Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Fixing up a old car

Views : 2014

Replies : 14

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 11th, 2013, 13:08   #11
alexstanleyv50

Quick update: Called local dealer - ATF change and software upgrade £180 (inc vat). Good price or not????

Waiting for indi to get back to me......
alexstanleyv50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11th, 2013, 13:35   #12
Coventry
Master Member

Not sure how handy with the spanners you are but a simple sump-dump style gearbox oil change is very very easy. Would save you a lot of money.

24mm spanner on the sump plug. 3-4 litres of oil out. Measure it accurately. Replace with exactly the same amount of JWS 3309 through the dipstick tube using a Halfords extended funnel. Job jobbed.
Coventry is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Coventry For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 11th, 2013, 14:19   #13
alexstanleyv50

I am happy to do the sump-dump. Just dont realy know what to do about updating the software...... I guess I can just take it down to the dealer/indi and get them to update etc etc unless there is a way of doing it myself... It's just a case of looking at all the optionas available.

I'm not too bothered about throwing a bit of money at the car - if it means I will get another 100k out of her before things go pop!
Old Dec 11th, 2013, 15:25   #14
TurboZutek
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexstanleyv70 View Post
Yes I do get a flare from 2nd to 3rd but only under REALLY light throttle - when giving it the beans the box uses all the revs and changes are exquisitly smooth - I couldn't do half as good a job myself in a manual.
I'd have the boxes oil pressure checked at idle and under load. That can be a symptom of a weak ATF pump (and also 100 other things).

I'd really have it checked very carefully before investing anything else into the car.

Chris...
Old Dec 13th, 2013, 14:53   #15
alexstanleyv50

Well a got a call back from the indi and they were really helpful. They said about testing preasure etc before doing anything else and wanted to do a little digging around the car to make sure I'm not going to be dealing with a FUBAR box in six months time.

They have sugested that it may be worth looking at the top engine mount and torque mount for the gearbow as this can cause rough changes.....?

I also noticed today that my off side fog lamp doesnt work. On closer inspection there is a part missing - it is orange and the cable with a grey 'plug' clicks into it. Fog bulb then fits into the other end and is inserted into the lamp and twisted to lock it. Any ideas where to get one? I really dont want to have to buy a new lamp assembly!

Tags
bushes, central locking, suspension, timing belt, water pump