Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General

Notices

PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General Forum for the Volvo PV, 120 and 1800 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

1961 Volvo PV544 in Holland

Views : 83226

Replies : 750

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 20th, 2018, 13:58   #321
Army
marches on his stomach

Bit of an update:

I've been trying to find a dip and strip place that will get rid of all of the filler and paint on the body panels for me. In the UK this wouldn't be too difficult to find (well twenty years ago it wasn't) but here in Holland I've been struggling.

I've only found four places in the country that do this type of work. One is booked up until September and the other one that has responded wants more than a grand...

...looks like DIY is the only option as usual (!)
1992 Mercedes 190E The car that works!
Army is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20th, 2018, 14:40   #322
amazon69
Premier Member

You've just got to keep on trudging on. Sounds like you're at the point where you don't want to see it any more. It enters your dreams. Been there with bare metalling my Bristol. That was coated with some sort of military grade primer that no chemical would touch. Thought I was going to lose my mind grinding that all back. Got there in the end though. Go do something else on the car when the thought of paint stripping makes you want to scream. You'll get there.
The Following User Says Thank You to amazon69 For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 20th, 2018, 16:29   #323
Army
marches on his stomach

Quote:
Originally Posted by amazon69 View Post
You've just got to keep on trudging on. Sounds like you're at the point where you don't want to see it any more. It enters your dreams. Been there with bare metalling my Bristol. That was coated with some sort of military grade primer that no chemical would touch. Thought I was going to lose my mind grinding that all back. Got there in the end though. Go do something else on the car when the thought of paint stripping makes you want to scream. You'll get there.
I'm not quite at the point where I want to stop - usually when that happens I start thinking about the next project (!) and I'm not there just yet.

The costs of the super expensive paint stripper and all of the other stuff is mounting up more alarmingly than the time involved scraping which is also making me think this "quick project" is getting even more out of hand than was ever planned.

When you see piles like this =>

(And) you are vaguely aware of the cost of the consumables so far you start to think about easier ways. I'd be happy to part with 300 or 400 euros for a pain free solution as that's getting to be about double the price spent on removing upper body paint consumables so far - so paying someone twice what it would cost you do to it yourself isn't such a bad ratio / multiplier. Unfortunately Dutch labour prices seem to be striking again - they seem to work on multipliers of four times or more of what it would cost you to DIY. That's why I usually go for the time rich DIY solution (in other words I'm paying for them to sit around and drink coffee all day!)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1961 Volvo pv544 porstrip16.JPG (259.8 KB, 84 views)
File Type: jpg 1961 Volvo pv544 porstrip17.JPG (238.9 KB, 90 views)
Old Jul 20th, 2018, 18:04   #324
norustplease

Is Soda Blasting an option?
norustplease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20th, 2018, 19:18   #325
Army
marches on his stomach

Quote:
Originally Posted by norustplease View Post
Is Soda Blasting an option?
It might be (guessing not) but it is a rather expensive solution as soda only gets used once (not a reusable medium). I'd expect the quotes to be frightening.

I have a large sand blasting cabinet where I could easily get a wing in: Normally I use speedblast which is quite a light medium (but not as light as soda). Speedblast is good in so much that it tends not to cause warping of panels but I can't see it making any effect what so ever on this paint work - the filler is too thick.

When sand blasting, a hard surface is easier - softer surfaces are more resistant - local surface elasticity absorbs the impact of the sand. To counteract this you need to use larger (heavier) medium and potentially higher pressures to see speedier effects - this is pretty dangerous on thin sheet metal - you'll end up with warped crumpled muck if you're not careful...
Old Jul 21st, 2018, 15:50   #326
Army
marches on his stomach

Default Going going...

...almost gone

PS - has anyone here ever used Metstrip before?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1961 Volvo pv544 porstrip18.JPG (93.9 KB, 77 views)
Old Jul 22nd, 2018, 15:01   #327
Army
marches on his stomach

Default Bad news : Good news

Bad news - ran out of bloody paint stripper

The doors and the boot lid and the rear wings have been attacked with clean & strip discs and sanding discs ready for the next stage - paint stripper

But that's about as far as I can be bothered to go with it at the moment.

(!)

Good news - running out of paint stripper has forced me to look for an alternative.

The Land Rover Series 2 club speak a lot about Synstrip. This is difficult to find in Holland but I have managed it. It seems to have good reviews so by the end of this forthcoming week I should hopefully be in a position to find out if that's true. I'm buying it from a previously unknown supplier so we'll have to see how that pans out...

...if the Synstrip doesn't work I'm planning to try Metstrip from a place where I have bought stuff before but that was slightly more expensive.

Both Synstrip and Metstrip seem to be similar (as in acid based) but both work out to be cheaper than the PORstrip (in Holland). I hope this Synstrip turns out to be better and cheaper than the PORstrip

Fingers crossed.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1961 Volvo pv544 ran out of paint stripper.JPG (126.3 KB, 75 views)
Old Jul 23rd, 2018, 12:55   #328
Army
marches on his stomach

Default Forget to mention a bit of Health and Safety related stuff

Dust from sanding is a blinking nightmare. It is not only uncomfortable and irritating it is dangerous.

Sweeping up with a dustpan and brush will only get you so far - in the end you have to use a (workshop) vacuum cleaner...

