Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

850 T5 Suspension Suggestions?

Views : 1353

Replies : 15

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 10th, 2015, 19:25   #1
airchie

Question 850 T5 Suspension Suggestions?

Hi guys,

I recently bought a nice 850 T5 and spent a bit on getting it machanically sound. It's looking like it's needing the steering rack replaced and I've noticed a little bit of knocking from the suspension too. So I figured I'd get the suspension remedied at the same time as the steering rack.

So I'm looking for suggestions.
I don't really want it lowered or rock hard, I'm pretty happy with the standard feel of it. Just wondering if there's anything better than the stock volvo parts that might even be cheaper?

Is it worth replacing everything or just looking at shocks/springs/mounts/bushes individually?
I'd probably feel happier getting everything replaced at the same time so I know everything is as it should be. So any complete kits that are available for a reasonable price would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance all.

Craig
airchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10th, 2015, 19:35   #2
T5Sweep
Master Member

Just as an idea, I was knocking from the front end and as I was already running a cat-back, big filter and a 304 map I was wanting it to handle a little better.

I went OE on drop links, wishbones, rod ends and spring seat cup thingys, I also went 40mm Apex springs and wishbone poly bushes with an upper strut brace. Even on the mix match tyres it had before I was surprised at how well it went around bends! It's now on Parade Spec 2's and handles fantastic for such a big beast.
T5Sweep is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to T5Sweep For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 11th, 2015, 12:34   #3
airchie

'Scuse the ignorance, what's OE? Original Equipment? ie Volvo?
Old Feb 11th, 2015, 13:05   #4
RollingThunder
Grumpy Old Git

If you're happy with the ride quality and height, I'd leave the springs alone and just fit new shocks - if you go to GSF or ECP you should be able to get the original Boge shocks at a reasonable price. If its an estate with self levelling (Nivomats) then you could fit a conversion kit which is about half the price of replacing the Nivomats - thats for springs, shocks and mounts.

You haven't mentioned wanting to improve the handling, so I'd be tempted to just replace which ever bushes are worn (and check the engine/gearbox mounts too). Again, I'd get OEM or Meyle or Febi(Bilstein) parts - they're all excellent quality and if you shop around you'll find some good prices. Also if you subscribe to the GSF/ECP email newletters you'll get some discount codes sent to you pretty frequently - 33/50% seems common over the last couple of months, so worth waiting for if you can.

Don't forget to check your brakes and tyres and keep on top of them

HTH

edit -

OE/OEM - original equipment/Volvo branded
GSF - German Swedish & French
ECP - Euro Car Parts
RollingThunder is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RollingThunder For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 11th, 2015, 14:58   #5
airchie

So would I be right in thinking that provided the springs aren't excessively corroded or actually snapped that there's no point in replacing them?

If so, I could buy new shocks for each corner and then I'd be sorted?

How about mounts, bushes, sway bars, anti-roll bars etc I hear mentioned?
Are any of those likely to need replacing or more likely to fail once I put new shocks in?
Or are there any other parts I could look to replace to sharpen things up?
I'm not looking to massively improve the handling as I'm not doing track days or anything, just looking for enjoyable and trouble-free driving.

Thanks in advance...

The brakes have recently been uprated and tyres are new on all 4 corners.
Old Feb 11th, 2015, 23:04   #6
blackrevolver
Premier Member

When I recently replaced my shocks, i also replaced upper/lower mounts and coil springs. Research did tell me I didn't have to replace the springs as they are designed to last the lifetime of the car, yet in terms of the ride quality if you replace the shocks and mounts and your current springs aren't damaged then it won't cause an issue.

Just if you're paying for a garage to do the work, the entire strut assembly has to be removed then it would make sense to replace the whole assembly if your planning on keeping the car.

But if you're doing the work yourself then you can replace as and when but don't buy one of the cheap spring seats as they get destroyed fairly quickly.
blackrevolver is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to blackrevolver For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 11th, 2015, 23:34   #7
S1_RS

On my old 850 T5 that I got at 150k, the best thing I did was to replace the front suspension arm bushes with Polybush items, tightens up the steering feel no end. With regard to the springs, when I got my 82k mile V70 I found it very soft compared to my 850, so swapped all the springs from the 850 to the V70, they're still on 46k later having done 200k on the 850.
S1_RS is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to S1_RS For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 13th, 2015, 10:31   #8
airchie

Thanks guys, this is some excellent info.

Regarding poly bushes, is there a list of the various bushes that can be replaced with poly bushes? from what I understand they're just better in every way than the rubber ones.

I'll be getting the work done in a garage as I have nowhere to do it myself.
I'm dreaming of the day that I buy a house and start collecting the various tools needed to try some of this work myself...
Old Feb 14th, 2015, 08:01   #9
theador

The springs will get softer, also if there's ever been a weight challenged owner, you'll have more sag on the drivers side. I've put Eibach Springs and Bilstein B4 shocks on my 850R, and I'm about to put some spring assisters on the rear as I quite often carry a lot in the boot.

The eibachs run pretty much the same ride height as the original R springs, a bit lower at the back but the asisters should bring it back to stock. The B4's are essentially OE spec.

With a set of IPD ARB's as well, the handling is fantastic, it is a firm ride but not a bone shaker, at speed it's very smooth,and handles amazingly. It out-corners a hell a lot of so called 'sport' model cars.
theador is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14th, 2015, 11:28   #10
airchie

IPD ARBs? :-D
The Following User Says Thank You to airchie For This Useful Post:

Tags
850, bushes, shocks, springs, suspension