkshiremen, I don't think the English have a lock on correct semantics or syntax. The residents of the Antipodes also seem to have their own version of semantic drift. Perhaps those qualify as being dialects derived from English as opposed to being English?
Old Mar 15th, 2024, 21:56   #9
classicswede
Trader Volvo in my veins

The words used very a lot across the country and that is in part down to the cultural makeup of Brittons, Irish, Pict, Saxon, Jutes, Angles and Danes along with later Norman. Spoken English does vary a huge amount in the Uk regions
The Following User Says Thank You to classicswede For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 16th, 2024, 12:13   #10
blueosprey90
Master Member

Are you building a racecar Markymar? How about a few pics?

I rarely see the vintage Volvo race car, but when I do. I can never pass them.

It must be those B18 and B20 engines!

https://youtu.be/pX_s1ZAGR10?si=ybNFq03b6z6-Nq63

Last edited by blueosprey90; Mar 16th, 2024 at 12:15.
blueosprey90 is offline   Reply With Quote