...problem is with fine dust and vacuum cleaners is that the filters and bags block up really quickly. The cost of the filters and bags can quickly reach ridiculous levels - even if you spend ages searching the interweb for the cheapest deals.

To combat the cost of vacuum cleaner filters and bags I built this =>

The workshop vacuum cleaner is a DIY semi-industrial SIP thing that is essentially a big bucket with a motor stuck on top of it.

The dustbin behind it is indeed a dustbin and on top I built a cyclone collector. This little tangent of a project was inspired by this chap here =>

http://www.jpthien.com/cy.htm

This solution is known on the interweb as the Thein Cyclone Dust Extractor. It is really aimed at woodworkers but it helps a lot for separating sanded body filler too!

Example of one in action here =>

https://youtu.be/3QCAOwSqrko

Not mine - I tried to bend cheapo DIY shop bought perspex but failed. My escapades are in my Land Rover thread =>

https://www.landyzone.co.uk/land-rov...298002/page-45

Anyway I thought it might of interest to you good folks here.

The critical amongst you might feel that my economics are a bit out of whack - sure this system did cost money that could in principle have been spent on filters and bags - however in the long run it will pay for itself and as there is an additional filter stage in the whole dust extraction process the chances of the finest particles getting all the way through the cylcone and then the SIP vacuum cleaner its protective bag over the filter - the filter and the machine is reduced. So it is potentially a better healthier option...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Cylcone dust extractor.JPG (223.4 KB, 71 views)
Old Jul 26th, 2018, 16:46   #329
Army
marches on his stomach

Default Synstrip arrived

I tried it today on the rear LH wing

This is an easy job as these parts have been stripped most recently - the paint is the thinnest (not like the sedimentary layers on the doors)

Much like the PORstrip there is a visible reaction within the first 15 mins

After three coats and a fair amount of scraping with the stripping knife I got it to be this good =>

I think it is about as effective as PORstrip would have been on this part

The fumes are low like PORstrip too

There is a massive difference in performance however - with the PORstrip you can be quite relaxed. Once the paint is gone you don't need to get a sweat on removing it from the bare metal. With synstrip you do.

Washing in water isn't enough - you get a light rust (perhaps rust-like) thing going on

This isn't a massive problem so long as you can get to the paint stripper - think inside doors or spot welded parts for example - not very nice.

Still with water and detergent it comes off alright

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1961 Volvo pv544 synstrip1.JPG (253.2 KB, 58 views)
File Type: jpg 1961 Volvo pv544 synstrip2.JPG (131.0 KB, 56 views)
File Type: jpg 1961 Volvo pv544 synstrip3.JPG (135.5 KB, 55 views)
File Type: jpg 1961 Volvo pv544 synstrip4.JPG (74.7 KB, 57 views)
The Following User Says Thank You to Army For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 27th, 2018, 14:20   #330
Army
marches on his stomach

Default Little bit more on Synstrip

This time on the remaining parts of the sedimentary layers of filler and crap on the driver's door (LHS)

As you can see I've had a bit of a go already - two or three layers of PORstrip have been and gone - and I've attacked it with a clean & strip disc too (spreading dust everywhere of course)

Only the thinnest parts of the paint start to bubble / curl within the first 15 minutes

BUT the synstrip does soak in much further allowing better results when scraping =>

I now reckon the synstrip is at least twice as effective as the PORstrip - may be three times better at getting the thickest filler shifted. You still need to use a lot of elbow grease to get this far however.

Following some internet instructions (no instructions on the bottle) I tried wrapping in paper (paper this time as I guess plastic will be eaten)

Perhaps the paper helped a bit - hard to tell the temperature today in the workshop is about 40 degrees C

Arguably a bit too warm for paint stripper - certainly too warm for spraying epoxy (!)

After second soak and scrape I got this far (took about 60 minutes or so) =>

As learnt yesterday with the wing cleaning the synstrip away after use is crucial. Water and cheapo alloy wheel cleaner today

(I can't really recommend cheapo wheel cleaner for cleaning wheels but it can come in useful for other things once in a while!)

I didn't have time to apply the last few dabs of synstrip as I got other stuff to do today but as the filler and paint was still a bit soft I gave it a quick wazz with a soft wire brush on the angle grinder =>

I've discovered that contrary to my initial findings this door is probably original after all (not a replacement) as it has the original colour underneath =>

It is amazing it has survived so well considering how buggered the door and window seals were
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1961 Volvo pv544 synstrip5.JPG (253.3 KB, 52 views)
File Type: jpg 1961 Volvo pv544 synstrip6.JPG (180.8 KB, 52 views)
File Type: jpg 1961 Volvo pv544 synstrip7.JPG (197.5 KB, 52 views)
File Type: jpg 1961 Volvo pv544 synstrip8.JPG (87.4 KB, 51 views)
File Type: jpg 1961 Volvo pv544 synstrip9.JPG (139.1 KB, 52 views)
File Type: jpg 1961 Volvo pv544 synstrip10.JPG (207.8 KB, 51 views)
File Type: jpg 1961 Volvo pv544 synstrip11.JPG (221.0 KB, 52 views)
File Type: jpg 1961 Volvo pv544 synstrip12.JPG (92.6 KB, 52 views)