Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S40 / V40 '96-'04 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S40 / V40 '96-'04 General Forum for the Volvo S40 and V40 (Classic) Series from 1995-2004.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

marker light not working

Views : 1436

Replies : 16

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 21st, 2007, 20:35   #1
crosser

Default marker light not working

can anyone tell me how to remove a rear side marker light on my phase 2 t4? ive ordered a haynes but mot due tomorrow so need to sort it in the morning..

thanks
crosser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21st, 2007, 21:16   #2
scottishvolvo
Premier Member

AFAIK the marker lights are not a testable item. I'm sure some one here with more knowledge will confirm this or tell me I am talking keech(ch as in loch)
2014 V40 Cross Country
Please consider registering with the Anthony Nolan Trust, you could save a life.
scottishvolvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21st, 2007, 22:47   #3
Ex Bmw owner

You have to drop the side of the rear bumper down and access it from the back.Failing that if you cover both rear lights with gaffer tape I don't think they can fail it on them.They only have to work if they're fitted and visable as far as i'm aware
Ex Bmw owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21st, 2007, 23:17   #4
Jocksuper7
Grease Monkey

phase 2 maker lights just prize out, i think from the rear there is a metal retaining spring that holds it in place, gently get a GS (flatblade) screwdriver and try both sides bit i am sure its the rear that will release first, the you 1/4 turn the bulb out, easy peasy i beleive the phase one ones are much harder to get out.

Be warned though i have been pulled by the cops for having smoked markers with white bulbs, so i had to change them to ambers to keep the Feds happy
Jocksuper7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21st, 2007, 23:58   #5
andy_scs

I was going to take the bulbs out of mine (because they annoy me being on) and change the lenses to smoked ones.

Andy
andy_scs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22nd, 2007, 07:39   #6
MidnightT4

On a phase 2 the markers just prise out with a small flatheasd screwdriver at one side.
MidnightT4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22nd, 2007, 13:38   #7
Blackie

So the phase one's you have to drop the bumper down? My Pass side rear aint working and the bulb doe snot seem changeable and I cant see where the wiring goes so that I can remove/replace the unit.

1993 Vaux Cavalier 1.8LSi(SRi lookylike)

Northern Ireland, THE place to cruise
Blackie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22nd, 2007, 15:32   #8
inmans40

the marker lights are not tested on the mot. the rear one can be accessed from underneath and reaching up.
inmans40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22nd, 2007, 18:22   #9
Toblerone

I just prised mine out with a thin screwdriver, protecting the bumper with a cloth.

There's nothing you can do with the unit once it's out though - it's totally sealed and you need a new one to replace it. Also, they don't appear to have any wiring connectors visable, and the new ones are supplied with bare wires, therefore you need to crimp or solder them onto the existing wires.

I don't think Volvo planned them as a user servicable item, but 2 of mine were out. Good excuse for a smoked set!
Toblerone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22nd, 2007, 19:55   #10
hansol

Original ones are supplied with the conector. I got to my rear ones by loosening the wheelarch liner. Its a bit knuckle scrapper but still only a 10 min job.
hansol is offline   Reply With Quote