Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Bulbs - 150% Brighter Worth It?

Views : 1541

Replies : 30

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 3rd, 2021, 20:32   #1
anotheruser

Default Bulbs - 150% Brighter Worth It?

Just bought a 66 plate V40 and was working out which bulbs in my spares box would fit.

Used Halfords website to help me and I wondered what people think of their bulbs that are "150% brighter" or whether branded bulbs work better than the normal Halfords ones?

The only thing I'd expect brands to do would be to last longer but in terms of use, are they better?
Old Feb 3rd, 2021, 21:29   #2
Bonefishblues
Premier Member

Lots of bulb threads, worth a search on site.
Bonefishblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3rd, 2021, 21:37   #3
DSK
C70 T5

Generally a lot depends on lamp design as well.

E.g. my 2013 Astra GTC, 1998 BMW, 1995 Supra, 2000 Volvo's all work great with standard halogens. My 2007 Mercedes CLS with halogen, correctly aligned lights and perfect lens is shocking terrible with standard halogens (not even Nighbreakers made a difference).

As for bulbs themselves, bulbs from a reputable brand such as Philips and Osram will last and work well. Osram Night Breakers tend to be the favourite but, I have found Philips to offer the longest life span.

2000 C70 T5 GT Coupe
1998 S70R / 1995 Toyota Supra Twin Turbo
2007 Mercedes CLS 320 CDI / 2011 Mercedes S350 Bluetec
2007 Suzuki GSXR-1000
DSK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4th, 2021, 07:23   #4
anotheruser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonefishblues View Post
Lots of bulb threads, worth a search on site.
Yes, lots but not any that ask this question directly.
I searched thread titles for "bulbs".
Old Feb 4th, 2021, 08:11   #5
Bonefishblues
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by anotheruser View Post
Yes, lots but not any that ask this question directly.
I searched thread titles for "bulbs".
I'm sorry I misled you. I think there are 2 questions:

Brighter bulbs are significantly brighter, yes, but compromise on longevity*, and are more expensive. I no longer use them as a result, others see sufficient benefit to use them.

*6 months or so IME with Osram Nightbreakers.

I see no discernible difference between regular Halfords bulbs and branded bulbs.
Bonefishblues is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bonefishblues For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 4th, 2021, 08:54   #6
ITSv40
VOC Member

With my previous V40 - permanent daylight running lights - I was always popping into Halfords to buy bulbs. It seemed the car lights were like fairy lights on a Christmas tree, impossible to keep a full set of working bulbs for any length of time. I knew I should have bought better bulbs, but just couldn't be bothered.

When I bought the current V40 - same daylight running lights - I was determined to buy better bulbs. I checked all bulbs fitted as bought and without exception they were all Osram. Osram being original equipment and the car having full Volvo history. I fitted a complete set of replacement Osram bulbs - front and back - and 70,000mls later have only replaced one rear sidelight bulb.
ITSv40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4th, 2021, 10:12   #7
bornmiddleaged
:-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonefishblues View Post
.... but compromise on longevity*, and are more expensive.

*6 months or so IME with Osram Nightbreakers.
bulbs.
Absolutely this. I also had a set of Nightbreakers on my old Skoda Octavia. One lasted about 8 months and I got that replaced under warranty, IIRC the other side lasted just over a year. That is with annual mileage of around 11,000.

It will depend what sort of driving you do, I am generally either in town with streetlights, or on the motorway during rush hour when there are plenty of other cars about and therefore did not see any benefit from the brighter lights.
If you drive a lot on quiet, unlit single carriageway roads, then they may be of benefit.
Old Feb 4th, 2021, 11:24   #8
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by anotheruser View Post
Just bought a 66 plate V40 and was working out which bulbs in my spares box would fit.

Used Halfords website to help me and I wondered what people think of their bulbs that are "150% brighter" or whether branded bulbs work better than the normal Halfords ones?

The only thing I'd expect brands to do would be to last longer but in terms of use, are they better?
Yes you might find an 8% to 10% improvement ! anything better is good ...
Old Feb 4th, 2021, 14:24   #9
DaveNP
Non VOC Member

I did buy 'brighter' bulbs for my V70 and there is a difference. I don't recall the brand but I think I arrived at them by checking a few comparison tests online for bright bulbs and got the ones that seemed the best. The life of an individual bulb can vary quite a bit and some of the big name big price brands were not that much better than the cheap ones.
Ultimately I know my problem is the deterioration of the reflectors in the headlight and I expect dealing with that will make a more significant difference.

David
V70 2.5 10v Torslanda Manual 98 Sreg
DaveNP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4th, 2021, 15:42   #10
Brimfull
V50 R-Design SE T5 baby!!

I fitted a pair of Phillips xtreme bulbs to my 2006 Seat Leon. When looking at the headlights, the Phillips bulbs produced a more white light than the standard bulbs but when driving you could not tell any difference.

V50 T5 R-Design SE
Brimfull is offline   Reply With Quote